ok so im starting a thread for a amp im building out of 2 bose speakers, a pair of rca speakers, and maby the cd and radio part of it if i can. the boses have a nice bass vintage sound and the rca's have very nice clear sound i'll need my dads permission and help with this project becuase the speakers and tools are his but thats fine. he works with car stereos so he will be a help. pics coming as soon as i figue out to upload them from my phone or digcamea probbaly the camrea but w/e with that. i'll take any comments, opionions and suggestions and i need some help with this it's my first amp build
Quote by jakewynnrocks
marshall has half stacks for only 600, but i dont know if theyre any good. seems like a good deal....
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh204/jrad3225/?action=view&current=bose.jpg

this first one is the bose and i have 2 of them
they are 80's speakers and are louder them most amps
there are four 2 inch speaker and two 8 inch speakers

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh204/jrad3225/?action=view&current=bose.jpg

these ones are newer and i have the same amount of speakers from them
Quote by jakewynnrocks
marshall has half stacks for only 600, but i dont know if theyre any good. seems like a good deal....
Last edited by Leadhead3225 at Feb 26, 2008,
You realize that if you play a guitar through stereo speakers, the speaker will blow at much lower wattages than they're rated for right?
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
what are you using as the amp? speakers don't amplify the guitar's signal. its sounds like you are building a speaker cabinet.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
yes it's a cab and what are you talking about with the wattages??? it sounds like there isn't enough power but i have yet 2 take about either set of speekers but im sure there will be problems. my dad is very good with circuits but im betting we will run into about 4 dozen problems. but hey it's better then selling them becuase they are just sitting in the garage with no use and i need a new project
Quote by jakewynnrocks
It's not the wattages that are the problem, it's that hifi speakers make guitars sound like crap...

And if you're just building a cab, you'll need something to power it... What amp are you going to use?

And regardless of what amp you're going to use, (back to the first point..), it'll sound like crap through stereo speakers.
What I was saying that if you run a guitar through those speakers at even a moderate volume, the WILL BREAK. This is a bad idea. Don't do it.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Quote by PimpedOutSquier
What I was saying that if you run a guitar through those speakers at even a moderate volume, the WILL BREAK. This is a bad idea. Don't do it.

the what will break and why do you think this?
Quote by jakewynnrocks
Normal HiFi speakers are not designed to reproduce the frequencies that a guitar emits. The speaker cones will rip.
Please answer this:What amp are you hooking the speaker cab up to? Because a guitars line level signal will not be audible thru the speakers unless you are using a power amplifier.

-Mick.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
As people have said, if you use hi-fi speakers for playing unmastered guitar out of, you will likely overheat the voice-coils and permanently damage the speaker. When the signal being fed to a guitar speaker gets too strong (such as turning the amp up and a hard-picked note), the speaker is designed to have the voice coil leave the magnet - this will add in some soft-clipping, while it also serves to protect the speaker. Hi-fi speakers do not do this - you'll just heat the voice coil up and do damage to it.
If they are decent speakers, you may as well make a hi-fi speaker set out of them and use them that way - you'll gain some cabinet building techniques and won't waste your time/money.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
the_random_hero makes sense here. He is wise. Follow his instructions, young Jedi.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
ok well these speakers i have are from the 80's if that makes any diffence and i am going for a cab. but as well could they be made into moniters or something??? this is my first amp build and im only 13 so all help is good and padiwan is more like it

and im starting the project this weekend with my dad
he is doing most of the wiring and he has already
told me about some problems with this build
so stay with me and help me out ok? so stay close
Quote by jakewynnrocks
Last edited by Leadhead3225 at Feb 26, 2008,