I've played guitar for a year, but only now have I purchased an amp.

I plug the amp in and turn it on, connect the guitar and amp with the cable provided, but I can't get any sound from the amp when I play the guitar.

So a really, really noobish question here. How do I used the damned thing!? Is it the amp, or is the problem to do with the knobs and switch on the guitar?
I've turned it up on the amp, just makes the "buzzing" louder.

When I touch the strings as if to mute them, the sound fades but just no correct sound when I play.
Is it new or used? It might be something with the wiring in either the amp or the guitar..
You could have a ****ed up cable. Does it have a wierd-ass 90° L-shape at one end? If so, then you might want to check it out. I've gone through two cables already, and my amp/guitar NEVER move, while I'm playing or otherwise.

If you get a buzzing sound, I'm assuming you have single-coil pickups, so the amp is definitely working to be able to pick up the 60mhz "buzz" that single-coils make.

I would take a look at the cable, or it could be a loose wire inside the guitar. Hopefully it isn't a loose wire because that mean opening up the guitar and soldering ****. It's not that difficult to fix; all the parts (except for pickups) can be bought at radio shack.
Try jiggling that a little as you strum the strings and see if any sounds comes out. Where it's connected to the amp.
Actually, when I jiggle it a little then sometimes there's louder, almost clearer buzzing. But still nothing when I strum the strings.

The store closes within half hour, so should I take the amp back or get a new cable?
Take the amp back, bring your guitar with you to the store, and use it to try other amps.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Make sure the volume is up on the amp and the guitar. The guitar is plugged in correctly. Try a different wire.
I took it back, the shopkeeper tested it on one of his guitars and it worked fine.

Suggested getting a new cable, gave me one as I'd just bought the amp earlier today.

I bring it home, plug the guitar in with the new cable and still, nothing.

I tried it with my electro-acoustic guitar, and it works fine.

So, looks like my almost brand-new Ibanez has a problem.
Should have brought your guitar with you to the store.

Anyway, sounds like the input jack on the guitar itself may have a disconnected wire.

(one of Jenny's famous pictures)

A simple solder job can possibly fix that. Anytime that you feel that the nut on the input jack feels loose, don't simply try to tighten it by hand. You can spin the insides around eventually disconnecting one of the wires. You need to remove the input jack from the body, and be sure to hold on to one side, while tightening the other.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Perhaps that's it then. That's a VERY comprehensive picture by the way, really helpful.

I just can't think HOW it would have happened though. I've had the guitar barely a month, it was brand new and I've never damaged it in any way or even touched the input jack until today.

and it's comprehensive because this happens so often it's just easiest to show the possible problem.

look in there, if it's the jack they can fix it for you in a couple of minutes. bring a locking washer with u to the guitar shop and insist that they add it under the nut.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

and it's comprehensive because this happens so often it's just easiest to show the possible problem.

look in there, if it's the jack they can fix it for you in a couple of minutes. bring a locking washer with u to the guitar shop and insist that they add it under the nut.

Why hadn't I thought of that!?!

LOL

Time to get the tools out...
Well I'm getting my old tutor to check the guitar over tomorrow, he's played for around 33 years and is a real pro, so hopefully he can sort it for me.
I took the back off the guitar earlier, and one of the wires isn't connected to the input jack as it should be. So this is a job for the soldering-irons right?

Anything important I need to know, or do I just solder the wire to it?
Other than proper soldering technique and making sure you solder the right wire to the right connection. Solder away!
there will be instructions on a new soldering kit. letting the iron heat up warming the wires and adding the solder. that's about it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Alrighty then, thank you everybody for the help! you've been great.

When I was messing with the wires earlier, I managed to get 5 minutes of sound. I have to say, it felt so good to hear my guitar roar for the first time with an amp. It's REALLY made my day