ok so I've been told that the Crate Polamino(sp) v16 or something meets my needs perfectly. However, when I go to the Crate Amps website, I cant find any Polamino amps. However I did find this: http://www.crateamps.com/products/pindex.php?prodID=2

Is it a Polomino? If not, is it any good/ as good as a Polomino?

It's priced at $459.99, at my favorate local guitar store, so is it worth it? i might get it....
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
Yeah, the Palomino has been discontinued as far as I know. The V series is the closest thing to them. I'm not sure how the prices compare, though.
Last edited by -Collapse- at Feb 25, 2008,
From what I've heard, the V series is basically the same thing, even better according to some.
Cool. I guess I'll have to play it, and find out what it's really like.

Thanks for the help though guys!

Quote by slidething31
Palomino. That is how it is spelled.

Anyways, the Palominos were never on the Crate website whenever I checked, but they are still sold at most major stores. The black V series are supposedly more American voiced compared to the british sounding Palominos.
The Palomino isn't discontinued. They just don't have them on the website because Palomino is sort of it's own company, but it's owned by Crate. Go to GC's website and type in Palomino, you'll find them there.

The other amp you are talking about is a Crate V-Series. I actually own a V1512, but it's discontinued now. It has been replaced with the V18, the one you just posted. The Palomino and V-Series look a little different, but there barely is any difference. The V-Series does have slightly more gain and it's a little more modern voiced, but that's about it. You can't go wrong with either of them. The one I have is made in the USA, the new ones are made in China, and Palominos are made in Vietnam. If you want to buy used, you can find an older Palomino that is USA made. The newer Vietnam made ones still sound great, I used to own a V16 myself.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Yeah, none of the guitar stores down here sell Palomino's, so I was looking at the V18. I havn't played it yet, but I love the leather-ness(is that even a word?) of it....so sexy.

How do you think it compares to say a Fender Blues Junior, tone wise?
Quote by slidething31
Quote by biohazardist
Yeah, none of the guitar stores down here sell Palomino's, so I was looking at the V18. I havn't played it yet, but I love the leather-ness(is that even a word?) of it....so sexy.

How do you think it compares to say a Fender Blues Junior, tone wise?

The V18 has a gain knob, the Fender Blues Junior doesn't. The BJ gets overdriven naturally as you crank the amp. Most people use an OD with it so they don't have to turn it up super loud to get some decent overdrive out of the thing. It does blues and classic rock great. The V18 doesn't have a boost button like the Palominos, though. My amp, the older V1512, does have a boost button which is nice to boost your mids and bass. That's the other difference. Like I said before, the V18 will sound a little more modern voiced compared to the Palomino and BJ.

And yes, the V-Series amps do look very sexy in person. The grill cloth on mine is all black and it looks like it has sparkles all over it.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
The Blues Jr does have a master and a gain. It's the Pro Jr that only has a single volume control. The difference between the two amps is really a matter of taste. For the difference in price, I'd stick with the Crate/Palo over the Fender today.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Do you guys think the V18 will get a nice bluesy, Stevie Ray Vaughn type tone?
Quote by slidething31