My buddy/rhythm guitarist has a Epi LP100 he bought in Italy, and an Ibanez Artcore AG95. They're decent guitars, but they will not stay in tune, at all. His tuning keys are stock no-namers. At practice or at gigs, he'll have to re-tune after pretty much every song. sometime u can notice mid-song that he's out of tune. My guitar on the other hand, you cannot knock it out of tune. It's very reliable. It has grovers.

He plays a little sloppy and strums pretty hard sometimes...Is his problem the tuning keys, or his poor technique? Can the stockers be THAT bad? and would a new set of tuners fix this problem?
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
so...
would a new set of tuners fix the tuning problem?

edit* if so, can anyone reccomend a good set? (not too expensive)
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
Last edited by appetite4gnr at Feb 25, 2008,
well, his g/f got him the epi...so i'm pretty sure a new guitar is out of the question atm.

edit* as long as it stays in tune, he's happy...as am I...
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
Last edited by appetite4gnr at Feb 25, 2008,
just upgrade to a new guitar.

if you're going to sink the money into new tuners, you might as well get a new bridge too.
not everyone can "just upgrade to a new guitar"...
we're both in school, and both have tuition/loans to pay off. not to mention gas and insurance... and on little more than minimum wage, a new guitar isn't an option.
$40 for a new set of tuners is an option, and if it will fix the problem, it's a good option atm.

so yes or no, If we bought a set of grovers off ebay for $40 and replaced the old ones, will the guitar stay in tune?
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
Thank you.
I was just looking for a straight answer.
If it were up to us, we'd both have Gibsons..lol
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
Could be the nut as well. I'd check to see if that isn't the problem before I replace the tuners.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
thx.
I'll check the nut out 1st.
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
The epi100 tuners are cheap korean ones. They dont stay in tune nomatter your playing style. I have one and a set of grovers will drop right in and keep it in tune. Go with brand name tuners theres alot of aftermarket stuff sold "good as" but its not. Guitar fetish sent me a set like that and they were the exact same tuners I was trying to replace.
Grovers.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
ibanez ag95 is dope,
i own it biiiches,
it aint that cheap quality material.
and it looks very attracttive.