I'm looking for a new amp, I have no problems going second hand and am not sure what my budget will be yet. I think it will probably be around ..... $1400 Australian though.
I play metal and will be gigging, I either need an amp that will take pedals really really well or an amp with a killer distortion.
Here's a few I was thinking of

Peavey Valveking stack
Randall RX 120 stack
Spider Valve 40 1x12
Randall RG 50TC
Framus Red Rogue
Laney LC50
Hughes and Kettner Matrix stack
Randall RH 300 G3 stack
Bugera 6262 combo
Bugera 6260 combo

What one you choose from the above ?
Any new suggestions are welcome to.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Last edited by howey at Feb 26, 2008,
First of all, no spider, please? its a bad amp. Full stop.

I suggest something like a used peavey 5150/6505, although i dont know how well it takes pedals. The RG50 is a great amp from what iv heard, as is the Laney.

I wouldnt suggest the Valveking,it doesnt take low ends too well.Really muddy
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

not even the valve version ?

The used 5150/6505 are around $2200+ over here
I would love to have one but I need an amp in the near future not in around a year or two.
With the pedals, it was meant for distortion. If i had a 5150/6505 I wouldn't need to use pedals to get my distorion.

So yeah I either need an amp with great sounding metal distortion stock or with a very easy mod. Or i need an amp that will handle a distortion pedal very well.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
if there are any australian amp makers, you're better off buying from them
The only auzzie amp maker is ulbrik and their things are insanely expensive even in australia.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Mmm, Ulbrick is expensive, but oh so worth it. Milt spec wiring, hand wound transformers, hand made beautiful amps... Way out of his price range though. I recommend against anything American as you will be paying ALOT. Out of that list Framus Red Rogue, Laney LC50 or Hughes and Kettner Matrix. Others you may want to look into is used Engl's (screamer, thunder, maybe even fireball if you're really lucky, i've seen em go for 1600), Oranges (maybe TT new or used Rocker/AD 30), used Laneys (the single channel one is great, cant remember what its called though) or perhaps if you really wanna save money an Ashton Viper (they're actually exceptionally good amps for the price).
After searching I've found a place in Australia that sells bugera !
These amps (incase you didn't read the thread a few above) are just copies of peavey's pretty much. There is a bugera 6262 which has been given great reviews and I found it for $1100, not sure how much shipping would be though.
Has anyone other then the guy who just wrote the review tried this amp ?
Also is the 6262 worth paying an extra $100 for or would it be better to get the 6260 ?
I wouldn't be able to try this amp before buying, bugera is also a new company (i think) so is it safe to trust them ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Yeah i think a place in Sydney sells them though i've never tried them.. If you want i can go in there and give them a test for ya?
RG50TC with some new tubes is honestly the best combination of tone, volume, portability and price that you can afford. If you'd rather a half stack however, you could get a new Randall RH50T and a 2nd hand Marshall 1960A, then wire it up for 8ohms. Or buy a randall cab.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Woah, i didnt read you played metal, my bad. I take back my comment and go with the RG50TC or the Bugera.
metal.... i hate it, i just have an in flames dp hahah.
yeah man metal for ever !
If you could try out a bugera it would be greatly appreciated, don't go out of your way though. Its 120 watts tube in a combo ! I've never seen that wattage in a tube combo before, is what they're claming to have not entirely true or will this actually deafen me past 4 lol ?

I'm only 14 years of age so this is a big purchase for me, I'm hoping to get a new amp within a month or two and a 6505 (close enough) for $1100 is something I just can't say no to. I would want amp to last me probably 1 - 2 years so I need something reliable, loud and with a tone that I will appreciate even after i start using more expensive gear.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
I own a 6505 and a local music store has the 6262.... I played it and liked it. it was pretty damn close man. And it was only 550 bucks american. I'd go for it. Sound wise it does sound like the 6505 but durable.... i don't know. We'll have to wait and see if anyones breaks down. It seems durable. We all know the peavey is road worthy. I'd say go for the 6262 man. and the difference between it and the 6260 is a seperate eq for the clean channel id imagine like the 6505 and the 6505+ in my opinion this is worth it. Also the 6262 has a noise gate built in and the peavey doesn't. Along with reverb.
I think i'll go for the 6262
Now are the combo and head versions edsactly the same or is there one I should be getting over the other ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Yeah, i tried out the 6260 today, didnt have the 6262. Personally i thought it sounded great for the price. Got pretty heavy on its own. I only turned it up a lil in the shop but so im not sure how it sounds at high volumes. If i were you i'd go the 6262 head and 4x12 for three reasons;
1) You can change the 4x12 later for a better one
2) More bass
3) Reverb is good:-)
Thanks man
How'd you manage to check it out on a weekday though.

The head is $900 rrp so I could probably get it around ... $680 hopefully and I heard the randall cab with celetions for $800rrp is the best value cheap cab. I heard the Bugera cabs weren't the best.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
I go to tafe and i was only there for 2 hours today. Yeah that randall cab with celestions sells near me for $500 so i imagine you could get it fair cheap.
Oh awesome!
I could get a decent stack for under $1500
How much do you think i could sell my MG 100 for ?
I was thiking maybe ... $350 - 400
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
I got no idea tbh. I wouldnt buy it for anything over $50 but im a slight tone freak.. SO yeah maybe $400
Haha, I've found a pretty awesome tone through my zoom with it although it took me about 2 months of tweaking and it only sounds good for my ibanez.
I'm going to need to find the strengths of the amp so that i can show the buyer the good side rather then the bad.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Well good luck with that! You may not need it, just emphasise the fact its a Marshall.
fame amp ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Would the Randall RG50TC be enough for live shows by itself? It's only 50W
yeah, it would be enough. It's all tube and if you need any louder, you can just mic it...
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808