Hi, im Still in highschool but i was hoping to some Day attend Musicians Institue for Guitar. There website doesnt have a lot of information that i can really see, maby im just not looking hard enouph, but Is it like a College/university where you apply after you graduate Highschool? How hard is it to get in? What kinda courses are offred for guitar. all i can see is some Single string lines and Rythm guitar, which seems pretty bare for being the same school Paul Gilbert attended.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Like misexual?

I dont wanna know what else there is involved besides girls and guys...

And i found the rest of the courses, i was only on the Bachelor Thing ( i thought it ment what youd get after completing, not what you needed to get in)
Quote by Tubyboulin
:
I dont wanna know what else there is involved besides girls and guys...

goats!
You can either apply for the regular guitar certificate program, or you can get a degree (you will have to take classes at a local community college in addition to your studies at MI). The latter is much harder to get into because it requires a lot more than what you need for the basic guitar program. Either way, it is VERY expensive. I guess you need to decide whether you want a degree or just the certificate and then prepare accordingly.

The classes they offer range from the basic and essential to much more exciting material. Yes, you will have to work on things that might not be very interesting to you, but they serve a purpose and help you to get to the fun stuff (I recommend anything taught by Ken Steiger, who is an incredible guitar player...he's also in that RHCP video dancing around ).

If you can afford it and have the dedication I think you should go for it.

EDIT: You really should request their catalog and if you are really serious, call them up. They can answer your questions over the phone and if you are ever in the area, you can take a tour.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Last edited by terrencemaddox at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by terrencemaddox
You can either apply for the regular guitar certificate program, or you can get a degree (you will have to take classes at a local community college in addition to your studies at MI). The latter is much harder to get into because it requires a lot more than what you need for the basic guitar program. Either way, it is VERY expensive. I guess you need to decide whether you want a degree or just the certificate and then prepare accordingly.

The classes they offer range from the basic and essential to much more exciting material. Yes, you will have to work on things that might not be very interesting to you, but they serve a purpose and help you to get to the fun stuff (I recommend anything taught by Ken Steiger, who is an incredible guitar player...he's also in that RHCP video dancing around ).

If you can afford it and have the dedication I think you should go for it.

EDIT: You really should request their catalog and if you are really serious, call them up. They can answer your questions over the phone and if you are ever in the area, you can take a tour.

How much money are we talking about here? im only 14 write now and live in Ontario Canada (as i said, still in highschool) But i really want to Go there. Acedemics and Desk jobs never really interested me, i know they are the "Safe" way but i wont be happy with something like that. What would i need to do if i want the Certificate thing for guitar?
Well the best I can do is link you here: http://www.mi.edu/request-information.aspx

That will get you the information you need (I would tell you myself, but I can't remember the prices. I wanted to go a few years back). I can tell you that you have to consider the cost of the program as well as the cost of living in L.A. (no student housing), which is very expensive. Financial aid is available though.

To prepare yourself for the certificate in guitar performance, you should try to learn as much about theory, technique and improvisation as you can (sight reading would also be helpful). This can be achieved a number of ways, but one way to go is purchase some of the books from MI Press, which are written by many of the instructors there. Info about that can be found on the website.

As for the audition, from what I remember you record yourself doing a few simple things that anyone who is even somewhat proficient at guitar should be able to do. They ask you to play a couple scales (play them cleanly...don't blaze through them if you can't do so with precision) a couple songs (I think one original and one by someone else or something like that) and maybe an arpeggio, or two. I'm sure there's more to it, but the point is that you shouldn't really have much of a problem with it. They really just want you to prove that you are at least competent and have some experience playing. The real concern is monetary.

You should download that catalog/application though, because that will tell you exactly what is required of you.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Thanks Terrence, you have been a great help ill download the catalouge.

I Took instrumental Music in Grade 9, and im taking A Keyboard class/theory in 10. in 11 i should take guitar if i want to get into this school, right? I think its Jazz guitar at my school but it should give a lot of help sight reading and such.