Page 1 of 2
So I'm well into my 3rd year of college, and so far behind 2 years in graduation probably, and after 3 years really debating switching my major. I can't do this anymore. Computer Science and programming is NOT what I want to do for the rest of my life, it is way too stressing and just not enjoyable.

I went into it because I wanted to be in the video game industry (still do) so thought I could become a programmer, guess I was wrong unless C++ is more enjoyable than this Java crap. Also I really love music, like its what I enjoy a lot in my life, as well as video games, but music more so. I've FINALLY decided to stop self-teaching myself after a year and am even getting guitar lessons even though I'm 20 I always think about wanting to be in a band and somehow live off of that, even though its probably too late to get that good on guitar.

Anyway, yeah what should I do, any help. I want to do something I enjoy, I still enjoy the video game industry just not the programming part, and I would love to do the whole music thing, but my parents are really strict on me and **** and don't even let me choose what I want to do. Like my dad demands I stick with computers and crap, its the ghey. Honestly give me something music or video game related or something I'd enjoy for the rest of my life and I would excel at it, so the second problem being convincing my parents i know what i'm doing ughhh ... whatever, ok done ranting.

I never also formally said hi to this Pit area of the forum, sooo hello to the Pit!
I say go with the music, become a music teacher or something, the chances of making it with a band are very slim
why do people think having a degree in a particular subject chains you to that subject forver more?

a decent degree is the gateway to pretty much ay career you set your mind on.

stick with computeing and ace it. Then see what's available post-grad.
Quote by solitaryshell90
I say go with the music, become a music teacher or something, the chances of making it with a band are very slim

agreed.

but sod yourparents...its your life
cant be arsed to read that
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Wow thats weird but I'm in the exact same position. I'm a CS major and it does indeed blow. But my thoughts are that if you can finish it, you will be set, because a CS major will put you in high demand. Remember that CS does not mean program, you can make websites or do something fun. I think you should stick with it and don't throw away the work you've done because you don't have to hit it big as a musician at age 20. The great thing about music is that age does not restrict you.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Yamaha Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112

Effects:
DigiTech rp350 (For Sale)
BOSS RC-20 XL Loop Station
BOSS GT-10

Rock on!
......You're 3 years into college and all you have learned is a bit of Java?

Sorry, but that's a bit pathetic.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Honestly, it's not a big deal at all what you get your degree in, you can always double major, or just go back and get another degree. It's just having a college degree that counts imo, that right there will qualify you for plenty of jobs. I myself just decided my major(in my sophmore year in college), psychology, even though I probably won't become some huge psychologist and the like, the field just interests me so I went with it.
Quote by freedoms_stain
why do people think having a degree in a particular subject chains you to that subject forver more?

a decent degree is the gateway to pretty much ay career you set your mind on.

stick with computeing and ace it. Then see what's available post-grad.

I think he's right.

Do your parents pay for your school/housing/food? If they pay for your school especially, it would be a mega-bitch-slap if you didn't finish your degree.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by SacredxSuperman
So I'm well into my 3rd year of college, and so far behind 2 years in graduation probably, and after 3 years really debating switching my major. I can't do this anymore. Computer Science and programming is NOT what I want to do for the rest of my life, it is way too stressing and just not enjoyable.

I went into it because I wanted to be in the video game industry (still do) so thought I could become a programmer, guess I was wrong unless C++ is more enjoyable than this Java crap. Also I really love music, like its what I enjoy a lot in my life, as well as video games, but music more so. I've FINALLY decided to stop self-teaching myself after a year and am even getting guitar lessons even though I'm 20 I always think about wanting to be in a band and somehow live off of that, even though its probably too late to get that good on guitar.

Anyway, yeah what should I do, any help. I want to do something I enjoy, I still enjoy the video game industry just not the programming part, and I would love to do the whole music thing, but my parents are really strict on me and **** and don't even let me choose what I want to do. Like my dad demands I stick with computers and crap, its the ghey. Honestly give me something music or video game related or something I'd enjoy for the rest of my life and I would excel at it, so the second problem being convincing my parents i know what i'm doing ughhh ... whatever, ok done ranting.

I never also formally said hi to this Pit area of the forum, sooo hello to the Pit!

Dude weirdly enough i wanted to be a programmer of C++ as well and work in video game industry.

Sadly were i live there is no industry/jobs in it so i had to give it up...

Though i still wanna do programming, what is it actually like? I applied for ICT on my UCAS.
i'm in my 2nd year of collaaaaage, and it sucks....but at least theres plenty of hot chicks here

...oh yeah and to the TS, i agree with Gandalf the Tan
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
I can relate, man. I'm still a freshman in college but I came in majoring in graphic design because I wanted to work with computer imaging and video games and whatnot. But since then I have discovered this major is not really what I want to do and its a assload of work. I dropped all my studio art classes and now I'm just doing general education courses. I'm really just in college to satisfy my parents; thats what they want for me and I figure I owe it to them, given they raised me and funded me for almost 19 years. Once I'm finished with college I'll be moving in with my best friends from my band and I'll be doing that for as long as I can ride it because that's what I love. After 3 years already you're in a tough spot. If you really want to make music then do it. Stay in school just so you have a degree to fall back on, and if you really don't want to continue that major then look into something else. Don't keep putting yourself through all that crap and working yourself so hard if its not your passion.
Quote by Ez0ph
Tissues are lame cuz then you gotta spend an hour gettin the little paper off of your dick
i just shoot it into my neighbors yard
not my problem anymore
Quote by SacredxSuperman

Anyway, yeah what should I do, any help. I want to do something I enjoy, I still enjoy the video game industry just not the programming part, and I would love to do the whole music thing, but my parents are really strict on me and **** and don't even let me choose what I want to do. Like my dad demands I stick with computers and crap, its the ghey.

Man you're 20. You should be making your own decisions in life, not living off the choices of your parents. It's not often I say this, but you really do need to grow a pair of testicals man.

Do the whole music thing after you have a degree so you have something to fall back on in case (and it probably will) go horribly wrong.
Quote by SealCubMassacre
Man you're 20. You should be making your own decisions in life, not living off the choices of your parents. It's not often I say this, but you really do need to grow a pair of testicals man.

Do the whole music thing after you have a degree so you have something to fall back on in case (and it probably will) go horribly wrong.

+1

College degree = Job
Guitar (for most people) = Hobby
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I'm not sure about your college, but at most of the schools I've been looking at you have to audition freshman year and be pretty damn good in the first place if you want to be a music major. I think you're probably to far in CS to do music in school. I'm sure there's some electives you could take though.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Hey.

I have a friend who was in almost that exact situation. He did computing something at university and left to take music at college, then at university. It worked out for him.

On the other hand, I have loads of other friends who did the same course in music and are currently not making money from their bands, nor with any music related work.

I'm taking a degree in psychology...It's definitely not more appealing to me than music. However, since i've been playing guitar for almost ten years, I've started teaching part time. I make the same/more money than my friends at uni who take part time jobs and I love doing it - so much so that I may consider teaching as a career path.

It's a tough call and there are no absolute rules on what will happen if you do x, y or z etc. Remember that changing your course isn't the only way to get involved in music, it doesn't have to be that drastic. You can do diplomas with the ABRSM, RGT or someone like that, earning you qualifications approaching and equivalent to degree level.

As for your concerns about it being too late to get good at guitar, I think they're misplaced. With the right attitude and dedication it needn't take as long as you think to get good.

Think about it carefully. If you want to talk, you're welcome to send me a pm
I'd stick with it. Just because your degree is in computer programming doesn't mean you have to work with video games. If it's a good quality course, you can do most things.
i cant believe how many people are doing computer science.

im studying computer science and i feel the same man im 19 and im barely in my first year of college

im studying for computer science since the demand for it is really high and it pays a bunch of money it probably is boring but it pays pretty good so you be able to get all that nice gear you want and maybe a bmw XD and if you get good at guitar maybe you could start your side project or something

i would like to play guitar for a living as well but i suck i cant play the stuff i want yet and even if i was good playing guitar i doubt i will even make it big because metal is not very popular in the music industry just a few people listen to it
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Quote by darkstar2466
......You're 3 years into college and all you have learned is a bit of Java?

Sorry, but that's a bit pathetic.

Yes I said I messed up and was behind in the original topic, I'm obviously trying to fix that as this would be my final semester of Java if I just pass it, then it probably wouldn't be too bad and i would be moving onto probably some more interesting programming, so maybe I should just stick to it.

And I know about the whole grow testicles against parents and such, but when they paid for my first 2 years of college, and I still live with them and such, I feel I should atleast make them proud, and I don't mind Computer Science as much as I'm just hating Java right now so dont diss me too damn much.
well switching to music wouldnt be a good thing i would say. music is very hard to get into, and you seem pretty new at it (for playing only a year). being a band is basically impossible unless you know the right people, and to excell in music you would need alot more than just knowing how to play a few power chords. you need to read, learn other instruments, take tons of theory classes, etc... you say you love music, but to the point where you would want to (or be able to) live off it is kinda iffy. stick with the computers, i would say
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
Quote by SacredxSuperman
Yes I said I messed up and was behind in the original topic, I'm obviously trying to fix that as this would be my final semester of Java if I just pass it, then it probably wouldn't be too bad and i would be moving onto probably some more interesting programming, so maybe I should just stick to it.

And I know about the whole grow testicles against parents and such, but when they paid for my first 2 years of college, and I still live with them and such, I feel I should atleast make them proud, and I don't mind Computer Science as much as I'm just hating Java right now so dont diss me too damn much.

You need to take a lot of classes, perhaps 3 more years worth, before you know what Computer Science actually is. Java is but a drop in the ocean of CS. What are you learning right now?

It seems like you are just beginning to program in Java. After you get your basic programming knowledge done, you will need to learn Data Structures, principles of Assembly Language, Algorithm Design, Operating Systems, principles of Programming Languages, Computer Architecture and many other fields within CS.

As far as other languages go, it depends on what the language is and what purpose it serves. Most languages have the same principles of functions and pointers, whether direct or indirect, and operate similarly. You will understand how computers work and how the high level code you write gets executed on a machine, when you take Assembly Language and Computer Architecture.

If you can't handle basic programming in Java, don't bother going further. It's just a waste of time.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
You need to take a lot of classes, perhaps 3 more years worth, before you know what Computer Science actually is. Java is but a drop in the ocean of CS. What are you learning right now?

It seems like you are just beginning to program in Java. After you get your basic programming knowledge done, you will need to learn Data Structures, principles of Assembly Language, Algorithm Design, Operating Systems, principles of Programming Languages, Computer Architecture and many other fields within CS.

As far as other languages go, it depends on what the language is and what purpose it serves. Most languages have the same principles of functions and pointers, whether direct or indirect, and operate similarly. You will understand how computers work and how the high level code you write gets executed on a machine, when you take Assembly Language and Computer Architecture.

If you can't handle basic programming in Java, don't bother going further. It's just a waste of time.

Ok well this is my first year of actually being in Computer Science, I was in Computer Information Systems before this, is it smarter that I switch back to that and get my degree in that? Because that was one of my options.
Quote by darkstar2466

+1. Java is quite nice to program in.

-SD
Alright now that I actually look at it and think, CIS is more the way I want to go since it is more business based anyway, and I feel more comfortable in that field along with minor programming added to it and such.
Quote by SacredxSuperman
Alright now that I actually look at it and think, CIS is more the way I want to go since it is more business based anyway, and I feel more comfortable in that field along with minor programming added to it and such.

What do you learn, as a CIS major?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Get your degree and then do what you want. Playing videogames is fun, developing them sucks. Deal with it. In life, maybe 10% of what you'll do, you'll actually enjoy.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Who said 20 was too old to be in a band, chris adler from log was like early 20's when he started drumming you douchebags!
Kindof off-topic, but is CS really as difficult/boring as some people in this thread are making it out to be? CS is my intended major for college next year; I like what I have been doing in my programming class this year, but we have barely scratched the surface of java. Should I be scared?!

-Rich
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by darkstar2466

I think he means more along the lines of IT. Minimal programming, more troubleshooting hardware and networking, etc.

Quote by SoccerRM1
Kindof off-topic, but is CS really as difficult/boring as some people in this thread are making it out to be? CS is my intended major for college next year; I like what I have been doing in my programming class this year, but we have barely scratched the surface of java. Should I be scared?!

Only be scared if you jam all your CS coursework into 3 semesters like I am…

It's really not that bad, so far the toughest class has been Computer Architecture, which is about how a CPU works from the ground up. After that the only possibly tough class I'll have is Operating Systems. The only thing that is making it difficult is taking so many CS classes concurrently - I have multiple assignments due every week. This week is midterms plus I have 4 assignments due Friday, some in different languages.

After taking 2 semesters of Java (which we have to before admission to the program here), you'll know whether you want to do it or not.

-SD
Last edited by SilentDeftone at Feb 25, 2008,
Being 20 Does Not Mean Its Too Late To Learn The Guitar

You Are Nuts
The times they are a changin'.....
Quote by darkstar2466

Well best way I've seen it explained is ...
The CIS program stresses management and business legacy systems (mainframes, COBOL, RPG, and so on) plus application development for Windows environments (Visual C++ and Visual Basic, spreadsheets, etc.), primarily for large management information systems and database systems (including accounting, inventory, payroll, personnel, and sales).

So you would become like a Systems Analyst or such things as that, more business oriented basically and less programming and such as stated.
Quote by SoccerRM1

-Rich

CS is the most exciting major there is, excepting Philosophy, Psychology and the Neurobiological branches. If you are intuitive, like to find out how things work at the innermost details, have UNLIMITED patience, CS is for you. I'm an Electrical Engineering major, but I'm taking a computer science course every quarter because I love it.

You'll find out if it's right for you within the first two courses you take in college.

Quote by SacredxSuperman
Well best way I've seen it explained is ...
The CIS program stresses management and business legacy systems (mainframes, COBOL, RPG, and so on) plus application development for Windows environments (Visual C++ and Visual Basic, spreadsheets, etc.), primarily for large management information systems and database systems (including accounting, inventory, payroll, personnel, and sales).

So you would become like a Systems Analyst or such things as that, more business oriented basically and less programming and such as stated.

Ahhh, I get it. If your university offers a class on SAP, get into that. It's the hot shit right now.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by SilentDeftone

It's really not that bad, so far the toughest class has been Computer Architecture, which is about how a CPU works from the ground up.
-SD

lol, I'm also taking an A+ certification course at my community college and we were learning about cpu's for a week..
the book used some stupid metaphor about how "the man in the box" does this and that.. hah
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
lol, I'm also taking an A+ certification course at my community college and we were learning about cpu's for a week..
the book used some stupid metaphor about how "the man in the box" does this and that.. hah

Lulz at the level of innocence of the basic explanation of a CPU. Modern CPUs are so damn complicated... it's not even funny. 19-stage pipelines =
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by SoccerRM1

Yeah that's not even close.

Right now I'm (simulation) configuring a control unit for the single cycle CPU I built. We're using JLS to simulate circuits. There's no man in the box, only wires and logic gates.

Quote by darkstar2466
Lulz at the level of innocence of the basic explanation of a CPU. Modern CPUs are so damn complicated... it's not even funny. 19-stage pipelines =

Ugh, I start pipelining on Wednesday…

-SD
Quote by SilentDeftone
Yeah that's not even close.

Right now I'm (simulation) configuring a control unit for the single cycle CPU I built. We're using JLS to simulate circuits. There's no man in the box, only wires and logic gates.

Ugh, I start pipelining on Wednesday…

-SD

The very first assignment in the Computer Architecture course here, assigned in the first week, is to design an ALU that can add, subtract, multiply, divide, shift left and right, &, |, not, xor.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Well, you should probably learn about a career in the Navy. According to the ad on the top of this page, it is "cutting edge."
Quote by darkstar2466
CS is the most exciting major there is, excepting Philosophy, Psychology and the Neurobiological branches. If you are intuitive, like to find out how things work at the innermost details, have UNLIMITED patience, CS is for you. I'm an Electrical Engineering major, but I'm taking a computer science course every quarter because I love it.

You'll find out if it's right for you within the first two courses you take in college.

Ahhh, I get it. If your university offers a class on SAP, get into that. It's the hot shit right now.

Just exactly what SAP are you speaking of? Theres a bunch of different acronyms for that
Page 1 of 2