Page 1 of 2
Does anybody else feel like Gibson is the big corporate bully of guitars?

I'm not saying Gibson guitars aren't great, they are some of the best but.

I just think they're unlikeable, they also bought out Epiphone so, tsk tsk Gibby.

Peysonally I'm a Fender Guy and an Epiphone guy.

In general though Ibanez can suck it.
i feel they are the microsoft of the guitar world, big, get alot of hate towards them

but deffinatly not as bad as the haters make them out to be

go mac!
Some of the articles on this site show how much gibson loves to smear their propaganda everywhere.

You're right too they are like microsoft haha
Quote by johnny_tapia
Gibson's are great guitars, but overpriced.

Agreed. That and the fact they must use crap mahogany on their lower eend models; seriously, why else would you need to put an anchor in the strap button?

Also, TS, its ironic you play an Epi then.
From a business point of view they are doing great. They can charge stupid amounts of money for guitars which probably don't cost half as much to make. People will pay £1000 for a mediocre Gibson guitar even when there are much better and cheaper alternatives, just to get the Gibson names on the headstock. I wish I had a company where I could overcharge like that
Quote by CJRocker
Also, TS, its ironic you play an Epi then.

Agreed. An Epiphone is just a mediocre guitar that says Gibson on it.

I'm not a big fan of Gibson but I do love the Flying V.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
it is pretty ridiculous how much they charge, its not like theyve even made any revolutionary new designs lately, except the robot guitar, and if anyone on here owns one put up the pic to prove it, those things are $$$$$ as hell
Gear:

Stinger Smx
Hondo H-1
Fender Classical
Custom Mini Les Paul
60 watt Mega Tube
GNX4 workstation
6 pack of Shiner Bock
Quote by Epibird

I just think they're unlikeable, they also bought out Epiphone so, tsk tsk Gibby.

A touch of ADD perhaps?
sigh...
Quote by Ichimaru
Agreed. An Epiphone is just a mediocre guitar that says Gibson on it.

No, an Epiphone is just a mediocre guitar that says Epiphone on it
Epiphones customs with some new pickups are much better than mediocre. An an Epiphone elitist is better than a lot of Gibsons.

But hey, there's no talking sense to brand snobs, you know the kind that come here putting everything inexpensive down just for the sake of it
Quote by _BucketHead_
Epiphones customs with some new pickups are much better than mediocre. An an Epiphone elitist is better than a lot of Gibsons.

But hey, there's no talking sense to brand snobs, you know the kind that come here putting everything inexpensive down just for the sake of it

That is a stupid argument. You only picked the top part of Epiphones selection to prove that they are good. That is like me saying that all Ibanez's are bad because of the GSZ120 which is trash. That doesn't say anything about the whole brand. Stupid head.
Quote by Epibird

You're right. Why would I want a ****ty top of the line Ibanez that will cost about half or less than half of a top of the line Gibson. Not only that but Ibanez quality is very consistent and there is almost never a "bad apple". I would get a high quality Tremelo, brand name pick-ups, and a nice replaceable hard to break bolt on neck.

There are much better deals on Gibson shape guitars that are not from Gibson. Gibson quality control is horrible, even on their high price stuff. Not only that you get a huge lack of options from Gibson.

Try warmoth.com, carvin, ibanez, shecter, and agile for starters. All much better companies than Gibson.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
So you like epiphone but not gibson. hmmmm to my knowledge epiphone has been producing low end gibsons with a cheaper name for the last eon.
I am biased however cuz I've bought one myself and while it was expensive ($2500 give or take) it was worth every penny. For me anyways.
Quote by giantsfanftw
They are too ****ing heavy for me

Ever played an SG?

Anyway, Gibsons are only truly good for the high end models (like $2000 or more), the low end is CRAP and you're better of with an Epiphone.

But nothing else can hold a candle to a REAL Gibson, except maybe a PRS Custom 24 ten top or something. But even those have non Gibson/Fender pickups, so everyone sounds the same.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by _BucketHead_
From a business point of view they are doing great. They can charge stupid amounts of money for guitars which probably don't cost half as much to make. People will pay £1000 for a mediocre Gibson guitar even when there are much better and cheaper alternatives, just to get the Gibson names on the headstock. I wish I had a company where I could overcharge like that

For my V I paid the money because its a great guitar and I love it.
I agree. I played a newer SG Special, expecting it to be better than mine, and it felt like an Epiphone SG Special, which is one of the worst guitars I've ever played. It just looked better, and said Gibson on it. The Gibson logo wasn't even inlaid, too.
I love Gibson... oh, and Fender too..
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
You're right. Why would I want a ****ty top of the line Ibanez that will cost about half or less than half of a top of the line Gibson. Not only that but Ibanez quality is very consistent and there is almost never a "bad apple". I would get a high quality Tremelo, brand name pick-ups, and a nice replaceable hard to break bolt on neck.

There are much better deals on Gibson shape guitars that are not from Gibson. Gibson quality control is horrible, even on their high price stuff. Not only that you get a huge lack of options from Gibson.

Try warmoth.com, carvin, ibanez, shecter, and agile for starters. All much better companies than Gibson.

Top of the line Ibanez cost as much as top of the line Gibson. Sorry to burst your bubble.
i really like the gibson V.

other than that...they arent for me. I hate the feel of them. Tone-wise I love them, but not for my type of music.

If I were to buy a gibby..it would be a V.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by CJRocker
Top of the line Ibanez cost as much as top of the line Gibson. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Now I'm no fan of Ibanez so correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge the higher end Ibanez's (being a JS4579379379) don't go much higher than 2 grand.
Quote by Bobbito315
Now I'm no fan of Ibanez so correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge the higher end Ibanez's (being a JS4579379379) don't go much higher than 2 grand.

The Vai's hit around $2200, as some of the nicer neck thru RGs, which is as much as nay USA Jackson or Gibson. the JS are only $1200, which is lower end for an Ibby. Anything above the LP Standard ($2200-$2400) is Gibson Custom, which doesn't count.
Quote by CJRocker
The Vai's hit around $2200, as some of the nicer neck thru RGs, which is as much as nay USA Jackson or Gibson. the JS are only $1200, which is lower end for an Ibby. Anything above the LP Standard ($2200-$2400) is Gibson Custom, which doesn't count.

Haha ok see I didn't know customs didn't count.
Geez the Ibanez fan-boys have to be in every hate thread don't they

Anyways, I don't understand why 'hate' the brand and take it personally. No ones holding a gun to your head and saying you must use Gibson or else. The beauty about the guitar market is there is no monopoly. There are 2 major players (Fender and Gibson) and a lot of others you can choose from both good and bad. Its not like with computers where you're pretty much forced to use M$ Windblows if you want to do certain things. Sure Apple is a good alternative, hell even Linux and BSD but M$ is a monopoly. So you can hate M$ in this circumstance

The one thing though that I do not like what Gibson does is hold down some of their brands like the Kramer line of guitars. Back in the 80's they were some of the best guitars you could buy and so many players used them. Fender was a mess in the late 70's, early 80's. Anyways, thats what happens when you get big companies buying out others. They don't wanna cause competition for each other between their own brands so theres a balancing act. Never a good thing.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I love Gibson guitars, they are expensive but oh well. No one is forcing you to buy one, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple.

As for Epiphones, they are not that bad of guitars(with the exception of the lower ones). I personally love my Epi, I would get Gibsons, but I do not have that kind of money to drop $2500 on a guitar.

The thing is that all bigger guitar companies that make good guitars make crappy guitars as well. Brand doesn't mean too much to me, I personally look more for the tone and the feel, my Epi plays very nice, almost as nice as my strat.

P.S. I'm not an Epi fanboy or anything, just stating that just because a guitar has a certain name on its headstock doesn't mean anything.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Quote by Sox0690
That is a stupid argument. You only picked the top part of Epiphones selection to prove that they are good. That is like me saying that all Ibanez's are bad because of the GSZ120 which is trash. That doesn't say anything about the whole brand. Stupid head.

You said Epiphones are mediocre guitars. So I chose the top end of them to prove they aren't. If you meant all lower Epiphones are mediocre, then you should of been more specific, shouldn't you? Stupid
Last edited by _BucketHead_ at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by Epibird

i love my gibson, but i agree with TS here, theve gone way up in price since i got mine (i got an amazing deal on it too) and you have to nitpick just to find a good one, i got lucky with mine. I wouldnt consider Fender the Mac of the guitar world because their users arent snooty pricks that wear 300 dollar designer jeans (for the most part)
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Love em hate em, they make a damn good guitar thats nice to play so, so who cares everyone's personal opinion about them.
I've voiced my opinion on Gibson many times before, but I can sum it up like this:

Gibson (guitars) = Not bad, but pricey
Gibson (company) = Bloody awful...the scum of the guitar-manufacturing world
Quote by CJRocker

Then J-Customs don't count. God you are dumb. JS series is not low end, those are fine ****ing guitars. Just because something doesn't have a flamed maple top and pretty inlays doesn't make it low end.

If you wanna go by highest priced then fine.
JEM7V - $2200
Les Paul BFG - $3600
Les Paul Supreme - $3100

The Les Pauls are missing a pick-up, a trem, and 2 frets. The veneer is pretty but so are solid colors.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Last edited by IBANEZ_EDGE at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Then J-Customs don't count. God you are dumb. JS series is not low end, those are fine ****ing guitars. Just because something doesn't have a flamed maple top and pretty inlays doesn't make it low end.

If you wanna go by highest priced then fine.
JEM7V - $2200
Les Paul BFG - $3600
Les Paul Supreme - $3100

The Les Pauls are missing a pick-up, a trem, and 2 frets. The veneer is pretty but so are solid colors.

Do you insult people and then spew crap on a regular basis? The BFG is like $1200. The top on Gibsons are pretty damn thick too buddy, they aren't just a Veneer. That said, I just noticed the JS1200 went up in price. Thats no more overpriced than anything Gibson churns out.

You seem to be a super Strat elitist a swell; because Gibsons don't have a single coil, 2 pickups and an FR, means by default they should be cheaper? Also, Ibanez has several models in the $2200-$2400 range and Gibson has 1 that exceeds it. And thats not including Team J-Craft, which aren't technically Customs.

I don't like Gibson. I think they are a shady company that peddles a ton crap or guitars made from said crap. But your arguments aren't too great.
what's up with the random "tourettes guy" style ibanez bash at the end...
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

Page 1 of 2