K, so, here's the deal. I'm itching to get some decent recorded tones now I have a decent amp, rather than using direct input methods I've used before.

However, being a college student with no job, money is the problem.

I bought a cheap-ass Shure mic a sound-savvy friend of mine recommended; now my only problem is that my sound card is epic failure. As you all know, interfaces are the far superior option, so I have been considering the Toneport UX1. My questions to you are thus:

Are Tone ports any good for micing up an amp, or are they better for direct input? Does the USB connection cause lag problems? Using the headphone port, will I be able to hear myself playing over the whole mix; or just me... Or what? Can someone point me to some sound clips of a mic'd amp using a toneport??? HALP!!!

For that matter, do I NEED a toneport? Are there any other USB interfaces I can get for cheap, considering I'm not too fussed about all the modelling stuff?

Thanks
Last edited by Vermintide at Feb 25, 2008,
the toneport will give you no lag, thats what its made for. All you have to do is open the gearbox program, and put it on bypass mode.
Well, there are a ton of other USB interfaces on the market which would be suitable for your needs. What is the maximum you would like to spend at the minute ?
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
Well, there are a ton of other USB interfaces on the market which would be suitable for your needs. What is the maximum you would like to spend at the minute ?

I'm thinking a mox ar around £100, but that's an EXTREME stretch for me. Probably around £60-80.

I've been doing some more research and have come across the E-MU 0202. It seems to fit my needs perfectly; is it any good?
I've ner tried the E-MU but I have used a toneport for a couple of years now. Like people have said, the toneport is made to get rid of any latency. If you think of the toneport as a soundcard then the headphones socket is just output for all sound coming out of your computer. So if you plug your headphones in you will hear everything you want to hear. I've never recorded an amp through my toneport but you can get some awesome sounds with it just being a D.I box for your computer and using programs like Guitar Rig and Amplitube.

Hears a clip of a song I wrote but the guitars were all done with amplitube 2 an not with an amp...

http://www.esnips.com/doc/e1c72b33-a472-4fef-91fa-ada818bf9402/new_instrumental-01

hope this helps you in some way!
Quote by face_the_fear
I've ner tried the E-MU but I have used a toneport for a couple of years now. Like people have said, the toneport is made to get rid of any latency. If you think of the toneport as a soundcard then the headphones socket is just output for all sound coming out of your computer. So if you plug your headphones in you will hear everything you want to hear. I've never recorded an amp through my toneport but you can get some awesome sounds with it just being a D.I box for your computer and using programs like Guitar Rig and Amplitube.

Hears a clip of a song I wrote but the guitars were all done with amplitube 2 an not with an amp...

http://www.esnips.com/doc/e1c72b33-a472-4fef-91fa-ada818bf9402/new_instrumental-01

hope this helps you in some way!

what did you use for the drums?
I used the addictive drums demo. It doesn't have any toms and only has one sample of everything else but its very versatile and easy to use!
The EMU would fit for your needs, it's really down to personal choice. If you want to use the computer as an amp as well, then you might be best going with the Toneport because it's designed for that, and has the Gearbox software.
Indeed, I think I'll probaly go for the E-MU. The toneport seems rather gimmicky; its entire funtionality is geared towards the modelling, which is what I want to move away from. The whole reason I'm asking is because I'd like to try micing up instead ofusing DI from my Zoom. I want a more proffesional sound.

The E-MU is cheaper, has proper pre-amps and can use programs like amplitube anyway. The Line 6 apparently restricts you to using their software, too, which only sems bad news to me.

Thanks for the help, I'm thinking I understand much better now. Any further comments always welcome
Last edited by Vermintide at Feb 27, 2008,
Hehe, exactly the line of thinking I go down with Line 6 gear.