Page 1 of 3
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
What is your Favorite style of Blues and/or Jazz. Do you like the standard delta, Chicago, 12 bar style, blues rock, garage style, fusion, big band, or whatever? I know that if you like blues in general you like more than one style, but everyone has to have a favorite (that is not confined to a specific musician or band).
Dimebag22
☮ ♥ ♫
505 IQ
I play anything really. Mostly Texas blues though.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
emr_steelmech
mmmm....broodwich
338 IQ
ya know, I really cant pick one, they each have their own things that draw me to them, its hard to compare.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Personally, My favorite to listen to is heavy riff based stuff. Like John Lee Hooker, or The Black Keys style blues rock, and some Chicago style stuff like Smokestack Lightning, or Spoonful.
gopherthegreat
592 IQ
delta/country blues

the songwriting and slide playing is awesome and i like acoustic guitars a lot more than electric

Jack my swag
Last edited by gopherthegreat at Feb 26, 2008,
GD_GC
Master of the Blues Duels
2,005 IQ
I'm into British blues right now more than anything else. Early Fleetwood Mac, Bluesbreakers, Clapton, etc. That's what's doing it for me right now, it is good stuff
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
Quote by GD_GC
I'm into British blues right now more than anything else. Early Fleetwood Mac, Bluesbreakers, Clapton, etc. That's what's doing it for me right now, it is good stuff

seconded

British stuff, and 50's/60's Chicago

and Folk Blues
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
Quote by imgooley
^folk blues like Dylan?

Dylan is more straight folk or Folk Rock

Davy Graham is the shit

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E45y_PHrKQ8

recognize the lyrics?
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Nick_
as I sd to my
38 IQ
Mingus.

It's a distinct style to my ears.
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by Carswell98
Dylan is more straight folk or Folk Rock

Davy Graham is the shit

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E45y_PHrKQ8

recognize the lyrics?

Rock Me Baby, only done by a white guy who isn't EC.

And I would debate the Dylan thing, mainly using the self title album as evidence, but then again most rock is just blues to me.
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
Quote by imgooley
Rock Me Baby, only done by a white guy who isn't EC.

yes,
I really love Graham's style of playing the guitar, he is a real innovator in the realm of folk guitar

And I would debate the Dylan thing, mainly using the self title album as evidence, but then again most rock is just blues to me.

yeah, that particular album is quite bluesy, I just would tend to call most of Dylan's stuff rock rather than blues, but yes, the two are hopelessly entwined, it's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by GD_GC

I was diggin deep into that like last month, mainly The Cream, more Zeppelin than usual, and a little bit of the Jeff Beck Group (that does not mean that I have discarded the style, just means that my revolving cycle of music has shifted.)

I can't get enough of John Lee styled stuff lately though.

@Carswell- That is a well made point in the last sentence, but I would take it a bit further and just call them the same thing, only different.
TheDev01dOne
Hard Time Killin' Floor
1,081 IQ
I think my favourite is anything with open slide guitar and good blues harp. They just go sooo well together. My favourite incarnation of this is Collard Green and Gravy (Yes I do love them and post them whenever I get a chance! BUY THEIR NEW ALBUM!! It' amazing)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vDl5GIB3QmE <==WATCH ME!

Apart from that though I still just love standard 12bar shuffles, it's fun mixing and matching and ad-libbing lyrics to and just jamming on.

Kinda been straying away from the 'guitar hero' stuff lately (Clapton, Gary Moore, Jeff Beck etc.) for more rounded sounds instead of 8minute guitar solos in every song.
urik
UG Freak
4,011 IQ
Mmmh I don't really know what kind they are. I think that rock-blues.
Anyway, I like these styles:
SRV
Buddy Guy
Gary Moore
B.B King
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
My favourite jazz styles are bebop, hard bop, fusion and free jazz. Don't know about blues...
jimmybob24
262 IQ
love delta blues, but have a big soft spot for garage type blues ala white stripes black keys because hearing those guys made me explore older blues and really get into it.
muchojackdaniel
23 IQ
im a blues rock listener for sure. ive really been diggin on a live record of hendrix/band of gypsies thats been spinning on my turntable for quite some time now.
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
Delta and Chicago for me! But I also hold Piedmont, "garage" and bands from the British blues boom in high regard.
Last edited by ze monsta at Mar 28, 2008,
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
I've been listening to a lot of bebop recently, namely Monk. Monk is my favorite jazz artist ever. I really need to get some more bebop
Nick_
as I sd to my
38 IQ
a fan of brother Thelonius? Wonderful. You won't find anyone that quite gets the Monk sense of rhythm but Steve Lacy has some really cool arrangements of his songs on record.

Pick up with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall if you haven't already
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Dug From The Depths of obscurity!!!!!

Right now I am getting some electro delta blues in my life a la RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough.
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
I've been into really energetic Blues-Rock lately
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by Carswell98
I've been into really energetic Blues-Rock lately

Like SRV style? or Mooney Suzuki style?

Or your own personal band.... The Tragically Hip?
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
Quote by imgooley
Like SRV style? or Mooney Suzuki style?

Or your own personal band.... The Tragically Hip?

all of the above

plus Zeppelin and the Black keys, Ben Harper, Joe Bonamassa etc...
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by Carswell98
all of the above

plus Zeppelin and the Black keys, Ben Harper, Joe Bonamassa etc...

I would think that Ben Harper has a more R&B/Roots feel to him than rock.
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
I've been listening to a load of Piedmont bluesmen, Blind Blake, Blind Boy Fuller and Blind Willie McTell. trying to learn/write some ragtime pieces, but I usually fall apart after an hour or two.
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
Quote by imgooley
I would think that Ben Harper has a more R&B/Roots feel to him than rock.

yeah, depends what album really, his newest one is very much rock, but his older stuff is very Bluesy/Folky/R&b ish type music
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Beakwithteeth
Wild and Reckless Hobo
671 IQ
Quote by ze monsta
I've been listening to a load of Piedmont bluesmen, Blind Blake, Blind Boy Fuller and Blind Willie McTell. trying to learn/write some ragtime pieces, but I usually fall apart after an hour or two.

Ragtime guitar=amazingly awesome!

I like the type of blues where it tows the line with R&B and soul and stuff. Just really groovy, funky style.I would probably place dealta/folk blues as my favorite though.
Jimmy94
GET ON THE SNAKE
971 IQ
Quote by ze monsta

have you ever listened to mississippi john hurt?

I also prefer raw acoustic blues. Delta blues, Piedmont Blues, folk blues... it speaks to me for whatever reason.

For jazz I have to go with cool jazz and also plenty of be-bop. Grant Green, Joe Pass, Coletrane, Jim Hall... stuff like that.
Jimmy94
GET ON THE SNAKE
971 IQ
and of course John Lee Hooker who is probably my favorite bluesman.

one night I was laying down, I over hear mama and papa talk
they thought I was asleep but I wasn't
I heard papa tell mama, let that boy boogie woogie!
because it's in him and it sho got to come out
diminishedtobme
Banned
278 IQ
Fusion and Bebob for Jazz.
I don't know much Blues, but I like SRV and Johnny Winter.
Mr.Cuddles
1,324 IQ
texas or blues rock, would be my favorite...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
Quote by imgooley
I am currently experimenting with slide metal

Which was my idea.

Im still playing knife...Nothing unusual.

Quote by Jimmy94
have you ever listened to mississippi john hurt?

All the time.
Jackal58
Pit Daddy
2,486 IQ
Texas Bues!!!!!
Johnny Winter, SRV, Johhny Copeland, Albert Collins and the like. Wail on the axe. That's what it was built for.
Jazz would be all over the place. From George Benson to Thelonius Monk. But Billie Holliday rips my guts out.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.