I'm planning to buy a boss DS1 for my classic 30 (peavey).

Will that get me something close to the guitar tone of the song "more than a feeling" ?
(boston)

and what effect is Mr. Page using in here? http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xajqf-PhO8s

am preety sure it's a phaser but im not positive

THank you!
Last edited by esp1234 at Feb 25, 2008,
that effect is a wah pedal
and the ds1 would probably be too much for boston... try an overdrive like a tubescreamer
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
The Boss DS1 has a nice range of sounds, but for me personally I just use it for rhythms parts and use my amp's distortion for leads.

He uses a Wah in the intro if that's what you're referring to. However, in the studio recording at least, tincludes an octavia pedal on one of the two verse guitars and reverb on a the bending lick right before the solo.
I think a Big Muff would be better for more than a feeling type of tone. Thats just my opinion though.

Edit: I think any kind of distortion pedal would be too much, try a nice overdrive.
Colors by Between the Buried and Me is the Best album ever
so overdrive overdrives the distortion on the amp right? So do you use it on a clean channel or the distortion channel?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Do you know what brand of wah pedal he might be using by any chance?
if not, then i guess ill go witha Dunlop
Quote by sacamano79
so overdrive overdrives the distortion on the amp right? So do you use it on a clean channel or the distortion channel?

I'll use it on clean. It's a tube amp though.
Quote by esp1234
Do you know what brand of wah pedal he might be using by any chance?
if not, then i guess ill go witha Dunlop

I would guess a Vox just because of their popularity at the time, but I'm not too sure. A Dunlop would suit you fine though.
Quote by esp1234
I'll use it on clean. It's a tube amp though.

What tube amp? You can get that tone out of a cranked tube amp.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
yes DS-1 is to much for Boston......Get a Rockman for 70 bucks of ebay....waaaaayyy better
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by esp1234
Will that get me something close to the guitar tone of the song "more than a feeling" ?
(boston)

The Boston guitar sound from the 2 first albums ("Boston" & "Don't Look Back") was achieved with 100 watt Marshall plexi stacks fitted with attenuators, equalizers and a lot more. You can find excellent info about Tom Scholz's earlier guitar rigs over here : http://www.rockmancentral.com/.
Quote by Bostonrocks
yes DS-1 is to much for Boston......Get a Rockman for 70 bucks of ebay....waaaaayyy better

Make sure you buy one of SR&D brand, not a Dunlop remake. The "Ace" series (from Dunlop) do not have compression, echo or chorus.
Quote by Mackin
Make sure you buy one of SR&D brand, not a Dunlop remake. The "Ace" series (from Dunlop) do not have compression, echo or chorus.

this man speaks the Truth the dunlop versions suck..

and to the guys who said he Tom used marshalls your right But to get any where near what he had you need a LOT of money he made the majority of the pedals he owned.

if you do go get a rockman start with either a X100 or one of the small box versions or if you wanna go straight to the modules go for a Distorion generator or sustainer.

if you can help it DON'T play it through a cab use the PA system in the house or when your at home use your boom box speakers if you get a X100.

hmm anything i missed?

oh

Rockman-gearup.com
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
if you can help it DON'T play it through a cab use the PA system in the house or when your at home use your boom box speakers if you get a X100.

hmm anything i missed?

oh

Rockman-gearup.com

Yeah, you'll definitely get the best out of a Rockman by running it direct through the PA. This is because the Rockman's filtering already includes a "cab sim". I run my X100 through my bedroom's hi-fi system most of the time. Gotta love the stereo chorus !!!
...Oh, and rockman-gearup is a excellent site ! A guy named Jark who hangs out there also has an excellent website himself : www.rockman.fr (full of info ! It's great !)