I was considering starting a indie band but found myself unable to come up with any indie sounding riffs.
And i was wondering is there any theory that indie is heavily based upon?
if so lemmie know please

thanks

The British nation is unique in this respect. They are the only people who like to be told how bad things are, who like to be told the worst.
- Winston Churchill
indie's more of an aesthetic than a sound.

plus, i covers so many genres that it'd be tough picking out a riff based on your description. what kind of indie music would you play?
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Couldn't have said it better myself, Dorkus.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
indie hasn't a default sound, i think if u want to sound indie, make music that doesn't look like almost to none of the mainstream current sounds...
I think the key is using a variety of instruments and adding a variety of styles to your music. I mean The Clash, a big influence on indie bands, played punk mixed with reggae and horns and stuff. Then you have Wilco, who do country with synthesizers and give the genre a new wardrobe. Basically, that's my take.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

If ur from England, from what I understand is, 'indie' refers to music which has all basically been influenced by The Strokes and The Libertines.

This is why over here if someone says 'indie' an image of a middle class kid pops into my head of a person who wears condoms for trousers and lots of neon t-shirts with random sayings on them like 'make love not missiles.'

In terms of what theory to use, in relation to the 'indie' I'm referring to (Bombay Bicycle Club, The Maccabees) then use major chord progressions with a clean guitar sound and try to think of fast picking and a jumpy rhythm which you could dance to.

or not...
Quote by walidb123

In terms of what theory to use, in relation to the 'indie' I'm referring to (Bombay Bicycle Club, The Maccabees) then use major chord progressions with a clean guitar sound and try to think of fast picking and a jumpy rhythm which you could dance to.

+1000000. That, played on a Tele, ES-335 or Rickenbacker through a Vox or Fender valve amp on the verge of break-up will give you the sound of what most people would think of as 'indie'.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
There is no theory behind Indie. Just play whatever you want, and look good while doing it.
Sent from my iPad.
Indie has expanded over the past year and a bit to include just about everyone who has big hair or skinny jeans...

Not saying thats good or bad.
Quote by Tombe
+1000000. That, played on a Tele, ES-335 or Rickenbacker through a Vox or Fender valve amp on the verge of break-up will give you the sound of what most people would think of as 'indie'.

Ugh, I just love that sound.

As for writing, you're probably better off writing chord progressions first and then coming up with riffs that fit along with those. Indie is kind of like jazz in the sense that the best way to learn it is to listen to it and absorb a lot.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Feb 26, 2008,