Yeah bypass the flames and go straight to the question.
How well do the strat trems to divebombs? I've been looking for a guitar with a trem and I've heard Strat trems are easiest to setup. I like the tone for blues on the Strat too.
Say I grab a Standard MIM Strat for $400 USD. How much would it cost to whack a 24 fret neck on that too? Maybe replace the bridge pup too but what do you guys think? Floyds seem too much of a pain in the ass for me.
I know standards don't stay in tune as well as floyds. If your doing a lot of dive bombs nothing beats an original floyd. For strats in metal check out Jake E. Lee, He plays hard rock/metal and is famous as using a strat.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
well the only strat i can think of that'll do metal is the one with a floyd (sorry). floyds are definately worth the annoyance and i love playing them. regular strat tremolos are mainly for small to medium vibratos IMO, and are meant for just about anything but metal(cept for maybe alice in chains, cause jerry cantrell uses one, if memory serves me).
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Your sig just made me giggle, Yellowshirtman. A rare occurence.

TS, now I think about it, why not buy a guitar with a non-recessed Floyd? That way, the set-up is no hassle at all, and it will keep perfect tune with a locking nut. You only lose the ability to pull up; seems a good trade-off for you.
Quote by RPGoof
Yeah bypass the flames and go straight to the question.
How well do the strat trems to divebombs? I've been looking for a guitar with a trem and I've heard Strat trems are easiest to setup. I like the tone for blues on the Strat too.
Say I grab a Standard MIM Strat for $400 USD. How much would it cost to whack a 24 fret neck on that too? Maybe replace the bridge pup too but what do you guys think? Floyds seem too much of a pain in the ass for me.

I've never seen a fender strat with 24 frets. Idk if it's possible.

Doing all this would be alot more work than just dealing with a floyd.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Im doing the same, my Strat is already Duncaned, i want a 24 fret neck and a Floyd Rose, which should be absolutely fine if it holds its set up correctly
so you want something thats basically a strat with a 24 fret neck and a floyd rose??
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=511668

uses the same body wood as a strat and the pickups clean up pretty nicely.

If you still want to buy a strat than be prepared to change the pickups, stock strat humbuckers are extremley weak. The Trem is OK for divebombing, but you cant pull up on it. I used to do divebombs on my squire tho so it should be fine. If you ask me you wont get a good metal tone on a strat unless you have a good metal amp or effects. Changing the bridge pickup might work as well. But its much easier to just get a DK2.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
first i thought the thread said 'strap for metal' and i was like, well duh if your gonna be playing metal it would look kinda dumb sittn on a chair
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Works OK for me, but you can't go as nuts as you can with a floyd and expect it to stay in tune. There's lots of little things you can do to the guitar to help it stay in tune better, but it will go out of tune if you really abuse the bar.

this set up guide helped me a lot:
http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster.php

I have a couple of songs posted in the original recordings section that uses the bar a bit - and it's a stock MIM fat strat. It can be done but you will be tuning up a lot.
Quote by RPGoof
Do those other HSS guitars have the twangy strat sound? :S

Depends.
My MIM HSS strat doesn't. Only my vintage strat does.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by RPGoof

not as much. Even the most metal alder body guitars have it (my DKMG has a little) but its much easier to cover up when the distortion is turned up on Jacksons becuase the pickup change is already done. Im not saying you cant play metal on a strat, its just a lot more work for the same result as a jackson, but a strat will sound nicer when you play on clean so if its worth it to you than go for it. I dont know if you can put a 24 fret neck on a strat tho.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
I personaly think that strats can't pull off a good metal sound. It doesn't matter how you set it up, its still gonna be the same ugly sound. You're better off going with an Ibanez or a Schecter if you want true metal sound. And yes, a floyd is definately the way to go. I play on a Floyd and let me tell you I'm never going back to standard. Floyds are excellent. Holds tuning perfectly and the set up isn't as bad as you think. Sure retuning's a bit of a bitch, but its worth it. My advice, don't get a Strat. They just don't have a good metal sound.
ive heard people get good metal tones from a strat, but ive never actually been able to get a good metal tone from one myself. Again look at Jackson, very strat like guitars.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by RPGoof

They do when you switch away from the humbucker.

And you can do metal with a strat - - just ask Dave Murray of Iron Maiden. But then again he's not going for the super heavy crunch that people associate with metal these days.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796697 - - my completely stock MIM HSS on lead.
Ah, yes, too true.

Tis odd, though. I cannot seem to find the Showmaster on the Fender site. Does anyone know if it's been discontinued?

I know you said HSS, but for some reason I thought there was an HSS showmaster.
Just go for a good old USA Strat with a humbucker in the bridge. Then if you want get a Floyd rose fitted but the standard tremolo is still pretty good.
Quote by grevhead221
I personaly think that strats can't pull off a good metal sound. It doesn't matter how you set it up, its still gonna be the same ugly sound.

Fail.

Don't listen to him, he listens to My Chemical Romance lol
I think you can't just swap a 24fret neck on a strat (designed for 21fret), because the intonation will be way off even if you try to set it up on the bridge. Just buy a superstrat.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I think rondomusic.com has a 24 fret strat with a FR. Very cheap. But people say rondomusic has good quality stuff so it might be worth looking at. Buy a better FR trem, new hardware pickups, etc and I bet it would be alright. Probably better to get an RG tho.
A single coil strat can do metal just fine

I think alot of people get caught up in the "metal" guitar and pickups thing when its really not that necessary. For one thing you can always add gain and EQ or anything AFTER the guitar. But you can't clean up a guitar if the pickups are already blazing hot. Even if you are a 100% metal player you may want to have some cleans here and there or have a guitar that can do everything without having to switch out.

IMO the cleaner the signal being sent to your amp the better your overall tone will be. You can use tons of gain and pedals after the guitar.