well, if you've seen my other threads, i have a epiphone g-400, and i was thinking about throwing a bigsby on it...so a few questions:

1. obvious question, bigsby, yay or nay?

2. how difficult would it be to put it on myself?

3. How would it be for kinda, harder rock stuff? possibly wouldn't get much use, so it'd stay in tune longer, but i heard they give better sustain so...yeah..
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Well, there's a fair number of hard rock artists that use a Bigsby, Neil Young being the most obvious one to come to mind. No harm in putting it on.

Dunno if the sustain would be any better.

I don't think they're too especially hard to put on.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Neil Young plays hard rock?

TS, I wanted to put a Bigsby on my Epi LP, but many people advised against it as it was apparently costly and tricky to put on. This is what I was told. The music store employees said a Bigsby would run me $250 CDN, but I have no idea if that's right or not.
i looked online and apparently the one for an sg type body is $105 american...not bad if you ask me

so did you ever get around to doing it?

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
travis stever uses one

they seem pretty awesome, i might put one on my les paul.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Quote by SideshowRaven24
travis stever uses one

they seem pretty awesome, i might put one on my les paul.

haha...he gave me the idea

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Bigsbys are the worst tremolos ever...

good talk...any experience there?... care to elaborate?...

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Bigsby should be perfect for light vibrato effects, just don't try pulling off any Dragonforce-esque divebombing. If you're good with woodworking, the drilling and whatnot should be simple.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I wouldn't imagine it being to difficult but for hard rock/metal I don't see a whole lot of people use them. I know Angus Young used them occasionally though on his sg's.
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Bigsbys are the worst tremolos ever...

are you serous? Just because it doesn't do divebombs doesnt make it inferior to the heavy metal ones! I love em, but to each his own.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Quote by DrNick
Bigsby should be perfect for light vibrato effects, just don't try pulling off any Dragonforce-esque divebombing. If you're good with woodworking, the drilling and whatnot should be simple.

that's what the thought was behind it...i was thinking about getting like a floyd or something, but i realized i wouldn't be using it too much...just a light touch at the end of songs, chords, whatever...

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Actually my dad has a Telecaster with one so I have alot of experience. It is alright for slight tremolo effects not if you want to do anything drastic like dive bombs. Tuning stability kinda sucks also.

I'm not sure if you can put a Kahler on an SG but I would do that.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
i don't know about sustain, but to get any real use out of it i would put in locking tuners, as long as you don't expect any sort of divebombs it'd be ok i guess

EDIT: to the guy talking about a kahler, you can put one on an sg, and now that i think about it, it'd probably be a better way to go in my opinion, they're just a more versatile bridge i think, and wouldn't be too much more expensive than a real bigsby
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Neil Young plays hard rock?

Ever heard "Like a Hurricane"? About half of his musical output is this sort of grungy hard rock.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
These guys claim to have a tremolo arm that would be easy to fit onto your guitar:
http://www.stetsbar.com/index.html
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
ok so if i want tuning stability, i'd need to pus some locking tuners on, how much would that run me up?

also, since people are talking about kahlers, those things are like $300...jesus, lol worth more than the guitar i wanna put it on...or am i looking at the wrong model...links?

oh, and if i did go with a kahler, would i have to put locking tuners on those too?...and what would be the difference? can kahlers do all the crazy divebombing stuff? 'cuz if they can, i might go with one...but the price difference is way to big 'cuz i won't be using it that much...

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Quote by Chad11491
i don't know about sustain, but to get any real use out of it i would put in locking tuners, as long as you don't expect any sort of divebombs it'd be ok i guess

EDIT: to the guy talking about a kahler, you can put one on an sg, and now that i think about it, it'd probably be a better way to go in my opinion, they're just a more versatile bridge i think, and wouldn't be too much more expensive than a real bigsby

you can put a kahler on an sg? i might try that, but it would only be a substitute for my dream guitar, a les paul with a floyd rose.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by bobby_splax
ok so if i want tuning stability, i'd need to pus some locking tuners on, how much would that run me up?

also, since people are talking about kahlers, those things are like $300...jesus, lol worth more than the guitar i wanna put it on...or am i looking at the wrong model...links?

oh, and if i did go with a kahler, would i have to put locking tuners on those too?...and what would be the difference? can kahlers do all the crazy divebombing stuff? 'cuz if they can, i might go with one...but the price difference is way to big 'cuz i won't be using it that much...

kahlers are like floyd roses, essentially

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by an epic mistake
kahlers are like floyd roses, essentially

so would i have to put like...a locking nut in as well? and would tuning be as much of a burden as it is on a floyd rose? 'cuz for some light vibrato i don't think i'd wanna go through all that trouble

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
For what you're are looking for I would recommend you to stick with the bigsby.
Tuning with any locking nut is more complex than regular tuning but its still do-able. You should get a roller bridge also, that plus a locking nut will really help your tuning stability.
so if i were to just put on a bigsby, i should still put on a locking nut...or just locking tuners?...or both?...price on those? links

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Locking tuners would probably work, with a graphite nut or something to keep the strings lubricated.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
ok so basically how much would i have to spend all together?

the bigsby is like $105

so how much would locking tuners be? or a new nut...or both?

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby