Ok I got a bass. But all lessons i try suck!!! My internet won't support the beginer videos. so any one know any good bass beginer books???
Also how are the strings positioned???

G
D
A
E (Closest to floor)
Or

E
A
D
G (Closest to floor) I'm right handed
Last edited by Bassdude007 at Feb 25, 2008,
The thickest (lowest pitched) string is the E.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
E - largest string
A
D
G - smallest string, closest to the floor, as you put it.

G is considered the 1st string, same as a guitar, the 1st string is the small E string. Don't have any good suggestions for lessons, maybe check local music stores for books, videos and in person lessons.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Any beginner book will do. Get one of the corniest black and white books with cartoons and an old guy in the pictures. J.k

It should teach you enough to read tabs. Learn some tabs, then get a magazine subscription, they always have helpful lessons and awesome tabs to learn from.
There's one I know called Intermediate Electric Bass, it's quite good. I'd suggest avoiding the beginner's one; it's all common sense really (e.g. teaching you that when playing with 2 fingers you should be always going 1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) and tries to teach you how to find notes 'quickly', but I find teaching yourself is much more efficient for this unless you have a teacher.

The Intermediate book, however, is excellent. It covers (with tabbed AND scored examples which have also been recorded on CD) syncopation, the minor and major pentatonic scales, the blues scale, the major scale and how to construct it all over the fretboard (possibly one of the most useful lessons I've seen) and the minor scale (less in-depth than the one on building the major scale, but you'll discover that every minor scale has a major scale that has the same notes, e.g. C major and A minor, so essentially you already know it). There's probably more but I can't remember at the moment.

Good luck!
i just converted to bass recently, my gf got me the complete idiots guide to bass. which covers pretty much everything from your notes & chords to different styles and tecniques.
Quote by Maggot17
i just converted to bass recently, my gf got me the complete idiots guide to bass. which covers pretty much everything from your notes & chords to different styles and tecniques.

The book he mentioned is good and so is Bass for Dummies.
Ride it like ya stole it.
im in the same boat as you... i have been playing guitar since november and at a recent jam session with a friend i picked up his bass and loved it. so i really couldnt play much on it other than attempting to cross over the guitar stuff iv learned.... so my question is that because im thinking about making the change will anything ive learned actually carry over or will i be starting over? and where do i start? ive learned the major scale some chords power cords and am beggining pentatonics,