I've heard the Valve Junior is a very good amp for practicing and maybe a bit of jamming, especially because it's a valve amp. Seeing as it has no distortion unless the volume is way up, which it won't be very often seeing as I'll be playing it in my bedroom, would it be practical to use a Zvex Fuzz Factory as my distortion? I have thought about buying a Boss DS-1 as well to act as 'regular' distortion as I don't know how well the FF can emulate normal distortion. Also if anyone has any experience of this amp and thinks it's an unwise choice then please advise me.

I primarily play stuff like Muse but also a wide range of genres from classic rock to metal if that helps. Also, I play a Vintage V100 Les Paul Copy.
it's an ok amp, very ggod for the price, yeah the fuzz factory can't really do overdrive sounds that well I reccomend the Visual Sound Jeckyl and Hyde pedal, since it does both OD (which usually sounds better with tube amps) and Distortion. if you need more gain, the Boss DS-1 will kill the tone of the amp.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
it's an ok amp, very ggod for the price, yeah the fuzz factory can't really do overdrive sounds that well I reccomend the Visual Sound Jeckyl and Hyde pedal, since it does both OD (which usually sounds better with tube amps) and Distortion. if you need more gain, the Boss DS-1 will kill the tone of the amp.

It costs around £125 though, which is too much for me. The main reason I was considering getting the DS-1 was because of its price and also because its very popular. Are there any pedals that won't kill the tone of my amp and sound reasonably good for less than £50?
Quote by Denthúl
A Digitech Bad Monkey would go well with the Valve Jr.

Yay, right in my budget. Thanks, I'll check it out.

EDIT: I looked at some reviews of it and it sounds like it's mainly designed to bluesy classic rock seeing as it's overdrive and not distortion. While I do play a fair bit of classic rock, a lot of stuff I play calls for a reasonable heavy sound. To get this heavy sound would my only choice be to 'override' the tone with a distortion pedal or is the DS-1's problem not universal across all distortion pedals? Or would I just be better off buying a similarly priced SS amp that has a distortion channel?
Last edited by Liam4 at Feb 25, 2008,