My band is influenced by bands such as:
Guns N Roses
Slashs Snakepit
ACDC
Aerosmith

I just love listening to hard bluesy rock riffs that these guys play, but i'm having problems coming up with a few worthy of playing at a gig.
Any tips/tricks?

Any example riffs?

Please help.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
You might maybe want to listen to other styles of music and get ideas out of them that you can sorta transform into bluesrock. I myself like to incorporate stuff from the middle east or china in my writing.
What about double stops, arn't they helpful in Bluesy Rock?
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
well yeah, but we've played gigs of our own songs,

but i mean general main riffs, that we can build on, i have trouble starting off, but once i got a riff to work wth it starts snowballin'
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Well yes, double stops are a god alternative to to chords, as they allow for more variation.
Look at it that way: You can play a full chord, let's say Am, containing the notes a, c and e:

e-0
b-1
g-2
d-2
a-0
e-x

The possible double stops would be:
(powerchord)
e-x
b-x
g-x
d-2
a-0
e-x

or

e-x
b-x
g-x
d-x
a-0
e-0

(root and third, which can also be part of an F chord)
e-x
b-x
g-x
d-x
a-3
e-5

(third and fifth, which can also be part of a C chord)
e-x
b-x
g-x
d-2
a-3
e-x

try experimenting with these, they sound quite good with some overdrive.

EDIT: damn those typos. Now it's right.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 25, 2008,
^That perfectly describes every AC/DC song, well done

EDIT: Tips in writing 80's style rock anthems hey? Well with most songs i usually start with working out a rythem first, otherwise you end up all over the place with 2 or 3 riffs that don't blend together. Second, stick to your basic power chords to form the rythem and try not to get too carried away with making it complex or doing a Metallica thing and putting a solo in when ever James Shuts his mouth
Quote by mattvl
Listen to this guy, he's australian. If there are any people out there who know how to handle women it's australians.
Last edited by Chadicus at Feb 25, 2008,