How can you even compare them? They're two completely different guitars.

One is 24.75" scale mahogany semi-hollowbody set neck with two regular humbuckers, an acoustic pickup and blending controls and a fixed tune-o-matic/stopbar bridge. There is no other guitar in the world with the same configuration.

The other is a 24" scale often alder or poplar solid body bolt-on with two single coils and a tremolo. As it so happens, there is no other guitar in the world with the same configuration.

I'd go for the Ultra-II, but only because I like semi-hollowbodies and I don't like the ultra-short scale of the Mustang. Generally I wouldn't buy either though.
Quote by bokuho
How can you even compare them? They're two completely different guitars.

One is 24.75" scale mahogany semi-hollowbody set neck with two regular humbuckers, an acoustic pickup and blending controls and a fixed tune-o-matic/stopbar bridge. There is no other guitar in the world with the same configuration.

The other is a 24" scale often alder or poplar solid body bolt-on with two single coils and a tremolo. As it so happens, there is no other guitar in the world with the same configuration.

I'd go for the Ultra-II, but only because I like semi-hollowbodies and I don't like the ultra-short scale of the Mustang. Generally I wouldn't buy either though.

I'd go for the LP for the same reasons, plus I like Hb's much better than SC's.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Then you won't want either. The Ultra and Ultra-II are for blues, jazz and country-rock, and the Mustang is for lighter rock or mid-70's style alt rock.

What you need is a more 'standard' guitar such as a regular Les Paul or a Strat. Depends if you want humbuckers or single coils.
'Oddball' guitars though like the Ultra-II and Mustang are not for you. They're for people who know exactly what tone they want, know the tone of those guitars, and know those guitars are exactly what they need. If you have to ask if they'd be good for you, then they won't be good for you.
Quote by OhioBuckeye
Mostly classic rock. Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, some 80's metal.

Yeah go with they Ultra II. Plus now they have the NanoMAG pickup, that provides an acoustic sound, but can also produce sweet blues and jazz tones. It is very resistant to the feedback and offers incredible dynamics in all positions.
Desperate Times, Desperate Measures.
Quote by n_tracyKC
mustang... because its awesome.

*fail* *facepalm*
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.