I was thinking of getting a Seymour Duncan SH-5 (Custom) on the bridge, and a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck position, replacing my stock "Duncan Designed" pickups. I would go for Bareknuckle Pickups (I heard good stuff about em), but I dont live in the UK.

I run my guitar thru a Laney LC50 Tuba Amp and a Jekyll/Hyde Distortion Pedal. I mainly play a mix of metal (mainly Metallica), hard rock (GnR, Ozzy, etc), and Alternative Rock (Soungarden, Alice in Chains, Rage, Radiohead, RHCP) even some clean stuff, so I want a decent clean sound.

Would this combo do well for what I'm looking for. I would get a JB/Jazz combo but I heard that combo is overrated and the JB is thin. Dimarzio breeds look interesting too.

what do you guys think?
My Gear:

Schecter Gryphon Ruby Red

Dunlop Original Crybaby
Jekyll and Hyde Ultimate Overdrive

Laney LC50
Vox AD15VT Valvetronix

My Youtube Channel, check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnake77
Last edited by SSnake77 at Feb 25, 2008,
Really man? does it really matter what others think? if you like the combo, then do it. experiment like a musician, if it sucks, sell the pickups and try again.

the only pointer i'll give is that, in my opinion, you need a good clean sound before you concern yourself with anything involving gain and/or distortion. Just working with them together as you figure it out would give you more range in your tone, ya know?

Also, fool around with pickup height (small transitions at a time), just remember that the higher the pickup, the louder, more trebly, less broad the tone will be and the lower you'll get a lower volume, more bass and more broad tone. Also, if you raise them to much, you run the risk of the pickups actually pulling the strings out of tune and that's just ****in' annoying. A little up on one side, a little down on the other can really make you have a tone you will dig. Be a scientist.

good luck.
Enter something refreshingly witty here:
Last edited by GodbowstoMath at Feb 25, 2008,
My problem is I can't really "try out" pickups like I can a guitar, pedal, or amplifier.

Also, if someone has some good soundclips of these pickups (not form the Seymour Duncan site, those aren't a GREAT reference since their like 2 second clips of a lick.)
My Gear:

Schecter Gryphon Ruby Red

Dunlop Original Crybaby
Jekyll and Hyde Ultimate Overdrive

Laney LC50
Vox AD15VT Valvetronix

My Youtube Channel, check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnake77
i have a SD Custom SH-5 in the bridge of my Les Paul, and it's incredible. i had one in the bridge of my SG Faded, but have since replaced those pickups with PRS Dragon II's.