so i'll sum it all up for u folks.

I'm a poor ass college kid living in a dorm and i want a tube amp because my crate is getting boring, I've looked around but the guitar center near me blows, they have the same thing every time i go there and nothings really that great, sometimes they get a gem in but i never have the cash....anywhoo, i was thinking about this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

and an OD pedal, just probably a boss pedal, i play metal, anything from BLS to lamb of god and w/e i'm feeling. my budget is around $500 so if u guys got anything better let me know
i play drums and guitar :
Quote by guitarman216
meh. the valveking series is okay. i found them to be pretty lifeless and muddy.

Damn you have some nice gear.

But while I can't vouch for the valveking tone, I know it'll be really loud so may may want to go for a low wattage amp unless you play/plan on playing in a band or other musical group which needs that volume. if you need a low wattage one, Peavey Royal 8.
hey man, i too am a poor ass college kid living in a dorm. lucky for me i nabbed a used mesa f-50 for a decent price.

but anyway, 50 watts tube is going to be too much for a dorm. also are you going to be gigging or just using it for practice...

if you want tube tone check out the line of 5 watt tubes. black heart little giant, Epi valve junior, fender champ (i think its called), and i believe the palomino V8.

i havent played any of these, but it seems like these are the norm for being recommended here on UG. so others will have to fill you in on the tone and gain that they have.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The Vox AD30VT-XL is a good choice since you can control wattage and it's very felixible because it has eleven amps and effects all in one amp.
Jackson DXMG With SD Blackouts
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez GSR205EX
Acoustic B200H W/ Acoustic B410
Peavey Vypyr 30
If you're going to be playing in your dorm, I wouldn't get 50 watts of tube.

Go for Blackheart Little Giant, Epiphone Valve Junior, etc.. (5 watts and under of tube)
i want 50 watts because i jam with friends, one of which is a drummer, should've said that
i play drums and guitar :
well, then keep your crate at school to practice (which is what i do with my old behringer) and then keep the VK at home for when you practice. unless you also practice at school. then...just get the damn thing and hope you have cool neighbors.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Geartrigger
Damn you have some nice gear.

Yeah he does....and we know that it's all real, too.

We all found that out last night....

I still haven't recovered from the ownage.....
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
heh, you mean that Bogner thread? yea...i think it killed a small piece of all of us...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by guitarman216
thanks.

recently unbanned i see, nice work btw i just found that thread, literally minutes before it was dropped.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

I also thought that the VK was too, i dunno, peavey sounding to me, and the dist, while still could reach metal levels, just didn't *pop*...

I dunno how to explain it other than i didn't hear much of a jump from SS. (not worth it anyway IMO)
Obligatory Gear List
Ibanez S2170SE Prestige
Epi LP Std w/ SDs
Morley Bad Horsie
Mesa Stiletto ACE 2x12
EHX Small Clone
Line 6 DL4
ISP Decimator
Guild Acoustic
My Band
My Youtube Channel
Quote by dudetheman
Yeah he does....and we know that it's all real, too.

We all found that out last night....

I still haven't recovered from the ownage.....

hahaha. yeah, i was having a spot of fun. and now its business as usual.
Quote by guitarman216
hahaha. yeah, i was having a spot of fun. and now its business as usual.

Yeah...

funny how there's a stickied "Ultimate "Which Amp?" Thread" at the top of this forum, yet there's so many "which amp?" threads that get posted every day.....

then again, what would be in this forum if there weren't "which amp?" threads?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
50 watts tube is going to be too much for a dorm.

No, it really won't. I use my 50 watt tube amp in my dorm all the time. The key is that tiny knob labeled "volume".
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.