play it slowly and accurate first, then get a metronome and increase your speed gradually
listen to some slayer, then learn it. i reckon they play fast.
Gear:

Stinger Smx
Hondo H-1
Fender Classical
Custom Mini Les Paul
60 watt Mega Tube
GNX4 workstation
6 pack of Shiner Bock
Speed is a byproduct of accuracy. If you try to go about speed before you can do it accurately at that speed, you will sound like utter **** and never progress.
Quote by eXperiment63
Speed is a byproduct of accuracy.

Was it Vai who said that?
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Start slowwwwwwww.
Then slowly build up speed.
Use all fingers too.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
focus on learning to do something of more use first.
then in a few years you'll naturally be able to play quickly, and maybe make it sound good.
Keep your arm and wrist VERY loose, it may seem slower at first but the end result is ALOT faster.
Quote by johnny_tapia
Was it Vai who said that?

It was my old guitar teacher who said that. I've seen loads of people on here saying since I first posted it.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Accent the picking every group of notes so you know where you are.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Ichimaru
It was my old guitar teacher who said that. I've seen loads of people on here saying since I first posted it.

Yeah I have heard it a few times, but I was sure Vai famously said it in a video
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
i dont have a metronome but it seems like i only have 2 speedds... like super slow where its really boring and im able to get every note or playback speed... i can't like get in between and work my way up
Know what you're gonna play before you play it.
then just turn off your mind and just play.
This is how I play, but I have kind of a strange approach to playing.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Just turn up your distortion really loud, and move your hands as fast as you can (no need to synchronize them). We call that metal.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by Acquiescence
i dont have a metronome but it seems like i only have 2 speedds... like super slow where its really boring and im able to get every note or playback speed... i can't like get in between and work my way up

it seems you havent been playing long

but the other guys here are right, start slowly, and get as much accuracy as you can

over time you will progress and get much faster, the riffs you play will get faster as you play them more
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

MY STUFF
-Ibanez limited edition RG electric guitar
-Digitech RP250 multi effects
-Digitech DF-7Distortion Factory
-Marshall MG100 half stack
Quote by kidboy
it seems you havent been playing long

but the other guys here are right, start slowly, and get as much accuracy as you can

over time you will progress and get much faster, the riffs you play will get faster as you play them more

yeah i've been playing for 8 months about and i'm trying to learn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn4FegA9mgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z-hEyVQDRA
everone says start slow. it's probably a good idea but i never really did that. wish i did tho lol. but one really good piece of advice is move your hands as little as possible. cuz smaller motions are easier to pull off faster whereas if you were moving your fingers as fast as you could in huge motions your not gonna be able to go fast and not sound like ****. and as far as picking. the only way to get fast picking down is practice all day every day
Quote by Acquiescence

hmm 8 months, but yea what i did was learned all of the songs i could and they usually had the techniques that i needed to learn

it also might help to have sumbody teach you stuff
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

MY STUFF
-Ibanez limited edition RG electric guitar
-Digitech RP250 multi effects
-Digitech DF-7Distortion Factory
-Marshall MG100 half stack
Quote by Acquiescence

There's the issue...

It's called, "Shooting over your skis." Start with something more reasonable for your experience. The other posters are right, start slow and be accurate, speed will come in time.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
There's the issue...

It's called, "Shooting over your skis." Start with something more reasonable for your experience. The other posters are right, start slow and be accurate, speed will come in time.

eh the last song i learned was stockholm syndrome by muse... what song should i learn now?
A big part of playing fast is what people are saying, which is to start slowly and accurately and gradually build up speed.

Here's some other ideas:

Work on alternate picking! Try this pattern, going from the low to high e and back:

1234 - 2341 - 3412 - 4123 - 1234 - 2341, then reverse. The numbers stand for the finger used and the fret played.

Work on legato!

This seems counter-intuitive, but if you watch a guy like Paul Gilbert in Scarified, his insane alt-picking licks are combined with legato to be even faster.

This one is so fun after you get good at it. I find myself tossing in legato licks all the time in just about every genre I play just because it's fun!

Try hammering on 1-3-5 on each string, up and down the fretboard and back again and build up strength. Eventually make it more complex. And above all, USE YOUR PINKEY!

One thing I'd warn against is just learning licks without any idea of the scale you're taking them from. It's much, much easier to learn new licks if you know your scales. Taking extra time early on to learn theory will help you a lot down the road.

Ah, and finally: Watch videos of artists you want to emulate. It helps a bit to listen to songs, but watching videos will help you SO much when it comes to using the proper fingerings, tempo, emotion, yada yada. I might just be a visual learner so take this with a grain of salt, but once I starting watching G3, Vai, Johnson, Petrucci, and Satch vids I felt more comfortable with playing by ear. I had built up a big library of images of where on the fretboard these guys were playing and what sounds they were making.

Oh, and I may have made this seem easy in the post: it isn't. It takes just about daily practice and dedication, as well as a lot of time, to get good. I think it'll go faster if you combine learning licks/songs with some boring exercises and theory.

Some youtube stuff that helped me a lot:

Satriani gives a few tips. These really helped me back in the day.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yCbS1BWrTcs

More Satch: giving a lesson on modes.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZTQolymKmDA
Last edited by bullets34 at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by handlerb
Just turn up your distortion really loud, and move your hands as fast as you can (no need to synchronize them). We call that metal.

sigged!

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Like everyone says start slow, stay loose, make sure you fan the fingers of your pick hand, and use all your fingers on your fret hand (that means your pinky too!).
Also don't be a lowrider when standing up, it makes it impossible to do any real soloing.
Like others have said if you practice scales cleanly, speed tends to build up eventually.Also, one thing that helped me a ton was Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock. That had a ton of good drills that with practice really helped my speed particularly...

___D__U___D__U__D___U__D
E --------------------12----------------
B -12---13---15---------15---13---12 Repeat
G ----------------------------------------

It's simple looking but it can do wonders to alternate picking coordination.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
start slow

+10000000000^10000000000000000
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by El Cumanés
Accent the picking every group of notes so you know where you are.

+1. Really really good advice.