hello everyone! Just started playing, and got a cheap guitar from a friend who moved on to a better guitar. He gave me a small amp, but the sound is kind of crappy coming out of it. After reading up on guitars a bit, I've noticed that mine has only one pick-up. I was playing a bit of "Seek and Destroy" over the weekend, and noticed sometimes when I was hitting the G string, that the sound wasn't coming through the amp. This was intermittent. Would this have something to do with a single pick-up, or the crappy amp that I have?

Thanks!
welcome to ug,
it may be due to the guitat not being set up properly, can you hear the note when your playing without an amp, not t critiscise or it could be your playing or a couple of other things
ryan
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
the fact that you only have 1 pick-up has nothing to do with that. its one or a combination of poor wiring in the pickup/guitar & the crappy amp. plug it in your friends amp with a different cable & see what it does. then you'll know for sure.
A single pickup is fine. Eddie Van Halen used a single humbucker for many years and his sound was the envy of many guitarists. Is the intermittant sound only on the G string? If so it probably is none of the above. You probably have a set up problem which is an easy fix.
Quote by Imago Dei
A single pickup is fine. Eddie Van Halen used a single humbucker for many years and his sound was the envy of many guitarists. Is the intermittant sound only on the G string? If so it probably is none of the above. You probably have a set up problem which is an easy fix.

you just contradicted yourself. bad.
Quote by htsktim91989

isnt a humbucker ONE pickup?
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
It was on the G, but i noticed when i strummed all the strings, it was the G,B and E. This was with teh gain at the medium setting on the dial. I noticed when I turned the gain all the way up, they all worked, but the feedback was horrible. I don't know. btw, thanks for all the input
Eh. It's probably your guitar AND amp. Just practice the best you canand search around for better deals on guitars and amps.
Last edited by Ze_Metal at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by Ze_Metal
Eh. It's probably your guitar and amp.

Thats a given.
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
Quote by htsktim91989

No he didn't - we're talking about a single, as in solitary, pickup as opposed to a single coil pickup.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com