Page 1 of 2
After hearing the Windsor in action, I know it's the amp for me.

However, I don't know if it's the amp for my house

I live in a 3 bedroom trailer with a room built on. It's by no means a mansion.

I also live with my grandpa, who doesn't mind my little Champ rippin' up the house....

....but I don't know what he would say if I cranked up a stack.

I would get the combo, but I'm in a band and we're starting to get some shows lined up. I don't think 20W could hold down some of the shows we'll be playing.

Damn I wish they made a 40 or 50W one.

Isn't there something you can get for a tube amp to lower the wattage when you need to? I can't remember the name of it, but they have been mentioned around here before.

What are they called, and what would be a good one for me?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by d_byrne23
Attenuator is what you need

ATTENUATOR!

I had it on the tip of my tongue, but I just couldn't think of it!

If they're anything like every other piece of equipment for guitar, there's good ones and bad ones....am I right?

Recommend me a good one please!

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by d_byrne23
Attenuator is what you need

Yep, they're a bit pricey though. Also from what I've heard about the Windsor studio its not worth it at this point. A lot of glitches that need to be worked out.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by spiff389
use the windsor for gigs and your champ for home practice

I could do this...

but I was planning on retiring the Champ to a life in the closet with a cover on it once I got a new amp.

It's an old amp, and I've given it too much abuse already. (hooking it up to high gain pedals, leaving it at friend's houses who know nothing about amps and want to plug microphones into it, etc) If it ever died on me, I'd probably cry like a little girl.

Plus, God knows what it could be worth in about 30 more years.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by dudetheman
I could do this...

but I was planning on retiring the Champ to a life in the closet with a cover on it once I got a new amp.

It's an old amp, and I've given it too much abuse already. (hooking it up to high gain pedals, leaving it at friend's houses who know nothing about amps and want to plug microphones into it, etc) If it ever died on me, I'd probably cry like a little girl.

Plus, God knows what it could be worth in about 30 more years.

Not sure if it'd be worth a whole lot. It'll be worth maybe a bit more than it is today, but it won't become super valuable.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
At most, the Champion would probably do with a tube change...

The Windsor is definitely loud.

The trailer may not survive.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael

The trailer may not survive.

That's what I was fearing.....

I'm thinking attenuator.

Which attenuator would be best?

I was looking at the THD one, but it's really pricey.

The one linked to me earlier in the thread is nice looking.

Could an attenuator damage my amp in any way?

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by dudetheman
That's what I was fearing.....

I'm thinking attenuator.

Which attenuator would be best?

I was looking at the THD one, but it's really pricey.

The one linked to me earlier in the thread is nice looking.

Yes, it will launch a nuclear missle.

No sir, no worries, its safe.

But your trailer may be in rough shape after...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
the weber suggested to you earlier will be good. It won't damage your amp, the tone doesn't sound the same as if it were cranked, but it is close in my experience.
The weber is one of the best attenuators on the market, and also one of the more affordable ones.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Also, the Windsor sounds pretty good at low volumes, good enough for practising at least.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^Plus if you're doing metal type stuff that's almost all preamp gain so you wouldn't need to turn it up and push the power tubes anyway. I say get the windsor and see if you like it's sound at lower volumes. If you don't then then get the MASS. I have one and I must say it totally blew me away. You lose a little bit of treble though since the amp isn't as loud. You also don't get any speaker break up, but all in all they work amazing and save your hearing.

I have clips on my profile if you want to hear. My amp is cranked to the point of waking the neighbors. The attenuator has it quiet enough so it won't wake someone in the next room.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Also, you don't need the tone to be THE BEST when your practising at home, so the Windsor might not sound THE BEST at home, but it will sound good enough.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Wait!

Riffhog has played/heard the combo. According to him it's NOTHING LIKE THE HEAD and REALLY BAD!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Wait!

Riffhog has played/heard the combo. According to him it's NOTHING LIKE THE HEAD and REALLY BAD!

Yeah, that's what I've heard.

Plus that Gearwire review of the combo was enough to steer me clear of it!

I'll be playing mostly hard classic rock-ish stuff, so I figured I would just boost the preamp volume and control the actual volume with the Master volume anyways.

I was still kind of worried about it being too loud though. I'll probably buy the amp, then decide if I need an attenuator or not.

thanks everyone!

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by Gabel
Wait!

Ah! I forgot that they made the head and combo completely differently. Ignore my previous post.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
peavey windsor studio is only 15 watts but is all tube and pretty loud. It has a built in attenuator. Id try it out if i was you. My friend recomended it to me before i got my b52 and he said it definitely sounded loud enough to play over drums.
NEW GEAR:
Ibanez RG7420
Schecter CSH-1 Semi Hollowbody- W/ Duncans
Roland Microcube
B52 AT112 60 watt
Monster Cables

STOLEN:
Deluxe Double Fat Strat- Pewter
Gibson SG- w/ SD Invader
Line 6 Flextone II w/floorboard
Quote by mrdeuce
peavey windsor studio is only 15 watts but is all tube and pretty loud. It has a built in attenuator. Id try it out if i was you. My friend recomended it to me before i got my b52 and he said it definitely sounded loud enough to play over drums.

wait...so they're out?
Why arent there any youtube videos?!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I heard they haven't been all that great. Believe me, I've been waiting for them to come out. Still anxious to see more testing and clips, but from what I've heard, I'm a bit disappointed.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
why aren't the windsor head and combo made the same??? i'm going to figure out what's different and fix it.

weber attenuator... is okay. BUT it still got the downside. you lose tone for a certain extent. iono if it's negligible for you, but i don't use my weber attenuator at home. my BJ at low volume is better than the BJ higher volume with my attenuator.

it kills the tubes when u crank it everyday too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
theres something on ebay i found wich is basicly a volume knob and i think the idea is it goes pre-power amp in the fx loop so lets you crank the master volume and use it as the volums instead. have a look for peavey volume box or something- within the last 30mins i have just found a cheap windsor which I WANT and have similar concerns
Quote by ECistheBest
why aren't the windsor head and combo made the same??? i'm going to figure out what's different and fix it.

weber attenuator... is okay. BUT it still got the downside. you lose tone for a certain extent. iono if it's negligible for you, but i don't use my weber attenuator at home. my BJ at low volume is better than the BJ higher volume with my attenuator.

it kills the tubes when u crank it everyday too.

As soon as you figure out and fix it... Let me know...

Quote by kool98769
Quote by dudetheman
Yes, it will launch a nuclear missle.

Sigged.

Anyway, TS, I think you're better off buying the Windsor, pulling two power tubes, and just being very light on the volume and gain knobs at home.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Sigged.

Anyway, TS, I think you're better off buying the Windsor, pulling two power tubes, and just being very light on the volume and gain knobs at home.

Especially that one.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
you are 640 dollars away from your windsor?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Sigged.

You sigged me!

So you're saying that I can just pull two power tubes and that will let me achieve some nice breakup at a volume that won't demolish my home?

Quote by sirlimecat
you are 640 dollars away from your windsor?

Not really.

I currently only have 40 dollars, yes, but I will be getting a pretty large amount of money soon, which will bump me up into buying range.

I'm also planning on using eBay to get the head and then getting an Avatar 2 by 12.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by dudetheman
Yeah, that's what I've heard.

Plus that Gearwire review of the combo was enough to steer me clear of it!

Review? I would like to hear it!

Quote by fleh
theres something on ebay i found wich is basicly a volume knob and i think the idea is it goes pre-power amp in the fx loop so lets you crank the master volume and use it as the volums instead. have a look for peavey volume box or something- within the last 30mins i have just found a cheap windsor which I WANT and have similar concerns

It's useless, it's just like a master volume...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Review? I would like to hear it!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-37204323112577660&q=Peavey+Windsor+Combo&total=1&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

WARNING: not for the faint of heart. There's some pretty nasty tone on that video...

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by dudetheman
You sigged me!

So you're saying that I can just pull two power tubes and that will let me achieve some nice breakup at a volume that won't demolish my home?

Yes I did, and no I'm not.

Well, I kind of am. I believe that pulling either the inner two or outter two power tubes will cut your wattage in half. Which isn't cutting your volume in half, but will help make it a little less destructive. Then, you'll have a spare set of power tubes should you drop the amp off a cliff.

Besides, it has both volume and gain knobs. Keep one low, and the other high, and you'll get breakup.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Yes I did, and no I'm not.

Well, I kind of am. I believe that pulling either the inner two or outter two power tubes will cut your wattage in half. Which isn't cutting your volume in half, but will help make it a little less destructive. Then, you'll have a spare set of power tubes should you drop the amp off a cliff.

Besides, it has both volume and gain knobs. Keep one low, and the other high, and you'll get breakup.

Well, if it'll help me get breakup at a lower volume, then that's good.

I already knew I would be cutting down the master volume, boosting the gain, and boosting the preamp volume so I would get breakup earlier.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Don't forget, this is one of the amps that has their "Texture" knob (Valveking line is the other one).

Turning the knob all the way to the left (counterclockwise) changes the amp to Class A, effectively cutting the power by about 60%. It allows the tubes to break up earlier. All the way to the right (clockwise) makes the amp a Class A/B, providing more headroom before tube breakup. Nice thing is you can either make it Class A or Class A/B or anywhere in-between.
Quote by dudetheman
Well, if it'll help me get breakup at a lower volume, then that's good.

I already knew I would be cutting down the master volume, boosting the gain, and boosting the preamp volume so I would get breakup earlier.

Pulling tubes is more to lower a hideously high wattage amp, or to save tubes, or to cook the power tubes a little more at non-lethal volumes. It won't help your practice tone, but it will be nice once you gig it.

It's worth mentioning that practice tone shouldn't be a problem. The Windsor will still sound nice at low volume, and the Champ's always there.
^i don't understand the texture knob at all. i have to try it, but i doubt it's worth that much like you say. class A is less efficient than class AB. but the two classes at the same output power, class A should sound louder. i think.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Pulling tubes is more to lower a hideously high wattage amp, or to save tubes, or to cook the power tubes a little more at non-lethal volumes. It won't help your practice tone, but it will be nice once you gig it.

It's worth mentioning that practice tone shouldn't be a problem. The Windsor will still sound nice at low volume, and the Champ's always there.

Yeah, I'll probably have to pull the tubes due to the low wattage handling Avatar 212.

What speakers should I get for my 212? I was thinking either Vintage 30s or Hellatone 60s.

Opinions on this?

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by ECistheBest
warehouse speakers british leads.

Que?

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Page 1 of 2