Anyone have any experience with the head version? basically im just going to use it for metal, detuned metal. I can get one used for an insane price with new JJ tubes. Any pro's/cons? thanks guys
Quote by d_byrne23
Anyone have any experience with the head version? basically im just going to use it for metal, detuned metal. I can get one used for an insane price with new JJ tubes. Any pro's/cons? thanks guys

Some say it's muddy, but if you EQ it right it's not.

I played one at a local music store and it was sweet. I shook the guitars on the wall!
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I have the Peavey XXX head running through a Peavey 6506II cab and just thats a pretty beastly tone. In my band DYSTROPHY, I use the XXX and my other guitarist uses a Peavey 5150 and it gets an awesome contrast of sounds. People like the 5150 for the high mid sound and thick distortion it provides, but that always sounded weak to me. The XXX has a clean, crunch, and ultra channels. The cleans pretty standard, high, mid, low, vol. The crunch provides more of a bluesy kind of sound with low to medium gain and a full distortion, almost old school metal, overdriven sound when the gain is cranked. Its a very thick ballsy sound. The ultra channel is a super thick, heavy, distorted sound that sounds amazing with downtuned guitars and even better with an EQ through it. I use a MXR pedal through it and its the best distorted sound I've heard through a tube head. Another cool feature most older heads dont offer is the option of switching from a 16ohm to an 8ohm to a 4 ohm output. It also has a direct effects line in with volume levels specific to the effects and a high, mid, and low dampening switch. Overall its a very versitile head, I wouldn't trade it. If the 5150 or 6505 sounds a little thin and weak to you, definitely consider the XXX.

You can hear samples of the XXX distortion at www.myspace.com/dystrophy1
Very impressed with the tone in most clips Ive heard, yours especially, I am well aware its very EQ sensitive but it sounds like with some tweaking itll get me the tone I want
What I found from the XXX against the 6505/5150 is that its voiced brighter, it gets high gain just fine but its a brighter kind of gain than the 6505/5150. I'd say play both and see what sounds better to you.
thanks. those recordings are actually without the EQ on it. when we recorded them the EP added extra noise so we scrapped it and i only use it live. so what you hear is just the XXX
sounds alright but the palm mutes arent tight enough so that you can hear your mean galloping >.<. basically mud -_-. which is what i experienced when i played it no matter how i EQ'd it.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!