Can I connect the Marshall JCM900 SX-L 100watt head (on the low/50watt setting, 8 ohms) directly into the back of my Line 6 Spider II (which has two 75watt speakers and is 8ohms)?

Also, can I use a standard guitar lead to connect, or do I need a particular type of lead? If I did use a guitar lead, what would be at risk (out of the lead, amp head and speakers).

Thanks for the help in advance, if there's anything else I should take in account, go for it.
there is a way but you must have some low-grade knowledge in electronics and wiring
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Sell the Spider and put ti towards a 2x12 cab.. You'll be much happier..

I'm not doubting the Spiders speakers, although it will probably sound horrible, it just a lot more hassle then its worth.. I'd rather spend £150 on a cab with V30s off of thomann.de than risk blowing up my £800 head..
Plug it into the thingy socket for the speaker in the Line 6. You'll need a speaker cable for it. I suggest you sell the Line 6 for a decent cab.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Oh, I am getting a 2 12 cab this week, hopefully - and will more than likely sell the Spider II. I won't even need the Spider for practicing since I've got a Cube 30 for bedroom playing. [Edit]: I just wanted a temporary way of messing around with the amp and finding a sound I like.

Can anyone explain what the risks are in doing this (since it seems technically OK, 8 ohms to 8ohms, only a 50 watt power to speakers that can handle it). I've read that I'd need a speaker cable which is not a problem... so where is the risk of blowing the JCM900?
Quote by Dozza
Oh, I am getting a 2 12 cab this week, hopefully - and will more than likely sell the Spider II. I won't even need the Spider for practicing since I've got a Cube 30 for bedroom playing. [Edit]: I just wanted a temporary way of messing around with the amp and finding a sound I like.

Can anyone explain what the risks are in doing this (since it seems technically OK, 8 ohms to 8ohms, only a 50 watt power to speakers that can handle it). I've read that I'd need a speaker cable which is not a problem... so where is the risk of blowing the JCM900?

Well if everything's fine, then there is no risk. Are you sure the amp needs only 50 watt speakers though? Because it's supposed to be a 100, which is on the 50 watt, but I'm not too sure about that.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
I'm not doubting the Spiders speakers, although it will probably sound horrible, it just a lot more hassle then its worth.. I'd rather spend £150 on a cab with V30s off of thomann.de than risk blowing up my £800 head..

That was what worried me a little... but doesn't it apply in my situation? And is there anything I am missing?

Are you sure the amp needs only 50 watt speakers though? Because it's supposed to be a 100, which is on the 50 watt, but I'm not too sure about that.

And I'm not sure, someone else get that for me?
Anyone? Sorry for bumping, I need rush off and if I don't get chance do it now the thread'll be pretty much pointless.
This is one time when head is better than plugging your jack into the socket.

Ok, ok, what I mean is, don't risk ruining your nice Marshall by plugging it into some POS spider II (sorry if you like it, but I personally hate the things). Just be patient, sell the spider, and buy a cab. Carvin makes a good 2x12 with V30's (I think it's the legacy cab) that I've seen on eBay for around $300.

Edit: Oh, and use a speaker cable. Seriously.
Last edited by bullets34 at Feb 25, 2008,
Nah, I really dislike the Spider. The main thing is - you're the second person to tell me there is a risk without explaining what that risk is. This has lead me to believe there might actually not be any risk (that being the reason it's not mentioned) and you're just being overly cautious (not always a bad thing, I know). At the same time though, I don't want to go and do something that I might regret because I didn't get an answer for that tiny percentage of doubt I had.

So *anybody* got an answer that explains what can go wrong if I do this, based on the information I already gave?

Edit: yeah, got a speaker cable at hand right now (bassist in my band lives right round the corner). Just another question on that - what is the main differance between a speaker cable and instrument cable, and how can you tell the differance?
Last edited by Dozza at Feb 25, 2008,
you have to use a speaker cable. If you use a guitar cable it will probably work but eventually it would melt then short out and ruin your power transformer since there would be no load on the amp.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
I know that. What I asked was what makes the speaker cable do what the instrument cable can't (thicker cable?), and if I looked at them, what would be the differance?

Also, read my last post in this thread anyone - I'd really like some sort of certain response.
The speaker cable will have two cores that are basically two separate identical wires.

A guitar cable will have one core which is in the centre, then a layer of insulation and the shield core, then the outer sheath.

The speaker cable will have thicker wire and handle it better, with the two equal qires also. The guitar cable has different wires and isn't meant for it...

But that said, I've been using guitar patch leads as speaker cables for months now with no problems.

As for the speaker, make absolutely sure you are plugging into the correct jacks, and you'll be fine. The amp will only put out all that 50/100w when turned up, so the speakers will be fine with light use on the 50w mode.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Ah, thanks. Another question, just of curiosity: if I used an instrument cable, would it only be a risk if I was playing at high volume... or could I get away with having it low volume without having to worry?
Well I've used Patch Cables as patches from my cranked 30w Tube laney ionto an attenuator, and then from the attenuator into the speaker... And they still work fine, no damage.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
You're lucky it hasn't all melted.

Instrument cables are shielded and are only meant for line-level signals. There is a core for the signal, and a copper mesh for grounding.

Speaker cables are not shielded and are thicker, meant for higher throughput. Two identical cores running from one end to the other.

The copper mesh is a much higher impedence than the core in instrument cables. This puts undue strain on the amp. Using it as a speaker cable can damage your amp at any volume, keeping it low wouldn't make a difference (except maybe give it a little longer before it melts).
I´m not completely sure but I think that this is possible.

I personally wouldn´t skimp on a piece of equipment that could possibly destroy my amp, but each to his own...
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Yeah, just buy the cab already.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by bullets34
This is one time when head is better than plugging your jack into the socket.

Was that meant to be joke?

I can't tell =/
lolololol yes, it sounds like a joke
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ive cranked a 120 watt tube head through a instrument cable for hours and it was fine. I actually wouldnt worry about it at all.

Just make sure you go power amp out to power amp in.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.