so i went to a guitar store a couple weeks ago and tried out some HSS strats because everyone says how versitile they are. I plugged one in and palyed it, the tone was glassy and twangy like a single coil strat, i looked at it and saw it was an HSS model. I picked up an SSS model near by and compared the two, couldnt tell the difference. At first i thought it might be that particular model so i grabbed another HSS but it had the same twang that i thought having would eliminate. The sound was not thick like most humbucker gutiars should be. I came up with a theory that maybe Fender puts a dummy humbucker( a single coil that looks like a humbucker) because they realize that most people are going to change the pickups anyway. Is that true or are they just really weak humbuckers.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
On very cheap guitars, it could indeed be that the humbuckers just blow.

Or, it could be you were playing them through a **** amp that just sucked all the tone out anyway.

Or, what i think is more likely, is that you didn't put the pickup select all the way to the full humbucker - many HSS guitars have a setting before the full humbucker that uses just the front single coil of the humbucker.
nah i tried it on all settings and i tried it through a Vox AD100VT and later a peavey valveking. i also tried out the Highway 1s, better tone, but still didnt sound liek a full humbucker.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by GoDrex
hmmm that's weird. My HSS strat is definitely thinner sounding than a Les Paul, but the humbucker is definitely real. One easy way to tell is there's no HUM when you're on that pickup.

Take note at the neck's length also... LP has 24 3/4 length while strat has 25.5 The shorter neck length often prefered to give warmer tone and the longer neck gives more twangy because of the different string tension.
Quote by hminh87
Take note at the neck's length also... LP has 24 3/4 length while strat has 25.5 The shorter neck length often prefered to give warmer tone and the longer neck gives more twangy because of the different string tension.

Don't forget body woods
i'd say either you didn't have the humbucker selected, the selector switch or humbucker was broken, or else the stock fender humbucker isn't great (which is extremely possible). EDIT: a fat strat won't sound like a les paul, but it should still sound like a humbucker, when selected.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, a Strat will probably never sound like a Les Paul, no matter what pick ups are intact in it.