Heres the deal,
i have a laney LV-300H Transistor Head (cheap i know) but i use it as a secondary amp to my 5150.

anyway! the laney doesn't wuite give me the amount of distortion that suits my playing style.
so i was curious as to whether it would be plausible to add a whole new pre gain circut to the head with it's own seperate level knob, wired into the existing mix or even copmletely replacing it's current gain circut.
i was aiming for somewhere in the ballpark of having 5 12ax7's to mach what my 5150 puts out.

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.
it would be much easier to build a separate tube preamp unit (sorta like a rackmount or a pedal that would always be on), plug your guitar into that, then plug that into the amp (like it was a rackmount or a pedal...)

they already make stuff like that that you can buy at any big music shop (the damage control preamps are supposedly really nice)...

you could even get a tube mic preamp and plug in through that (although I doubt itd give you the gain you want...)

if you want to actually build a new pre-amp system INTO the amp as opposed to just running one before it, it would be rather difficult if not impossible. I'm not sure if you can just take a transistor amp and make it a hybrid...
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by spiroth10
I'm not sure if you can just take a transistor amp and make it a hybrid...
I sure you could if you wanted to spend way too much money, time, and effort.

Adding tubes to a solid state amp is like surgically implanting cow udders onto a pig.
If you want milk, just buy a damned cow.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
You might as well build a whole amp. The cost and amount of work isn't that much higher.
what if i just gutted it and used the chassis and cabinet for a master volume tube head?
Maybe. If the chassis is big enough and can support two heavy transformers.