i know this has been done oh so many times but seriously any new ideas?
(i don't wanna hear scarified, anesthesia pulling teeth, black water park, or that damned muse song every1 thinks is so hard, i can already playem) annnd no wooten as much as i like him. (can be anything from funk to metal to classical)
a really difficult muse song? :O
Necrophagist is difficult stuff.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
I think much of Wooten's stuff that's difficult comes down to "tricks", like Classical Thump or Norwegian Wood that require either double thumping or playing two simultaneous parts.

Steve Bailey has some impossible multi-part bass lines, but again, playing the multiple parts at once is kinda a "trick."

As far as a proper straightforward song, the finger patterns of Chromatic Fantasy as arranged by Jaco Pastorius is just downright mind boggling. The speed isn't the end of the world (albeit tricky) - it's the progressions and hand positions.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I have a few:

Primus - Les is a funky funky man
Dragonforce - Hard to keep time on those root notes
Stu Hamm - Moonlight Sonata is hard to pull off without **** loads of compression
James Jamerson - The Father on funk has some pretty sick lines
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
yea i know watcha mean with the "tricks" i mostly put the "no wooten" thing there because i dont feel like learning the double thump techniques and stuff he uses and idk might get flamed for saying this but i dont really like pastorius, eh he was influential and all but i dont like his style, i will be sure to check out some more Bailey, i have always liked him since i saw the stuff hes done with wooten

annnd i have a 4 stringer sooo no dream theater or necrophagist
Last edited by bassface8892 at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by bassface8892
yea i know watcha mean with the "tricks" i mostly put the "no wooten" thing there because i dont feel like learning the double thump techniques and stuff he uses and idk might get flamed for saying this but i dont really like pastorius, eh he was influential and all but i dont like his style, i will be sure to check out some more Bailey, i have always liked him since i saw the stuff hes done with wooten

annnd i have a 4 stringer sooo no dream theater or necrophagist

Ytse Jam is a fun 4 string DT song. Check it out.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by thefitz

As far as a proper straightforward song, the finger patterns of Chromatic Fantasy as arranged by Jaco Pastorius is just downright mind boggling. The speed isn't the end of the world (albeit tricky) - it's the progressions and hand positions.

+1 I have been sitting out for a while and haven't learned anything new and I figured I would just grab the bull by the horns...bad idea. I'm a good player, not fantastic by any means but still. Jaco certainly does his best to make everyone else feel completely insufficient. If your looking for something challenging, Chromatic Fantasy is the way to go
Quote by ChemicalFire

Dragonforce - Hard to keep time on those root notes

too bad they can't play their **** live since it's sped up in the studio. Honestly hands down the most overrated band ever in my opinion.. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE live. Just look up through the fire and flames live, or pretty much all their stuff.. they don't play any of the solo's or anything thats on the recording lol. It's pretty much comical.

/rant

Anyyyyywaysss.. well there is no "hardest to play".. i mean, anyone could write something harder than anyone else has heard, but to you it would be easy because you wrote it..
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
And I guess it can't be that hard to keep time on those root notes. I'd theres alot of songs that is harder than dragonforce songs.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
If you'd like a challenge to play on 4 string

try this version of Tommy the Cat by Primus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuhyTSXt9L0

It's basically Tommy the Cat with the Awakening played as the bass solo

pretty damn hard in my humble opinion

gotta love Les' 4 string Carl Thompson though...
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Victor Wooten - Classic Thump.

Ive tried it for 3 months, And still can't get the Part when when he plays Triplets.
Portrait of Tracy, Donna Lee, and I've always had trouble with the first little riff on Come on, come over, but those are just the hardest I can play. The hardest I know of are probably yyz, and classical thump.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Whoever said Blackwater Park was hard? I find most Opeth lines terribly easy after Johan DeFarfalla left, and even when they had him, most of his low end isn't hard to recreate. But thats just me.

Jaco did indeed have some frightening fingering positions, and I nominate Teen Town for a hard song.

I do however find Aenima by Tool very hard, not because the riff or tempo or fingering is hard (quite easy actually), but dammit, those poly rhythms are hard to count out for me.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
a reletively hard song for a 4 string is DT's Another Won, i have a little trouble on the chorus and his solo breaks before the guitar solo jam me up all the time.
Quote by BoggaN
a really difficult muse song? :O
Necrophagist is difficult stuff.

+1 on necrphagist

i think if you wanna go REALLY over the top.
cover something classical like bach or vivaldi
i think the bass riff for frantic disembowelment might by a bit different to the guitar, well at least from what i saw of a cover of it. But if it is brilliant
alex webster is a great bassist
It's not the same as the guitar but it's still dammmnnnnn hard!
Watch the short pieces played by the bassist... I mean... although some parts are just... played over and over again it's damn fast!
I would say stuff from Pastorius.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by whack-a-bass
try out get up and jump by chilis

get up and jump is like the first song i learned, hell lot of blocking but after a short while you'll get in to it and it is not very hard to play. futhermore, i don't think that any of the rhcp's bass lines are difficult to play, flea is stoned 24/7 so he just makes something up. not that i don't like the chillies, i enjoy listening to them but the bass lines just aren't so complex that you would expect the hardest song to play would be
+1 to Chromatic Fantasy, I'm working my way through it at the moment, it's a tough one.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Id have to say Tommy the cat by Primus Everytime I try learning it I just get frustrated because it seems impossible to slap that fast. As for chromatic fantasy Id have to say donna lee is alot more difficult
A lot of stanley Clarke song are very hard to accomplish. Like, Vulcan Worlds and School Days(yeah the riffs are supposed to be a fundamental bass riff, but the solos are very hard)
Chromatic Fantasy by Jaco is the hardest I've attempted.
Take the Time by Dream Theater caused me a few problems getting the fingering down for the one lick even though it's not that fast.
Some of Stanley Clarke's stuff with Return to Forever is pretty difficult. The Romantic Warrior comes to mind, especially some of the quieter parts from "The Magician".