Page 1 of 4
so i got into a lil scuffle with my gf's dad about when metallica started

he sais early 70's...and jsut would not listen to reason

so i was thinking theres probably some worse ones out there

i wanna see how many there are involving the number of strings on a bass
haha

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I was asked once if the System of a Down song on the radio was Disturbed. And when I said no, I was TOLD it was System of a Down.

If that doesn't qualify I don't know what does.
My friend and I once had an argument over the difference between major triads and major thirds.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
I had an argument with some guy listening to indie music. Telling me it was a better genre than rock, punk or whatever, just name it.
I have to argue my "sanity" with my girlfriend as she thinks Buckethead is a weird **** whereas I worship him
"is that a guitar? how come its missing two strings?"

"...Its a bass... Douchebag"

"WTFs a bass?!"

Went along the lines of that for a bit
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
I'm sure I've been in some stupid ones in my day, but I can't remember. The only argument I can remember right now was one with my ex. I was trying to explain "Musical prostitution" to her and she just wouldn't listen. For me music is a religious thing, for most it isn't and she was in the majority. She didn't see the difference between making a living and spreading a message with music and trying to get rich and famous making music. I say to her "music is no different than sex, sex is an incredible soulful act till it's cheapened by the prospect for money, then it becomes meaningless. People that do the same with music are no more that prostitutes." The concept flew right over her head. I guess that isn't a stupid argument, damn I suck. If I remember a good one I'll post it.
I play in the worship band on Sunday mornings at my church. We play lots of songs that modulate, which I hate, and I shared that with the pianist. I said that modulating A) sounds incredibly corny and showy the vast majority of the time, and B) if the chord structure, melody and whatnot were actually interesting, most songs wouldn't need modulation to keep the song from being repetitive. She said that it is not showy and that it's only on songs that have the same chord progression over and over again, which proved my point.

I also once told the music pastor that he was singing a 6/8 song at the wrong tempo and he wouldn't hear of it. It was actually kind of funny because everyone else, including said pianist who is his wife, agreed with me that he was singing, somehow, in a completely different time signature. What wasn't so funny was that I thought I was going to die because I questioned his musical authority.
Quote by Yawsbass
I play in the worship band on Sunday mornings at my church. We play lots of songs that modulate, which I hate, and I shared that with the pianist. I said that modulating A) sounds incredibly corny and showy the vast majority of the time, and B) if the chord structure, melody and whatnot were actually interesting, most songs wouldn't need modulation to keep the song from being repetitive. She said that it is not showy and that it's only on songs that have the same chord progression over and over again, which proved my point.

I also once told the music pastor that he was singing a 6/8 song at the wrong tempo and he wouldn't hear of it. It was actually kind of funny because everyone else, including said pianist who is his wife, agreed with me that he was singing, somehow, in a completely different time signature. What wasn't so funny was that I thought I was going to die because I questioned his musical authority.

id be watching my back for a good smiteing (sp?) if i was you

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
i cant tell you the number of times my roommate has misnamed a band or a song. the best one being
me - "nirvana did teen spirit"
roomie - "nuh uh, metallica did"

noob? yes. phail? most definitely.
alternate finger positions for simple cords - 2 fingers for an a, and using my pinky at times on power cords.

edited to add: coments from a drummer who did not play guitar.
Someone trying to tell me that In Flames were the same genre as Dimmu Borgir. Then saying that genre was melodic death.

That guy is a n00b, and for the record, Dimmu Borgir are Symphonic black metal.
Quote by Hammerzeit
Someone trying to tell me that In Flames were the same genre as Dimmu Borgir. Then saying that genre was melodic death.

That guy is a n00b, and for the record, Dimmu Borgir are Symphonic black metal.

If you are being serious then you need to chill out. Half of genres are just made up by junk magazines that are trying to be hip.
For me its just the usual case of "bass is easy to play all you do is Do-Do-Do and follow the guitar" or "you cant even hear the bass" and the main one for me is the biggest most annoying phrase ever " Real bassists use their fingers" - its like WHY WHY WHY does it????
Me and my guitarist had an argument about the way we play a bar in the chorus of supermassive black hole by muse, all it was was one little note but both of our stubbornness made everyone hate to think about the band for the day. Ofc, now we just look back and laugh at our foolishness.
Quote by BFun
"is that a guitar? how come its missing two strings?"

"...Its a bass... Douchebag"

"WTFs a bass?!"

Went along the lines of that for a bit

I call fake.
There's this kid at work, who constantly bitches about hating "traditions" and "rock music", he only listens to obscure stuff for the sake of obscurity, not because it's good. I gave him a good shot in the balls by saying, "well, why the hell do you play guitar? go play the f'ing baseball bat or something!"

Also, WTF is this in the bass forum for?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Avante-garde much? Eff-sharp anyone?

But besides that, it wasn't really an arguement, but I had to explain to a roomate that What if God Was One of Us was not written and sung by Alanis Morissette.

I've also argued about heavily sampled rap songs that the listeners don't know they're sampled, and don't care.

Also, people defending pandering pop music (P!nk and Rehab by Amy Winehouse much?) are particularly annoying. I'm sure I'll think of more.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
On this forum the "Ramones are not punk argument" still stands out for me.

In life, I live with a walking encyclopedia of rock music, so I know better than to argue with him on any facts. But I did meet my husband through a rock argument of sorts. He was standing by the copier at work discussing the soon to be cast Oliver Stone movie "The Doors". He argued that John Cougar Mellancamp would make a good Jim Morrison. Not knowing him from Adam, I told him he was full of crap and he didn't know what he was talking about.

We ended up engaged less than 6 months later. So that was one stupid argument that had a good ending.
Quote by mr barnicals
just the other day, i had a debate with a friend, trying to prove to him that screaming or growling is not singing.

You're lucky he tolerates you for wasting his time like that.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i had an agurment with my m8 over the KSE song end of heartache.
he was convinced Element of One was actually End Of Heartache.
i beat him with my old crappy leads lol.
Quote by mr barnicals
just the other day, i had a debate with a friend, trying to prove to him that screaming or growling is not singing.

false.
"dude thats not the damn line play this!"
"thats the lead guitar part"
"yeah but it sounds cooler"
"well i like the bass part for bass"
"but its just too low to hear"
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
i had an argument on here with some kid about how over rated geezer butler is but other than that i'm lucky enough to be friends with a lot of good musicians so i don't get the turn your bass down **** or the stop doing that just play the root ****
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote from my mom:
"Why do you need such an expensive bass? All of these are the same thing."
When I started looking for my first bass, she didn't understand the difference between a bass and a guitar.
I'm going to go with the "lol bass is so easy to play" argument. I can't stand it when people are that ignorant.

It's also annoying when people don't even know what the bass is/does. They can't help being musical noobs, though.
not so much an arguement, but i thought i might as well put this cuz i found it amusing to say the least

(on the subject of my choice of first bass)
dad: so what does it come with then?
me: pretty much everything, spare strings, bag, tuner
mum: what?
me: tuner
*mum looks at me a bit funny*
me: no mum, not the fish...

and there' was a point where i thought spinal tap was a real band, though i didn't get into an arguement over it, i just gave a resigned 'oh...well i dunno, do i'
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Someone told me Akon was more skilled than Rhandy Rhoads, Slash, and Victor Wooten combined...
Quote by Armagedn
Someone told me Akon was more skilled than Rhandy Rhoads, Slash, and Victor Wooten combined...

Of course he is! And with songs like "I Wanna Fuck You", he's classier, too!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
the brother of my gf was arguing with me that the guitar he has (yamaha starter pack) was the same as the guitar of brain adams (a fender strat)

like this it sounds stupid but wait until you hear him arguing :p
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
I've once engaged in an argument of whether "indie" is a genre or a status.
Quote by Narcotics
so i got into a lil scuffle with my gf's dad about when metallica started

he sais early 70's...and jsut would not listen to reason

so i was thinking theres probably some worse ones out there

This is not the first time I heard this argument on UG. Did you post about this before?
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Oh man, I had a big argument about J.S. Bach today. It was craaaaazy!

I claimed that he had made a mistake in St.Matthew's Passion because not only did he repeat 3rds in a harmony, but also because he had all the vocal lines moving in the same direction!!!!

I KNOW!

It was crazy!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I had a stupid argument with a bandmate over a lick I wrote. I wrote it in 6/8, but for some crazy reason we decided to do that part in triplets instead of 6/8. We played it and he informed me I was playing it wrong. I told him no, I wasn't and he insisted I was. We traded off playing the thing with him saying "you're doing it wrong" and me saying "I'm doing the exact same thing you're doing." We were both playing it right, but we were emphasizing the notes differently, because of me being used to playing it in a different time sig. I was still emphasizing it like 6/8 and he was doing triplets.

Turns out I was halfway wrong in that respect, but it was incredibly stupid because we sat there for 20 minutes arguing over something tiny like how to emphasize certain notes.

Quote by Nutter_101
Oh man, I had a big argument about J.S. Bach today. It was craaaaazy!

I claimed that he had made a mistake in St.Matthew's Passion because not only did he repeat 3rds in a harmony, but also because he had all the vocal lines moving in the same direction!!!!

I KNOW!

It was crazy!

I think I missed the joke.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I think I got nutter's joke.

This isn't really an argument, but I told my friend I was getting bass lessons and he said "what do you need lessons for? You already know how to slap." It was a WTF moment.

Also yeah, the people who say bass is easier than guitar because it has less strings. It goes a little deeper than that. Just a little.
Quote by t3hrav3n

I think I missed the joke.

typically when writing voice harmonies they dont move in the same direction. this is because it can lead to things like parallel fifths and octaves.
I wasn't making a joke. Apparently, you're allowed to do that with Bach Chorales providing you show that J.S. did it himself in a particular composition.

He can do no wrong. Praise be to Bach.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Page 1 of 4