ive got a stagg les paul basically the standers one cost like £100. ive just bought a new epi lp custom. so insted of just never playing the stagg again im looking at improving it so the pick ups will be getting changed but i was also wondering if fitting a floyd to it would be worth it and also is this an expencive job to do and could i do it myself?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
no. getting a trem that costs more than the guitar itself is not gonna be worth it.

also, i'm assuming the body wood is crap so i wouldn't bother with the pickup change.

spend the money on your epi, as it's far from perfect.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
you'd have to route out the body a bit
SHOWBREAD

Quote by cheese_weasel
Winner of the intellectual comment of the day award.
Yea man putting a fl on that type of guitar wouldnt wrk put i gud set of pick ups like semore dunkins of emgs and stick with the epi
what about my Yamaha Pac112J ? is it worth installing a floyd rose ?

its got an alber body, rosewood fret and maple neck.........
Quote by tom_1106
ive got a stagg les paul basically the standers one cost like £100. ive just bought a new epi lp custom. so insted of just never playing the stagg again im looking at improving it so the pick ups will be getting changed but i was also wondering if fitting a floyd to it would be worth it and also is this an expencive job to do and could i do it myself?

The first question is, as always: what amp are you playing through? Unless you're playing through a good amp you wouldn't notice a pickup change in the best guitar in the world.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You know, just the thought of fitting a Floyd on a LP could get you shot in most countries. But since it's a Stagg...

Look, I messed with an old Yamaha of mine years ago and if there's one thing I learned it would be that:

A) These things can get mighty time-consuming when you're not a professional. Even if you do end up with an instrument that's still playable, you're gonna be stuck without without a guitar while you're busy doing this mod. But since you have another axe I guess this doesn't apply to you
B) You're gonna learn a lot about guitar anatomy, especially 'bout what you SHOULDN'T do
C) You're very, VERY likely to mess up that guitar of yours so bad that it becomes unplayable, and bringing a $100 guitar to the repair shop is just not worth the money. But if you weren't playing it anyway... Just make sure the thing looks neat in the end, so if you do indeed mess up at least you're gonna have something nice to hang on your wall...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Feb 25, 2008,
It would probably be cheaper, easier, and better in the long run just to buy a Les Paul or Eclipse (basically ESP's copy of a Les Paul) with a Floyd Rose.

It isn't necessarily bad to put more work and money into a guitar then the guitar was originally worth. However, for this you would be more than likely spending more money on something that you can just buy anyways. If it doesn't have to be a Les Paul, you definitely have a lot more options, in terms of floyd rose equipped guitars.
Cheers for putting more money into a guitar than the guitar is worth (I think I have about $1000 in my $350 guitar right now so I know how you feel).

the one biggest detail you'll need to look at before doing any type of routing is what type of wood you're dealing with. If the guitar is made of particle board, you don't want to even try to rout a tremolo cavity. If it's Basswood, I wouldn't try either. If it's anything else, I think you'll be okay.

Something I would look into though is the Kahler tremolo systems as opposed to the Floyd Rose. The Kahler's are much easier to install and set up and are a very easy retrofit for a Les Paul style guitar.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Ajk-Keyz_jkz sH
Yea man putting a fl on that type of guitar wouldnt wrk put i gud set of pick ups like semore dunkins of emgs and stick with the epi

Sorry man I would never bother bringing up stuff like this but please it is DUNCAN, I hate it when people call be dunkin...
I wouldn't bother with the floyd btw.
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
if you wanted a floyd rose why the hell did you buy another les paul
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Invader Jim
Track down one of these.

Oh, an original LP Floyd Rose unit.

If you can find a unit on eBay for about £150/$280, let me know I'll snap it up!

Seriously though, it could be done to the Stagg, but really, it's not at all worth it.

You'd be putting alot of work, time & money into it.

Unless the body is mahogany or a decent wood (unlike plywood & basswood), don't even bother trying.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Oh, an original LP Floyd Rose unit.

If you can find a unit on eBay for about £150/$280, let me know I'll snap it up!

Seriously though, it could be done to the Stagg, but really, it's not at all worth it.

You'd be putting alot of work, time & money into it.

Unless the body is mahogany or a decent wood (unlike plywood & basswood), don't even bother trying.

Hey you, don't go bashing basswood. I personally like it a lot more than alder.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
basswood

Basswood is a perfectly good tonewood, there's a good reason Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert use it you know.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by the_random_hero
Hey you, don't go bashing basswood. I personally like it a lot more than alder.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Basswood is a perfectly good tonewood, there's a good reason Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert use it you know.

Sorry like, I'm just a traditional Mahogany body, Maple cap LP guy or an ES Plain Maple guy.
I'm not a fan of basswood, since I've used things like LP's for ages, it doesn't feel heavy enough for me.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

If it is a Les Paul copy using basswood, it is probably that cheaper lower quality stuff that the lower end companies use.
i like the looks of the fl for pls but can you get it in the uk? and i bought another lp coz i like the shape and didnt want a floyd till i played a frends gutar thats got one
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Quote by tom_1106
i like the looks of the fl for pls but can you get it in the uk? and i bought another lp coz i like the shape and didnt want a floyd till i played a frends gutar thats got one

Translation:
I like the look of the Floyd Rose on a guitar, but please, cause you tell me where to get it in the UK?
I also bought another Les Paul/LP guitar because I like the shape and didn't want to buy a Floyd Rose til I played on a friends guitar that has a Floyd Rose installed already.

If you only like it because of your friends guitar having one, is there really a point in putting it on?
Chances are, that trem on that guitar will be alot higher quality that the one you can afford, unless your buying quality like Gotoh, Schaller & Original Floyd Rose.

It's a big job to fit a Floyd Rose to a Les Paul too.
Not that it can't be done, I've done it myself.
But if the body wood is cheap like most budget guitars, you'll just destroy the guitar and not even have a wall worth piece.

Conclusion:
Do it to your LPCustom OR sell the Stagg & buy an LP Standard and get a Floyd Rose fitted OR buy an Epiphone Les Paul Goth with a Floyd Rose fitted.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Quote by Matheau
If it is a Les Paul copy using basswood, it is probably that cheaper lower quality stuff that the lower end companies use.

That's as maybe but you can't go bashing a whole species of wood based on what lower quality guitars sound like.

Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Sorry like, I'm just a traditional Mahogany body, Maple cap LP guy or an ES Plain Maple guy.
I'm not a fan of basswood, since I've used things like LP's for ages, it doesn't feel heavy enough for me

Then you generalized a whole wood species because of personal opinion, please; keep it to yourself unless it's based on facts.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.