a few hours ago i went by the local music store to try and decide on my next electric guitar. My price range was somewhere below 4-500 dollars. I was almost definatley going to get a fender as soon as i get the money. I browsed the rest of the electrics first however, particullarly the Gibsons. I looked at some of the price tags knowing i couldn't afford these guitars and it hit me how much money Gibson wanted for a guitar. Honestly is a Gibson LP Custom really worth 3500 dollars. Well i played a few fenders and that custom lp through a few amps with loads of boss pedals just mixing it around. And i really wasnt suprised when the fender MIM standard sounded better than the LP custom and costs 3000 dollars less. I think its time people start refusing to pay that much for guitars so the price will go down, because its the consumers that control the prices not the providers.

Just my opinion what do you guys/girls think?
Well, tone is always going to be a subjective thing. You can find people here who think that starter pack no-name Strats through Spider IIIs have great tone. You'll also find people who think they get phenomenal tone through Triple Rectifier full stacks with '59 Gibson LPs, and are willing to shell out the money as such.

Is it true that there are some guitars out there that are over-valued in terms of part/build quality? Possibly. The opposite holds true too - some guitars may be under-valued. But as long as people have the money and are willing to pay the money, they'll get whatever they want.

This is something we can debate forever and never find one true answer for.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
true i guess. But i've listened to a lot of guys that are alot better than me w/ more experience that sound incredible on 400 dollar strats and 500 dollar epi les pauls and refuse to pay 3500 when thats and awesome amp and entire effects set up you could get. hell thats a cheap car
The experience will also make a difference. Steve Vai could EQ a Spider III and play an Ibanez GiO and probably make it sound amazing. On the flip side, someone who's been playing guitar for a day could have the most expensive gear in the world and still sound terrible. Now, that doesn't stop Steve Vai from getting custom Ibanez guitars and custom Carvin amps.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
"with more experience" thats the ticket right there. Right now I'm teaching my bassit guitar, he's using a Samick knock of Strat that he got from a friend for free, I sound awesome on it, compared to him simply because I've been playing longer.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
Quote by DrNick
Well, tone is always going to be a subjective thing.

There it is.

I'd add feel to that as well, but again, very subjective.
imo....

YOU GET WHAT THE F YOU PAY FOR.....

sheesh, there are about 1000000000000000 posts here saying guitar costs too much blah blah blah.

Price should not matter, what FEELS GOOD to you should matter. If you like it, save up and buy it. You dont like it, go pick up another one.

thanks.
[Gear]
1957 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom [gone ]
1958 Reissue Sunburst (Ice Tea)
1959 Reissue Sunburst (Cherry)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG
50th Anniversary CS Masterbuilt Strat

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
You have to realize that a lot of people are paying for the Gibson name, and they (hopefully) know this, and don't mind. It's something to be proud of knowing you have finally worked your way up to the top and own one of the most wanted guitars

I'm pretty sure that if Slash recorded the next velvet revolver album using an Epiphone LP no one on this forum would notice, they'd still assume he used a Gibson LP

If you look at videos on youtube you can find squiers being played through good amps, and they sound fantastic

Gibson aren't worth thousands for tone alone, not by a long way. But it's more than that, it gives you a higher status
Quote by _BucketHead_
You have to realize that a lot of people are paying for the Gibson name, and they (hopefully) know this, and don't mind. It's something to be proud of knowing you have finally worked your way up to the top and own one of the most wanted guitars

I'm pretty sure that if Slash recorded the next velvet revolver album using an Epiphone LP no one on this forum would notice, they'd still assume he used a Gibson LP

If you look at videos on youtube you can find squiers being played through good amps, and they sound fantastic

Gibson aren't worth thousands for tone alone, not by a long way. But it's more than that, it gives you a higher status

i agree. tone may not be a hundred times better but you know you can pull out your gibson and make the guy playing a squire feel like he just got PWND.
[Gear]
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by DrNick
The experience will also make a difference. Steve Vai could EQ a Spider III and play an Ibanez GiO and probably make it sound amazing. On the flip side, someone who's been playing guitar for a day could have the most expensive gear in the world and still sound terrible. Now, that doesn't stop Steve Vai from getting custom Ibanez guitars and custom Carvin amps.

Well Steve Vai can afford the best, so why not get the best? If I were a millionaire I'd buy the most expensive equipment

But poor wannabe guitarists shouldn't feel like they HAVE to have expensive equipment to sound good. It's perfectly ok to have a $500 guitar and amp

I've seen people with Epiphone customs saying they really want a Gibson so they can sound great. If they can't sound great on their epi custom then they won't sound great on anything lol
I was in guitar center and saw a $30,000 Gibson LP with all kinds of crazy inlay.....(no, that $30,000 is NOT a typo)... was in a glass wall case...

That guitar could feel like I'm creamin my pants and I'm still not going to buy it.......

But somebody did......... And I'm PRETTY sure that it wasn't because of the feel of it....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Well there's always folks that'll buy stuff like that. If they can afford it, then who cares. It doesn't hurt anyone. Not all Les Pauls cost $30,000 though. And more likely than having sold it, they probably shipped it off to a new store to let them display it in their case to make people ooh and ahh over it.

Me personally, my Gibson flying V feels a lot nicer to me than my Epiphone ever did and blows the doors off it for sound and I didn't pay $30,000 for it. I dunno if anyone remembers the Martin that one of the online shops was selling for $85k a while back.

You're paying for the name, sure. You're also paying for US labor (sometimes highly skilled). Even if it's not that much better of an instrument than a stock model, it costs much more to produce. Then you're paying for the markups at the dealership (and sometimes the distributor if one's involved) and if you live otuside the country of manufacture, you're paying usually some pretty substantial import duties. Everyone who touches the damned thing between the lumber yard and you wants to get paid for it.

Final cost to end user: sometimes more than one is willing to pay.
Last edited by Hydra26 at Feb 26, 2008,
Quote by guitaruboy
just wished they would make better lower cost alternatives

most companies do....
[Gear]
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
I think they do. They say "Epiphone" on them.
$3000-$5000 doesn't sound unreasonable for a top-end guitar. It was not built with the beginner or student in mind. If this sounds too expensive for you, you are obviously not that particular guitar's target market.
I have owned and played several inexpensive guitars that were broken in and set up properly that played very well.
When you pull a handmade instrument out of it's case and play it, you will feel the diffence. If you don't, it's not the guitar's fault. Play for a few more years and you will.
the cheapest guitars are handmade. the cnc thing costs a lot to buy.
Quote by Hydra26

You're paying for the name, sure. You're also paying for US labor (sometimes highly skilled). Even if it's not that much better of an instrument than a stock model, it costs much more to produce.

True this....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
If you think prices are high in the US, try buying something in the UK. My American Deluxe Strat cost me about four times the price it is in America. We get completely ripped here.
Some brands like Gibson and Fender, have a lot of name or brand value I guess...Yea its true that quite a few guitars from their catalog are very overpriced, and sometimes,I think your buying a lot of the name rather than the guitar....Still...the point that they do have lower end Epiphones that sound nice, for cheaper the price..so you can't really say that they didn't think of making more affordable guitars...Depends if your willing to go past the people who say, epiphones are crap because their a sub brand or that squier is crap because their a sub brand of fender...Some of them actually sound quite nice and are very affordable.. =x
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
the simple fact is that all the big name guitars every whines are too expensive arent, as people are still buying them, otherwise their prices would be lowered

somethings worth what somebody will pay for it
Even Gibson produces guitars cheaper than that, it isn't like all of their guitars are $3500, even brands targeted exclusively at the high end professional market like Caparison make guitars cheaper than that. They do have quite a few $3000+ guitars, but those aren't where the bulk of Gibson's sales lie.