For all you classic 50 owners I have a couple questions.

what is the tube changing process on one of these amps is it self biasing(?) so i can put new tubes in and just play right?

Im thinking of doing a full retube since i bought the floor model and then I'll know everything is in good condition. So what tubes would you recommend I was looking at tung-sol for 12ax7 not sure bout the El 84's (pretty sure thats what I need)

thanks for any help

Edit- looking for a good balance between clean and distortion I like em' both. For distortion I'd say a good classic hard rock tone thats tight and cleans up with the volume knob, for cleans pretty much any old decent to good clean tone will do im not to picky here.
Gear
Epiphone Sg
60's MIM Strat
Epi Valve Junior
Peavey classic 50 212
Old peavey 130
pedals
Last edited by mike110691 at Feb 25, 2008,
Thanks thats what i was reading in the tube thread and i was looking and found this site

http://www.tubedepot.com/jj-el84.html

$16 plus shipping good deal? for a matched pair whatever that means?
Gear
Epiphone Sg
60's MIM Strat
Epi Valve Junior
Peavey classic 50 212
Old peavey 130
pedals
I am in north america thanks for the site

I think im gonna go for the JJ's and i guess tung-sol for the 12ax7

What about actually changing the tubes in a classic 50 anybody care to shed some light.

thanks
Gear
Epiphone Sg
60's MIM Strat
Epi Valve Junior
Peavey classic 50 212
Old peavey 130
pedals
Get some contact cleaner; the non-lubricated variety. Pull out your old tubes. Spray the sockets and the pins of your new tubes with the cleaner. Pop 'em in and out a couple times, spray 'em again, and push them into place.

There's probably no real need to to bias a Classic 50. Just make sure you buy a "matched quad" on the power tubes.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
alright sounds easy enough. you know as i was typing this thread up i thought to myself slats is probably gonna come in here and lay some knowledge down haha. thanks man
Gear
Epiphone Sg
60's MIM Strat
Epi Valve Junior
Peavey classic 50 212
Old peavey 130
pedals
It is easy enough. Those are basically the same tubes I'm putting in my AC30. I was looking at the TAD EL84's, too. They look really good to me. I was just concerned about the fit in my amp. They're made of thicker glass.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
well thats good to hear, never herd of those other tubes though i think im just gonna stick with jj's
Gear
Epiphone Sg
60's MIM Strat
Epi Valve Junior
Peavey classic 50 212
Old peavey 130
pedals