I've been thinking about replaceing my old Squier's pickup/pickups and maybe some other parts in order to get some practice on an 'expendable' guitar rather than my better one. The main reason is simply to see how easy it is and whether I should do the same to my good guitar in the future but it would also be nice to make it playable again. I'm very limited on money and since this is a risky attempt I decided to pretty much buy the cheapest parts I could find. I'd like to know whether it's ever really possible to make a Squier 'good' without changing the body or neck. Should I stick with my original plan of buying cheap parts or should I actually spend some money on trying to improve the Squier? Bearing in mind I already have a decent guitar. I'd also like any advice on the actual project itself e.g soldering, what parts to buy.
Oh I forgot to add that I want to change the bridge single coil with a humbucker which I've heard means you have to make space in the body for it to fit, both length and height-wise. In my strat, the springs for the whammy are only separated from the bridge cavity by a very narrow piece of wood meaning there is no room to make the cavity deeper.
look at the seymour duncan hot rails which is a single size humbucker
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by hans the lefty
look at the seymour duncan hot rails which is a single size humbucker

They're pretty expensive. Are you saying that it is a good idea to improve my Squier via the electronics?
same price as a seyour std hum
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
if you are going to try to improve it you need to spend a decent amound of money and i think the hot rails would be a good idea.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
ive never looked inside the cavity of a squier, but you shouldnt have to go down or back with the chiseling/routing. look at the Frankenstine (EVH) and see how he just expanded it in general? that SHOULD work if you have a defined cavity. if you have what i call a 'cave' (where its basically a big square) cavity, youll be fine without routing. the only problem is the pickguard. that, youll need a really good box cutter, or something of the like.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Quote by abyssspecter
ive never looked inside the cavity of a squier, but you shouldnt have to go down or back with the chiseling/routing. look at the Frankenstine (EVH) and see how he just expanded it in general? that SHOULD work if you have a defined cavity. if you have what i call a 'cave' (where its basically a big square) cavity, youll be fine without routing. the only problem is the pickguard. that, youll need a really good box cutter, or something of the like.

Ah, ok. I've already had a cheap hot rails copy fitted ages ago by an actual guitar technician and when I asked him about a full sized humbucker he said it'd be too tall to fit . Your explanation makes more sense seeing as I always thought the cavity looked big enough for a humbucker. As for the pickguard, I was planning to just by a new one as they're not that expensive. Getting a standard strat pickguard with the same number of screw holes as mine should fit fine, right? Thanks for your help.

Quote by hans the lefty
same price as a seyour std hum

yeah, but thats still expensive...

Quote by a4lrocker
if you are going to try to improve it you need to spend a decent amound of money and i think the hot rails would be a good idea.

My original objective wasn't to actually improve the Squier as most people seem to think there is no point. I was going to use it to try my hand at customising so that I can perhaps mod my decent guitar in the future without potentially ruining it. I was just asking whether that's a good plan or whether I should go ahead and spend a bit more money to make my Squier better. Do you think that it is worth me improving my Squier's electronics properly? seeing as I've already got a decent guitar and not a lot of money.
Last edited by Liam4 at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by Liam4
Ah, ok. I've already had a cheap hot rails copy fitted ages ago by an actual guitar technician and when I asked him about a full sized humbucker he said it'd be too tall to fit . Your explanation makes more sense seeing as I always thought the cavity looked big enough for a humbucker. As for the pickguard, I was planning to just by a new one as they're not that expensive. Getting a standard strat pickguard with the same number of screw holes as mine should fit fine, right? Thanks for your help.

to tall? maybe he ment for the mounting screws for the bucker...i dont know. as for your pickgaurd, yea, that should fit. as long as it says 'replacement for squire' or something similar.

glad i could help.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Hi

I am in the same situation and I would deffinately recomend doing some mods to a squire. I put a humbucker in mine and it fitted in with no need to cut any wood away. I did then put a humbucker in at the same angle as the single coil. This needed routering out a bit. I have now got some noiseless pickups in it and a better bridge and an American neck on it. Its great practice and as for soldering I would just say get a decent soldering iron and practice. All the electrics can be found on the Fender web site. Just have a go.

Thanks

Alfie
Quote by RockinAlfie
Hi

I am in the same situation and I would deffinately recomend doing some mods to a squire. I put a humbucker in mine and it fitted in with no need to cut any wood away. I did then put a humbucker in at the same angle as the single coil. This needed routering out a bit. I have now got some noiseless pickups in it and a better bridge and an American neck on it. Its great practice and as for soldering I would just say get a decent soldering iron and practice. All the electrics can be found on the Fender web site. Just have a go.

Thanks

Alfie

Yeah, I would like to do that but my money's limited. I'm trying to determine how far to go in order to balance out cost vs. outcome.
Umm have you thought bout buying a plate set-up (if you get me) like its a scratch plate for a strat tele etc but with a combitation of pickups e.g humbuckers single coils you could buy one of those and it should fit just check the dimensions and you should be fine.
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
I didnt do it all in one go. I started with the humbucker and 2 years later it is still being changed now and then.
Quote by Josola
Umm have you thought bout buying a plate set-up (if you get me) like its a scratch plate for a strat tele etc but with a combitation of pickups e.g humbuckers single coils you could buy one of those and it should fit just check the dimensions and you should be fine.

If you're talking about a pickguard already loaded with pickups plus all the electrics etc. then yes I am thinking about that as an option.