has anyone here ever finished a guitar with wax before? I'm just curious.
I usually give it about 8-10 coats of oil then finish of with a couple or three coats of finishing wax. I wouldnt recommend just jsing wax alone, I'd use oil first.
If you want a more in-depth guide let me know and I'll post some more stuff.
whats the difference between poly and wax? which sounds better anyway?
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Quote by abyssspecter
whats the difference between poly and wax? which sounds better anyway?

Wax has clearer highs in the 10kHz-15kHz range. But, the low end isn't very tight, which is why I prefer poly.
are we takling about the same wax? The stuff i've used is a soft white solid, All you do is sand down the wood and rub it in with a cloth.
Quote by jscustomguitars
I usually give it about 8-10 coats of oil then finish of with a couple or three coats of finishing wax. I wouldnt recommend just jsing wax alone, I'd use oil first.
If you want a more in-depth guide let me know and I'll post some more stuff.

I would love a more indepth guide, mate, if its not too much trouble. I searched for ages a while back but couldn't find anything relevant, most likely because I didn't know what I was looking for. I was thinking of refinishing my G400's body with a natural finish, and didn't want laquer or anything of the sort.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
I've used tried a few coats of tung oil followed by Briwax (good quality furniture wax) and it works quite well. Certainly worth a go if you don't want to get into spray finishing, though I think the tonal benefits are negligible unless you're using particularly good tonewood.
Quote by kyle62
I've used tried a few coats of tung oil followed by Briwax (good quality furniture wax) and it works quite well. Certainly worth a go if you don't want to get into spray finishing, though I think the tonal benefits are negligible unless you're using particularly good tonewood.

Thanks for the advice You wouldn't happen to know of any pics showing the end result, tho? I suppose it'd depend more on the colour tint of the individual wax brand, aye?

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
I would love a more indepth guide, mate, if its not too much trouble. I searched for ages a while back but couldn't find anything relevant, most likely because I didn't know what I was looking for. I was thinking of refinishing my G400's body with a natural finish, and didn't want laquer or anything of the sort.

i'll put something up later when I got time.
Quote by mr_hankey
Wax has clearer highs in the 10kHz-15kHz range. But, the low end isn't very tight, which is why I prefer poly.

It really makes that much difference?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist

It really makes that much difference?

He was making a joke. What he meant was that all the talk about different finishing methods is a bunch of audiophile bullcrap. Sort of like $10,000 interconnect cables and wooden pot knobs.
Quote by Uusilehto
He was making a joke. What he meant was that all the talk about different finishing methods is a bunch of audiophile bullcrap. Sort of like $10,000 interconnect cables and wooden pot knobs.

Heh you read that on the fender forums, right?

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Put a coat of Danish oil on with a cloth.

Wait 5 mins then wipe of excess with a clean cloth.

Leave for at least 6 hours (24 hours if you have the time) then rub back lightly with 800 grade wet and dry (used dry).

Repeat process 6-8 times.

After that for the last 2-3 coats I dont sand it back and let the oil build up a little thicker.

Polish the surface up with 0000 grade wire wool after the last coat of oil.

Rub on a coat of finishing wax and leave for as long as it says on the tin (depending on what brand/type you use)
Then polish it off with a clean cloth.

I usually do this 3 times and after the final coat I use 0000 grade wire wool again to bring it to a nice matt sheen. The more elbow grease you put in, the shinier you can get it but I like the feel and look when its pretty matt.

You do need to give a little TLC to it over time as its not as hard wearing as a Cellulose and nowhere near as tough as polly finishes.
The good thing it, its relativley easy to repair through play wear/ accidents.

Its pretty straight forward really and I dont think there are any hard and fast rules but through trial and error I found this to work for me.

Hope it helps !
Last edited by jscustomguitars at Feb 27, 2008,