I'm wanting to buy another humbuckered guitar as a backup instrument to my old favorite Stratocaster (which has been my main axe for 18 years, but is fast wearing out), but i'm not entirely sure what i'm after.

I currently own a Les Paul copy (a 1982 Japanese lawsuit Greco Super Real, basically a 1959 Les Paul clone w/ Dimarzio PAFs) and it's a probably the best guitar i'll ever own (and will never sell it!!!), but I find it a bit too dark sounding and inarticulate when recorded, and this doesn't really suit my originals compositions.

My sound revolves heavily around dirty rockin 12 bar blues (which I play through a Mesa Lone Star and an MXR GT-OD), with lots of blues, rockabilly, surf guitar, metal and jazz phrasing thrown in for good measure, and I need an axe to suit.

I really like the idea of a Floyd Rose equipped super-strat or even a Flying V type thing, but unsure of what body woods or pickup combinations I should be checking out - I’m seeking something bright and punchy (not extremely though) with a great dynamic range - something strat like - just fatter with maybe a little bit more gain, and not the amass of dark tone that a Les Paul has.

Music stores in my area are average at best, so i’d like to hear of any suggestions that anyone could offer me.
Last edited by ravenhaller at Feb 25, 2008,
Budget?

I'd say go get a custom shop Fender Showmaster or something from Music Man if it's a high one.
Quote by Supernaut2k
im thinking maybe an ibanez S / SA / SV right now, whats your budget?

Budget will be around $1500, but if I find something outstanding i'll pay a little more
An Ibanez S series could deffinately be a good bet as could a high end Music Man
It depends just how 'metal' or just how 'prog' you want to get

EDIT: ^ Just from that budget you could probably go with the top end S series like this
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-S2170FW-S-Prestige-Series-Electric-Guitar-with-Poplar-Burl-Top-103654430-i1321980.gc
(just fished it off of the site)
If your after hi-gain or oil over water tone get the B.C. Rich Kerry King signiture with the EMG 81/85 combo with PA2.
Quote by philipisabeast
An Ibanez S series could deffinately be a good bet as could a high end Music Man
It depends just how 'metal' or just how 'prog' you want to get

I would describe my core influences as blues, funk, swing, reggae, early punk, and hard rock, less technical metal or prog rock. I'm more of a 'feel' player.
Dean's are great but low on color options.

Les pauls are made of mahogany which is what gives them that dark tone. I suggest if you want brighter tone to get something made out of alder.
As far as pickups I'm a big proponent of swapping out stock pickups (unless it come with something good) and replacing them with dimarzio brand (that's just personal prefferance)
So IOP, get an alder axe and pop in some better pickups. Pretty much every company besides Gibson makes something that fits that profile. I suggest Jackson if you want a floyd, their licensed ones are the best I have played but still not as good as an original
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ravenhaller
I would describe my core influences as blues, funk, swing, reggae, early punk, and hard rock, less technical metal or prog rock. I'm more of a 'feel' player.

Hrm well Ibby S' are excellent, they're not as balls out metal as you can make an RG go but the mahogony bodies are very nice and they do have alot of tone to play with; and the contours and the neck lend itself to playing with ease; there's a whole range of them aswell with different options to choose from; i'd probably say they'd be an interesting option if you really wanted a floating bridge
Quote by ravenhaller

if you want something to play with feel like blues/jazz type stuff get either a high end strat or maybe a tele.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive