So I was pretty dead set on getting an ampeg svt cl that they had at guitar center for $1000US. It sounded better than anything i'd ever played and it was 600 less than online. it was the floor model but even if i had to replace tubes i came out ahead. Sure it was an ampeg and not very versatile but i loved the sound. but then I went into a local guitar shop for some bass strings and I saw an Eden WT550 head. I had to try it. It didn't take me long to dial in a deep sound that i liked as much as the ampeg's. sure it wasn't identical but the ampeg was all tube and this is hybrid. But I could get just about any sound i possible wanted from this amp. It was amazing. at first i was worried it wouldn't sound as good through my crate 4x10's but I wasrunning it through gk backline 4x10 there so it wasn't like a real high end cabinet either. so now i think i'm pretty well dead set on this amp but I wanted to post on here to see if anybody had any objections to Eden and their stuff for any reason. as far as i know it's pretty high quality stuff and harmony central looked pretty good on the reviews. anyways here it is. i'm getting it for 1100.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Eden-WT550-Traveler-Bass-Head?sku=488203

one thing it doesn't mention on there is that it's made to run without any cabinets hooked up if you want to use it with headphones. now i've heard it damages tube amps to not have stuff hooked up and i kind of assumed it was the same for ss just so i wouldn't hurt anything. anybody know if it's normally safe to run an ss or a hybrid without speakers. this one is of course...i'm just curious.

EDIT: jsut thought i'd throw in that another thing that sold me is that it can be run at 8 ohms while the ampeg had a switch on the back that only had 4 adn 2 ohms. so no matter the size of the gig i'd have to take both my 8ohm cabs. this way if it's a small room i don't have to lug both cabs around. And i still get 300 watts. it's odd though. the website says it gets 550 watts at 4 ohms but all the other sites say 500. doesn't really matter.just sayin it's odd.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Feb 25, 2008,
About your note at the end, as far as I know there is no maximum impedance. Unless tube amps did something funny when they were invented there shouldn't be any reason not to be able to plug in 8 ohms. As for the amp itself you can't go wrong with Eden and in my opinion they're 10000x better than any ampeg.
I whole heartedly reccomend u get that amp. I own a david eden 410 XLT and it is by far the best cabinent on the market. The bottom end u get from it is unrivalled by any 410 and dare i say 212 or 412 on the market. I also love their heads as u get a fantastic chance to dial in any sound u want due to the transperency of the heads themselves.

But just remeber, your setup can only sound as good as your weakest piece. If u think the eden head sounds good with a crate/backline cabinent, then i think you will be shocked to see how it will sound with a high end cabinet
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Last edited by bazz_aaron at Feb 25, 2008,
yeah, Eden's are good. I used a borrowed WT800B for a long time last year. SVT-CLs are alright, but everyone and their brother has one or wants one, and they're just to bloody huge to move around without dinging it up and destroying it.. Get the Eden.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I was considering a WT800 for my "next" amp as it has all the features I want in a high-quality package. I'm an Eden forum member and they're a very proud, helpful bunch. I'm not big on tubes and I say "go for it."

However, pretty much all solid-state heads are meant to run without a cab. It's the tubes that need impedence. Power amp tubes. Solid state doesn't care if it's running without a cab.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
About your note at the end, as far as I know there is no maximum impedance. Unless tube amps did something funny when they were invented there shouldn't be any reason not to be able to plug in 8 ohms. As for the amp itself you can't go wrong with Eden and in my opinion they're 10000x better than any ampeg.

Well doesn't it seem silly to put a switch on the back for 4 and 2 ohms then.... they could've just hard wired it in the 2 position and all would've been good.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Impedence is very, very important for tube amps. You MUST match the head's output impedence to that of your cabinets. You MUST. And as far as I know, you can only use 4 or 2 ohms. However you want to quantify that in terms of 4 and 8 ohm cabinets is up to you.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I play out of an all tube ampeg and love it. I found that the edens and ampegs produce very different tones. Eden are generally cleaner, and the ampegs are usually warmer. Its all a matter of what style you play. If i could have any two amps it would be the SVT-Cl and the WT550. Two different tones that are the best at what they do.

Oh, it DOES damage all tube amps if they are not plugged into a cab, but it does NOT effect SS amps. SS is usually a little more reliable too. SS just cant give you the warmth of tubes.
Eden DOES make a 300W tube head now. I believe.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by bazz_aaron
I whole heartedly reccomend u get that amp. I own a david eden 410 XLT and it is by far the best cabinent on the market. The bottom end u get from it is unrivalled by any 410 and dare i say 212 or 412 on the market. I also love their heads as u get a fantastic chance to dial in any sound u want due to the transperency of the heads themselves.

But just remeber, your setup can only sound as good as your weakest piece. If u think the eden head sounds good with a crate/backline cabinent, then i think you will be shocked to see how it will sound with a high end cabinet

oh i know it'd be even better with high end cabs but these were $200 each used and i'm rather short on cash. I'm going all out on the head so i don't have to replace it and then i'll slowly bring in better cabinets. I gotta get a car after the head, so it'll be a while for new cabs.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Hi - does anyone have insight to the Power Supply Board in the WT500 please? There seems to be a common board for WT500, WT600 and WT800 so I am hoping someone will have dabbled inside one of these (!) My WT500 had a shorted bridge rectifier that was easy to replace, but I noticed that C5, C6, C7 and C8 are missing. That may be normal but I want to check! C1, C2, C3 and C4 are all there - each is 10,000 uF at 80 V DC which seems reasonable. I haven;t applied power yet but it seems like the amplifiers are not shorting any of the rails, and the Power Devices are not shorted. So all looks good. I am just waiting for some 2AG fuses at 10 Amps to arrive here. The 12AX7A tests good. I am excited to get this old beauty running! Anyone have further advice please?

Thanks - Bry