is indie indie anymore? the "independence of indie" seems to have been fogotten and indie seems now more of a cheap term that major corporations use to expand their "popularity".. indie doesn't feel like a sub-culture or a way to say **** you to the system anymore if movies like juno, which has been labeled indie, is distributed by fox....
even the music industry has taken advantage of this term. maybe it is the outgrowth of indie that has stood for alot of the mainstream popularity, it probably plays a big role in the whole thing. what are your personal opinions???
Indie music = soft rock rich kids putting on accents. British indie at least.

Not sure about films, haven't seen any cool indie films since Dogma 95
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
^i LOLed.

indie is still indie. the term has been co-opted by others, which sort of sucks, but whatever. doesn't mean indie doesn't exist anymore.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Bare in mind that any idiot with £100 can start a record label and call it indie.

The great days of Factory and Rough Trade Records are gone, and we're stuck with crap like "Aladins Mystic Cave of Golf" and "Lost Island Records" that bands make to release their albums, and only have one act on it.

I guess it's still indie technically, but the joys of having professional equipment to do what you want, how you want that indie bands experienced in the 80s is long gone.

Shame really. They really stood for something. Nowadays a record label can be made in a matter of hours.
Quote by Draken
the last good indie film was Garden State

...no.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

short form of independent
People keep asking us where Paul is. That's a really funny question. See, if Paul was still in the band then we wouldn't have a new fucking record. That's why Paul isn't in the band anymore. (by Maynard James Keenan)
indie is more in the music and what you see/watch than in the lifestyle, but between both should have a balance, because everyone knows that the indie music is not signed with a big discography, but its quality is bigger than several "commercial" bands, although there are some indie bands in famous discographies, and they sounds pretty cool, and the indie movies, c'mon, you can say what is indie and what is not, it's very easy, and its quality is much better that the movies made with a big budget, but no one say so. I think the indie is in the "lyrics independent taste", and the stories into the movies, people cannot say what is indie and what is not, one just feels it and knows it.
Last edited by garage_kid at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by the_astronaut
...no.

to quote red dwarf

Joke...deadpan mode.
Oh. Then I change my comment to: "Yes."
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Same thing happened to punk and emo. It's bound to happen to every cool alternative culture at one point. It doesn't mean that there's no good indie music out there anymore.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Originally "indie" just meant you weren't on a major record label. Today, I believe the term "indie" has been stolen by a wave of equally talentless bands, diluting the very term itself, such to the point where I am now ashamed to say I like "indie"... (in terms of music.)
Indie as a style is being able to do as you wish and dress how you want, Listen to what you want and having the confidence to do it.In my school theres not many who are willing to show what they really like.The new trend is smoking hash i find it rather sad. I'm proud of my music and I'm proud I play guitar.While all the other boys in my year are into ****ty dance music if only there was someone in my year with the same tastes as me mabye they'll all learn to do what they want and mature in a year or so.I can only hope.Sorry if I've rambled on and you can't understand what am saying..
I Loved My English Romance
Quote by Gareththomson=)
Indie as a style is being able to do as you wish and dress how you want, Listen to what you want and having the confidence to do it.In my school theres not many who are willing to show what they really like.The new trend is smoking hash i find it rather sad. I'm proud of my music and I'm proud I play guitar.While all the other boys in my year are into ****ty dance music if only there was someone in my year with the same tastes as me mabye they'll all learn to do what they want and mature in a year or so.I can only hope.Sorry if I've rambled on and you can't understand what am saying..

Hey don't worry, I didn't find anyone who had my taste in music until I left school. (Admiteddly I'm now in Uni!) It's better to be yourself, then pretend you like "****ty dance music" as you put it, and in my opinion, you are a better person for it.

God that sounds like a father to son speech!!

But I still believe indie is not what it used to be.
Quote by Gareththomson=)

the new trend is moking hash? wellcome to the nineties
the heart is a risky fuel to burn