"I got this thing, and it has 6 strings... and I was wondering... what the heck do I do with it?"

Haha I think that about sums it up!

Where do I begin? How do I start? Do i start straight with songs? Do I just learn a load of chords? Do i do it from books? Videos? Computer CD's? Do i use tabs? Whaaa?

I wanna play songs like Linkin Park and green day, things like that, eventually!

Where is the best place to start?
Quote by Smarky

Where do I begin? How do I start? Do i start straight with songs? Do I just learn a load of chords? Do i do it from books? Videos? Computer CD's? Do i use tabs? Whaaa?

I wanna play songs like Linkin Park and green day, things like that, eventually!

Where is the best place to start?

You could do all the above, the best option would be to have a teacher if you can afford one but there are lots of online teachers offering free video lessons.

Here's a link to one but there are others.

http://www.justinguitar.com/
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
I just grabbed a small book that taught the extreme basics and how to read tabs. Then I went crazy learning tabs for a long time, that would get you to linkin park and green day, their stuff wont be to hard to learn.
This is the best website that I could find that taught extreme basics in an understandable manner. It's the website I started on. It's really good at explaining things that many teachers take for granted and assume you already know. Just start at lesson one, and don't move on to the next lesson until you master the one you're on. Good luck my man!

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/guitar-lessons.html
nah...i learnt completely from scratch,with just some chords...i would say practise around with chords first...get your fingering right and BAM! you are good to go...of course,theres finger picking and other stuffs..but first things first.. And tabs is waaay too easy to understand...

the six lines simply represent the six strings...top line,first string,bottom most line,6th string...the numbers represent the fret...see,easy as pie...

and just practise a lot...i made a mistake and i barely played for the first six months...but now i play everyday,and i'm loving in...

hope you get along well! all the best,and keep playing..