Ok im a complete noob on compressors, heard there good for tightening up sound. Please tell me what they do, tighten up bass, mids, treble? And which is the best one out there
They even out the volume of notes.

This is useful for getting equal volume out of hybrid/finger picking, increasing sustain, etc...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
forgive me for my knowledge of tech terms but imagin you rcord some music and on thetrack it looks like this:
/\ /\ /
/ \ / \/
/ \/

compressing it would make it even i dunno if tht helps cant really draw a diagram on this
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
compresses the sound :P hence the name im guessing. But would i be better off with an OD?
sorry tht looks really bad
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
A compressor reduces the dynamic range, thus creating the illusion of increased sustain, and often reducing bass boominess. If you get the BBE maxcom compressor (which I use) you also get a built in delay between low and high frequencies that prevents your speakers from recreating too many frequencies at once, and thus makes everything sound clearer and more defined.

Think if your playing spanned 6 decibles for example, you could lower that difference to three, or even have every note be the exact same volume. That's what a compressor does.
it just allows the sound to not go below or above a certain point keeping it even and hence the tightening of your sound
A lot of people use a compressor all the time, not on and off on different songs like other effects. You might look at getting a nice rackmount compressor rather than the boss. I don't see why a compressor would inherently contribute to your low end really, if you get the maxcom as I recomended you get a very nice bass boost along with the dynamic processing, and that lowend will stand out clearly because of the BBE processing.
Also, compressors are VERY common to use in the studio on recorded tracks (not only guitar) to even out the sound.

What damn_punks described is a limiter. They work on the same thing. Making quiet notes louder and making loud notes quieter. But a limiter does it to the more "extreme".
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Varkunus
Ok im a complete noob on compressors, heard there good for tightening up sound. Please tell me what they do, tighten up bass, mids, treble? And which is the best one out there

Most copressors have a "tone" know. This know is the frequency that everything is comressed to. If you set it to a low frequency it'll squish out your mids and trebble and just give you a tight bass. If you set it to a midrange frequency it's squish out bass and trebble and give you tight bass. and so on...
Not taking any online orders.
call me noob but whats rackmount. And i noticed the boss has mroe options than the MXR
ok fair enough, but would an OD be better for intention. And im thinking of buying a delay for trippy sound, also i think i could use this with small amount of delay for a really beefed sound
Quote by Varkunus
call me noob but whats rackmount.

Rackmount = something you have in a rack.

Quote by Varkunus
ok fair enough, but would an OD be better for intention

Can you define a bit more closely what you want to do with your sound. I read that you want to "tighten it up", but I've seen so much of what I felt was horrible advice given in this forum for tightening up ones sound that I don't think my definition of a tight sound is the same as that of some people on this forum.

For doing what I would refer to as "tightening up the sound", assuming you don't want to get a new amp or guitar, I would say speakers, cab, possibly pickups, possibly removing some pedals if you have a lot of them that are robbing you of your tone, and things like this. Adding more dirt is never what I would call "tightening up".

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and then there's of course the possibility that you've don't got your sound EQ'd right...
Last edited by whoismilan at Feb 25, 2008,
yh i know minimum gain you can get away with without effecting you tone is best. Well i want a "tight" bottom end. Like similar to mesa, and i was thinking of using the zw-44 with gain min and level max
ahh dont report wont happen again! thats a promise im already on warning, and know i should just dont wana waste £120 odd