As I get another step closer to deciding what to do for my practice amp (my only amp since I will never play in a band...just for fun), I need some help on what I need and what is overkill.

Leaning toward Roland over a Vox and thinking about the microcube, 20x, 30x and just saw the microcube rx (no reviews though). Would like to stay in the low $200's max, which the 30x is. My questions are:

1) If I really just play at very low volumes 90% of the time, is the 20x or 30x a waste. I am skeptical of a 30 watt amp in case my very young daughter randomly cranks the volume on it. Would never need 30w at home.
2) Does the power squeezer work well? Wouldn't want to wake my family up at midnight.
3) Have been leaning toward the 30x though b/c it seems to have more amp models. How do they compare to the 20x....where the amp models names are more generic. I have no idea what they are modeled off of like where it's spelled out in the 30x manual. Think I would want a Marshall setting most for 80's metal and hard rock. I see one of those on the 30w.
4) If there is no way in the world that I should buy a 30w to keep the volume on 0.5 or 1 all the time, what about the Microcube Rx for the same price? Is it stupid money for a 2.5 watt amp? Features and models look good, but have heard that you don't really want a small speaker (below 8inch) for the sound....and this is my only amp.

I know it's a lot of ??'s, but any thoughts would be appreciated.
Just go with the microcube. If it's just for home practice the micro is plenty. Plus the portability of it is nice in case you ever want to take it somewhere.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Don't get the 20X, it doesn't have the (good) modelling. Either 30 or Micro.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
^ +1

other than that, you'd need to try them to see that the microcube sounds good enough, and that the 30x sounds good enough at lower volumes.

be aware, though, that what seems like low volume in the shop often isn't low volume at home...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Fama
Don't get the 20X, it doesn't have the (good) modelling. Either 30 or Micro.

Ok. Think the 15 would be perfect but lacking in models. In the back of my mind, I just know that if I buy the micro, at somepoint the wife & kids will be out of the house and I'd like to turn it up past 2 watts.....but nowhere near 30.
Dont get the 15. It should be renamed 'Roland's Blandbox'. It has absolutely nothing to it. I had one, but traded it for a microcube (a trade i'll never regret).The microcube is more than enough for home practice, damn i never cranked it more than 1/2 the volume. Anyway, im getting rid of that POS...Now i got my harley benton ga5, and yes...it sounds amazing
Two other ones. If I go with the cube and have the volume cranked up, does the sound hold up well? Also, someone mentioned about seeing how the 30x sounds at lower volumes. I know tube amps need to be cranked for good distortion and tones, isn't that not the case with these SS amps?
btw, roland has nothing to offer for 80s, so i highly reccomend you get a vox ad15. It has alot more to offer. The only do-able channels on a roland are the cleans, the really pale sounding rectro and the super muddy pathetic AC30 wannabe thing.

On the other hand, the VOX specializes in the good ol' marshallish and voxish british crunch. It rules for home practice.

Good luck, bro!

SS amps sound best at quiet volumes. At higher volumes they start sounding very bad.

EDIT: Have you considered playing with headphones?
Last edited by zwound at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by zwound
btw, roland has nothing to offer for 80s, so i highly reccomend you get a vox ad15. It has alot more to offer. The only do-able channels on a roland are the cleans, the really pale sounding rectro and the super muddy pathetic AC30 wannabe thing.

On the other hand, the VOX specializes in the good ol' marshallish and voxish british crunch. It rules for home practice.

Good luck, bro!

SS amps sound best at quiet volumes. At higher volumes they start sounding very bad.

EDIT: Have you considered playing with headphones?

The AD15VT instead of the XL is what you're talking about right? Heard that one still may be better for 'classic metal' (maiden, priest, metallica, etc.) and the XL is more for new school stuff. Also, since the vox has a tube in it, does that mean whatever you get needs to be cranked to get the full sound?

Also, have headphones, but haven't used them a lot. I don't like them plus I need to have the kids' room monitors on so I can hear them.
Ive only tried the VT and it's been pretty good. That tube however won't make much of a difference, however it does give something (an insignificant something). Since it's in the preamp, all you gotta do is keep the volume down and crank the gain, as cranking gain wont really make it much louder anyway.

I think the vox will be good for old fashioned metal ()...by all means better than a cube. Please don't buy it...I hate mine so much
If you use an overdrive pedal through the microcube with the classic stack model, you can get some good 80s metal sound.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS