What is the best way/setup to eliminate picking sounds while playing single notes?
Turning down distortion is not an option.
I've tried to lower the treble but it didn't help one bit.
I think I've heard someone talking about having a EQ-pedal to remove those annoying sounds. Can it work?

Also, I'm hearing this myth that picking sounds are more noticeable on noisy pickup(with feedback noises). Is it true?
Using a heavier pick maybe? I use a 2.0mm Big Stubby and I find I have a lot less pick noise than thinner picks I've used before.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
Using a heavier pick maybe? I use a 2.0mm Big Stubby and I find I have a lot less pick noise than thinner picks I've used before.

Yeah I switched to Heavy pick and got less noise from medium but it's still annoying. There should be other ways, right?
Volume pedal is THEE best way to remove picking sounds. For an example, look up Whispering a Prayer by Steve Vai on YouTube. Basically he picks the note then adds the volume, sounds really cool, but I'm guessing that might not be what you are looking for :P

Finger picking definitely has less of an attack sound.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Try adjusting your picking angle and the angle of attack. Sometimes your picking is sloppier than you think.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I think picking sounds give the music a bit more character. If you're listening to a solo and you hear percussive plugging away the strings, it tends to remind that there's actually a person playing.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Angus young's picking sound makes it for me

It just digs in every note and sounds friggin awesome
Quote by Ichimaru
I think picking sounds give the music a bit more character. If you're listening to a solo and you hear percussive plugging away the strings, it tends to remind that there's actually a person playing.

True that. But sometime it's really annoying to have.
I've been experimenting with different method of picking but it seems that the way I usually do does the least noise.

My pickups are really bad. They're noisy and do not allowing me to crank up the distortion above 6~7 without messing up. The picking noise start to be noticeable after 4~5 at distortion.

Can noise gate/Noise suppression pedal help with this?
A noise gate only activates when it detects no active signal from your guitar, so no, it won't help while you're playing. If you can find one the right thickness, you could try playing with a felt pick or a pick made of a similar material. Otherwise, try different pickups.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
pick with the round side of the pick and if you angle your pick dont
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Are you using Dunlops Tortex picks? I find those more noisy then others. Not that its a bad thing, its just the attack of the pick on the strings and can be used to your advantage. Try looking into some Fender Heavy Celluloid they'll be a lot smoother or something similar.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
ya i've been wondering that too. When i play the fast part in Halo by machine head in the solo i get these reli loud scraping sounds. Ive changed the way i pick and the angle but it's still pretty loud. I dont mean to hyjack the thread i just wanna see if they can help me while helping you.
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Orange 1x12 Cab with Vintage 30's.
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11

picking technique......
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
I was just essing with the height of my pups, and the picking noise grew intensily...but it could be my amp? It is really pissing me off.
Hello
I'm not sure which frequency it is, but I want to say cutting 1.6kHz using a parametric EQ will help a bit.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Quote by MXBoy11
I was just essing with the height of my pups, and the picking noise grew intensily...but it could be my amp? It is really pissing me off.

How far from the strings are the tops of your pickups?
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator