So I tried out my friend's THD hot plate today and I wasn't very impressed. I played it through my Peavey 6505+ half stack and Jackson RR1. First thing I noticed was the the lack of tone, even on the -4db setting. I haven't been playing long, but maybe I have a decent ear for tone. The hot plate seemed as though it sucked a considerable amount of tone from my amp, especially on the -16db setting. Second, the bright switch sounded pretty bad. When this was selected, the highs seemed pretty harsh to me. The deep switch seemed fine though, but I really didnt notice a whole lot of change when it was on. Third, the noise reduction system really didnt help with my amp. In fact when i tried to play pinch harmonics with it on it seemed like it cut out the sustain.

It really doesn't seem to me like the THD hot plate is worth the $350, honestly. Maybe it works better for different amps than I have though. I was considering buying an attenuator, but I love the tone of my amp so much that Im not going to sacrifice any of it in order to get my tubes more saturated.

I still have the hot plate here, so I am going to mess around with it some more to see if I can get it sounding any better.
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Jcm-900 Lead 1960 cab
Jackson USA RR1 w/SD blackouts
Jackson Dominion w/SD Distortion
Jackson SLS3 w/SD blackouts
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
The Weber attenuators are supposed to be good. But attenuators aren't the holy grail; there's a whole lot more to getting big sound than just pushing tubes.
Hi, I'm Peter
I'm not surprised by that. The 6505 gets most of its gain from the preamp, so using an attenuator just makes it quieter, as opposed to more vintage style amps which would get some power tube saturation.
Quote by Dirk Gently
The Weber attenuators are supposed to be good. But attenuators aren't the holy grail; there's a whole lot more to getting big sound than just pushing tubes.

I agree, I absolutely love the sound I get from my 6505+, and I dont want to sacrifice any tone, even if that means keeping the tubes from getting really saturated with an attenuator. I just wish my amp wasn't so damn loud sometimes haha.
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Jcm-900 Lead 1960 cab
Jackson USA RR1 w/SD blackouts
Jackson Dominion w/SD Distortion
Jackson SLS3 w/SD blackouts
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
I've found that my Hot Plate doesn't work too well with my Soldano (which is similar to your 6505), but it works pretty good with my Mojave Scorpion (50W, non-master volume, EL34s). It takes away a lot of the liveliness I love about the Soldano, but not nearly as much with the Mojave. You may want to try the line out on the Hot Plate just as an experiment. Set the THD to "load", & run the line out to a separate power amp & cab, or into the clean channel of another amp (disconnect the cab from the Hot Plate. You won't need it if it's set to load).
That way, you can get some pretty decent power tube distortion, but it's amplified through the separate amp or power amp. I do that with my Mojave, & it works good, but I'm still not happy with the way it works on the Soldano. It's worth a try, though.
Good luck.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011