Hey, I was wondering if there is a way to figure out scales in the blues scale. For example, we all know that to figure out the major scale we just play a note and follow up the fret board going by "whole step, whole step, half step, ect..."

My question is, can you figure out the blues scale by doing this and if so, what is the key or w/e. by key I mean "whole step/half step/w/e"

Make any sence?

Thanks
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
yeah it does make sense! its a minor pentatonic plus the diminished fifth so:
1 step and a half - 1 step - half step - half step - 1 step n a half - 1 step

edit: example

blues scale of A: A C D D# E G A

that extra D# (in this case) is called the blue note
Last edited by swinghead at Feb 25, 2008,
so you basically take the minor pentatonic scale and flatten the 5th?....right?
Quote by Rahab
so you basically take the minor pentatonic scale and flatten the 5th?....right?

you ADD a flat 5th
blues scale is a pentatonic scale with an extra note. from the start it would be whole step, step and a half, whole step, half step, half step, whole step, whole step and that's you back on the root. you're better off thinking of it in terms of notes and in relation to the minor scale (or major, if you prefer). in therms of the minor scale, it's root, 3rd, 4th, b5th, 5th, 7th and root.
Quote by stwb
blues scale is a pentatonic scale with an extra note. from the start it would be whole step, step and a half, whole step, half step, half step, whole step, whole step and that's you back on the root. you're better off thinking of it in terms of notes and in relation to the minor scale (or major, if you prefer). in therms of the minor scale, it's root, 3rd, 4th, b5th, 5th, 7th and root.

youre right except for the fact that it starts with a whole step, as you said its root then minor third that is 1 step and a half
Ok thanks for the help guys, but im still kind of confused. What is the key again? I want to figure out the F# blues scale so would it be this:

F#: F# - A - B - C - C#- D# - F#?

Is that right?
Quote by slidething31
Close, F# blues is

F# - A - B - C - C# - E
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 25, 2008,
K thanks, if I had the right key, I would have got it right. Anyway, now that I know that I can basically figure out my own key.

Thanks

Quote by slidething31