Poll: Are you in favour of the death penalty?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are you in favour of the death penalty?
YEAH!
157 38%
NO WAY!
228 55%
I have no opinions
31 7%
Voters: 416.
Page 1 of 10
In another post just now someone mentioned that according to a questionaire carried out by The Sun newspaper (cough) 99% of British people are in favour of the death penalty. Lets see what the pit thinks of it!
For it.

You kill someone and they get 15 years in jail? They'll be out in 7.

Our country's justice system is ****. We need it.
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
against...
If you make a mistake (and they WILL, they always make mistakes), there's no way of turning it back...
I'm against.
Quote by charvel_man
So UG appears to be riddled with warlocks.

*Prepares pitchfork*
Quote by skydemon666
Im not from the UK, but no one should have it.

Oh yeah, you don't have to be from the UK, I should have made it "for or against the death penalty anywhere"
Why is it wrong for a person to take someones life away, if the goverement can do it aswell?
Quote by Punks|Not|Dead
For it.

*sigh*

I wish half the country wouldn't think this way.

Look, my friend. If it's so simple, why don't YOU go ahead and run the judicial system??? Oh, and don't let me hear you complaining about that huge tax hike to pay for the expenses.
Quote by Punks|Not|Dead
For it.

No, we need tougher prison sentences. People are imprisoned wrongly all the time, its beyond conscience to kill an innocent person for crimes they didn't commit.
If you kill someone then you should get killed back
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by Punks|Not|Dead
For it.

So we make sentences longer and don't give parole so early. We don't have to kill them to solve the problem.
Quote by Novacane...
So we make sentences longer and don't give parole so early. We don't have to kill them to solve the problem.

The money for keeping them there will come out of your wallet, you realise.
Quote by cam_sampbell

can you 100% guarantee every single person convicted of murder is guilty?
Against it.

And bollocks to 99% of people disagreeing with me. The tabloids can go and fuck themselves for factual innaccuracy like that.
Quote by Vermintide

True, but a life is worth more than all the money in the UK, even if it's a criminal's life.
Quote by Vermintide

So will the money for keeping them on death row for 20 years.
Quote by Vermintide
It's far too expensive and fussy, even if the criminal does deserve it.

Pretty sure it's more expensive to keep them alive in jail for 60 years....
I actually looked at some staticstics a year or so ago, and if you use the money you save on killing life sentence felons, you can put 2 kids through college (per criminal that is..)

So yeh capital punishment FTW If they are gonna die anyway, why not just bust a cap in their ass on the spot instead of torturing both them and the two kids you could potentially put through college by keeping them alive for 100000 years.

However, I am actually in favor of the Norwegian way of doing things... The longest sentence we have is 21 years, we have no guns (not even cops) and we have th lowest murder rate in the world.
Quote by cam_sampbell

thats a shite idea, you're an idiot
if you kill them you're just as bad, who the hell are we to decide whether someone dies or not

they can rot in jail for all i care, but the death penalty gives the human no rights, like animals
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
I think some people deserve it. If its someone who like... robbed a bank or stole money from a company.. definitely not. A murder, no. But if this person has multiple horrific murders, is ****ing crazy and/or practises canibalism.. totaly. Death sentence should be for the deserving. Hitler deserved it (even thoe he gave it to himself), anyone who murders a or multiple children deserves it.

some people do, some dont.
Quote by TheQuailman
True, but a life is worth more than all the money in the UK, even if it's a criminal's life.

That's not my point. I'm against the death penalty too.

I just wish people would THINK about what they say on issues like this. It's always divided between "Pub Thinkers", who say "SCUM SHOULD BE KILLED. THEY ROB GRANNIES AND GET AWAY WITH IT!" and pussies who bleat on about human rights.

Neither is an effective solution.

Quote by pwnerer
Pretty sure it's more expensive to keep them alive in jail for 60 years....

It's actually not. Criminals sentenced to death are entitled to appeals and ****; the legal costs rack up quite a bit. By the time they are actually executed they are old men anyway.
Quote by Vermintide
*sigh*

I wish half the country wouldn't think this way.

Look, my friend. If it's so simple, why don't YOU go ahead and run the judicial system??? Oh, and don't let me hear you complaining about that huge tax hike to pay for the expenses.

And how much do you think it costs to keep them for 25 years?

Quote by Vermintide
It's actually not. Criminals sentenced to death are entitled to appeals and ****; the legal costs rack up quite a bit. By the time they are actually executed they are old men anyway.

You're forgetting that this would act as a deterrent to future crimes.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Feb 25, 2008,
Im all for it. I don't see why taxpayers should get to pay to keep serial killers in their own private jail cells for 30 years.

I can't agree with the human rights/worth of life arguements against the death penalty either. If someone commits murder(s) i dont think they have any human rights at all.
Quote by Vermintide
That's not my point. I'm against the death penalty too.

I just wish people would THINK about what they say on issues like this. It's always divided between "Pub Thinkers", who say "SCUM SHOULD BE KILLED. THEY ROB GRANNIES AND GET AWAY WITH IT!" and pussies who bleat on about human rights.

Neither is an effective solution.

so what do you propose?
I'm not from the UK, but I don't think anybody has the right to choose if someone gets to live or not.
Quote by Sculptor
Im all for it. I don't see why taxpayers should get to pay to keep serial killers in their own private jail cells for 30 years.

With the death penalty, the taxpayer still has to pay for years of keeping a prisoner in a cell.
Quote by TheQuailman
so what do you propose?

We used to have a solution.

It was called Australia.

Then they went and formed a nation.

Basteds.
Quote by Jonn0
thats a shite idea, you're an idiot
if you kill them you're just as bad, who the hell are we to decide whether someone dies or not

they can rot in jail for all i care, but the death penalty gives the human no rights, like animals

well its not justice when they get free in about 7 years because the prisons are too full and while inside they get better meals than in hospitals ( i know, my uncles a che f there) and they get tvs and i think even Wiis

also, when they killed the person then they should get as many rights as the person who they killed
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I'm against the death penalty in the UK.

In the US, however...I also oppose it.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Last edited by Gunpowder at Feb 25, 2008,
99%? Where the hell did they go to ask that questionnaire?

No, I am absolutely not in favour of reinstating the death penalty. Its permanent removal is one of the few good things this stupid government has done.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Vermintide
It's far too expensive and fussy, even if the criminal does deserve it.

:| are you serious.

15 years inprisonment is alot more taxpayers money wasted than a cyanide injection.

Kill the mass murderers. If they see it fit for them to kill numerous people, then i see it fit for the government to impose that on themselves.
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Quote by Vermintide
In reality the death penalty costs tax payers far more money than imprisoning them for life.

Every single death sentence in the US is automatically appealed. And the vast majority of death row inmates keep appealing until they are no longer able to. So most death row inmates end up serving what is essentially a life sentence (more than 20 years on death row) before they're actually put to death in addition to all of the court costs for every single one of their appeals. Then add on the costs for the actual execution and other such administrative costs that are not associated with a life sentence and an execution ends up costing far more than a life sentence.
I'm sure they would rather be killed than live out their days in prison. Loads of prisoners commit suicide anyway, death isn't really punishing them, its helping them escape sooner.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I'm not enthusiastic to the point of "YEAH!" as in the poll, but it would definitely have its benefits.

Quote by Ichimaru
I'm sure they would rather be killed than live out their days in prison. Loads of prisoners commit suicide anyway, death isn't really punishing them, its helping them escape sooner.

So if they were just killed in the first place, we'd have more prison space for people committing less serious crimes.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club