So I need to start raising money, but I also need to improve my confidence singing and playing guitar, so I have decided to start busking. The two ideas I have had is to take my electric guitar and a hi-fi out and play blues improv, and the other is to take my acoustic guitar out and sing songs. I wanted to ask The Pit what songs would be good to have in my arsenal, and if anyone had any tips for blues improvving and general tips for busking.

Songs I can play so far:

American Pie - Don McLean
Father and Son - Cat Stevens
Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Eva Cassidy
Puff the Magic Dragon - Peter, Paul and Mary
Knocking on Heavens Door - Bob Dylan
Tambourine Man - Bob Dylan
Blowin' in the Wind - Bob Dylan

My vocal range is that of Baritone, going into the lower Tenor range.

Thanks,

~Ash~
+1

That's some good advice there.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
cool idea, but you need a few more singalong songs. stuff like:

girl from ars - ash
when the sun goes down - arctic monkeys
knights of cydonia - muse (joke)
someday - nickelback
sparticus acousticus - autons
Quote by slann101
girl from ars - ash
when the sun goes down - arctic monkeys
knights of cydonia - muse (joke)
someday - nickelback
sparticus acousticus - autons

Girl from Ars?

I think you missed the e there Slann!

Try some simple stuff everyone knows too, like Wonderwall by Oasis
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
Girl from Ars?

I think you missed the e there Slann!

Try some simple stuff everyone knows too, like Wonderwall by Oasis

intentional
I'm sure it was!

Quote by GLP_Arclite

play classics.

Wish You Were Here went down fantastically when my mate started jamming on a park bench, he wasn't busking particularly but he raised a fiver after 1 rendition.

I'd go with acoustic too, blues improv can get pretty samey, specially when you're running out of lick ideas and scales to use, whereas a number of different classics rarely goes too horribly.
Quote by Vindication
sorry, but were you born a dumbass or did your mom n' dad take turns bashing your head with cinderblocks?

Quote by Gemini
You know that if you image search "pitbulls humping", all that comes up is a myspace a guy made for their dog?

I didn't actually..
Do some Social Distortion, like ball and chain or Story of my Life,
maybe some Cash. Nothing to rough there.
Oh, and I've done a little busking before and from my experience
Creedance Clearwater Revival is a huge hit! Then again that was probably geographical, CCR is one the favorite all time bands in the city of Pittsburgh
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
with the music you like, definitely streets of london by ralph mctell
don mclean-and i love you so, the grave
badly drawn boy-a minor incident

also, learn a lot of eric clapton stuff, he has great blues licks
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Some Johnny Cash. Simple and fun. Often well known with some people and it'll add some variety to the set you're looking at putting together. I usually do a few traditional tunes as well, but these tunes will vary in your area. I am from Nova Scotia with an Irish background so I do trad. Irish tunes as well as Trad. NS tunes.
Irish traditional *will* be popular, no matter where you are.

Remember, people only pay much attention to buskers who are a)really playing complicated stuff b)playing strange instruments or c)playing songs they know. Capitalise on the last one. If you can get people singing along, it's always fun.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Queen is an easy one to do, fits your vocal range (it's quite low for a Queen song) and is pretty well known.
Hotel California by the Eagles-everyone knows it, it's got easy chords, and is fun as well.
If you want something really, really challenging, try Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits, but it's fingerpicked and pretty damn hard.
Tenacious D!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Bendybaws
Get a real job

Thanks for your insight. Tell that to Bob Dylan, the Manic Street Preachers, G4, River Phoenix and Hayley Westenra.
play songs people will recognise. i usually give more to buskers who are playing a song i know and enjoy.
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by Aramis
Thanks for your insight. Tell that to Bob Dylan, the Manic Street Preachers, G4, River Phoenix and Hayley Westenra.

Tell River Pheonix to get a life, zing!

..and G4, Hayley Westenra WTF?!
Quote by Bendybaws
Tell River Pheonix to get a life, zing!

..and G4, Hayley Westenra WTF?!

I like opera. Sue me.

If you just want to make money, find a simple pop song that everybody knows and just arange it for an acoustic preformance.

Oh and "hey ya" by outkast would be a good un.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
If you just want to make money, find a simple pop song that everybody knows and just arange it for an acoustic preformance.

That's a good idea. Lots of buskers play Dylan and stuff. Something like that would catch people off guard and get their attention.
Play the bagpipes. I gave a fiver to a guy simply because he was busking with bagpipes.
Quote by denizenz
Cute in English is the same as grim and frostbitten in Nordic.

Gear:
Washburn T14 B
Laney RB-1
Quote by Aramis

Who the hell are G4....... and Hayley Westenra?
Quote by Mud Martian
Dont be an idiot! The only way staying awake for three days could be anywhere near beneficial is if you are,

A) Writing a hit album.
B) Behind enemy lines.
C) Writing a hit album behind enemy lines!
Quote by Fiddelers elbow

indeed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8-8nkkOA_AM
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by divid3d

I bloody hate F chords Nevertheless, I like that idea.

EDIT: Figured out how to do it without using F chords. I will definitely add this song to my arsenal.
Last edited by Aramis at Feb 25, 2008,
I was thinking about doing this too. I'm gonna be doing some classic rock, AC/DC, Sabbath, Zep, but mainly really well known ones like Back in Black and Stairway.

EDIT: What the best amp + power supply to use for busking? I've been looking at the Roland Street Cube but its kind of expensive.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I don't know, but I'm using a crappy battery powered 5W amp, but I love the tone. Plus when it comes to street music, I think it should sound a bit raw.
play some tenacious D, older people never give moeny, so don't aim to please them,you want younger people to have a laught with you, play some d and other random hilarious acoustic songs, try doing some theme tunes and stuff
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by bikerboyjosh
play some tenacious D, older people never give moeny, so don't aim to please them,you want younger people to have a laught with you, play some d and other random hilarious acoustic songs, try doing some theme tunes and stuff

Yeah I think I'm gonna add Wonderboy to my repertoire.