Page 1 of 3
So...
I'm getting sick of hearing that projected at me and my friends around my catholic school.

So...
Im wondering where does it actually say in the bible/qu'ran/whatever that it was created 6000 years ago? Maybe Im googling the wrong things, but I cant find any direct citations from there. So does anybody know? Or is it not actually in there?
Quote by Metal_Militia15
So...
I'm getting sick of hearing that projected at me and my friends around my catholic school.

So...
Im wondering where does it actually say in the bible/qu'ran/whatever that it was created 6000 years ago? Maybe Im googling the wrong things, but I cant find any direct citations from there. So does anybody know? Or is it not actually in there?
I don't think so. It's been a while since I read that thing.
somebody thinks they traced the people depicted in the bible back to around that date.
the bible is hisotrically inaccurate anyway
its got religious value
i acvtually remeebr something form religion class...
Quote by Metal_Militia15
So...

So...

if you want a witty and intelligent comeback to them just explain that there are millions of pieces of evidence that the planet is over 6 billion years old. Keith Richards for example.
They calculated it from "the begats"

Theres a big massive scripture that goes "and adam begot joe, and joe begot elizabeth and elizabeth begat timmy"

supposedly everyone who was born up to a certain point from adam and eve.
They only say it was created 6000 years ago because thats the time they approximated between Adam and Eve and the present.
Quote by blAstBeAtz
if you want a witty and intelligent comeback to them just explain that there are millions of pieces of evidence that the planet is over 6 billion years old. Keith Richards for example.

badum ch
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Quote by Metal_Militia15
Who? The Church?

Yes, some catholic guy sat and went "well if everyone lived for 60 years that'd bring us to about 6000 years given how many people are in the begats"
The Bible isn't supposed to be interpreted literally, otherwise you'll end up like Jerry Falwell.
yeah, say if they knew jesus was born 2000 years ago? They just counted backwards. After all, the bible mentions everyone who was born from Adam to Jesus. Like a direct line of descent, the whole "begat thing"

course more importantly is how you interpret it.

I take it more metaphorically. Like when they say seven days, i take that to mean a lot more time than 7 days, but its much easier to say 7 days than 7 million years. I still believe in god, but you dont have to take everything at face value.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Haha the whole idea that most people have of creation now is wrong. The original version of the Bible creation story talked about the seven ages instead of seven days. Therefore evolution is a possibility, and neither the Bible or Evolution disproves the other
Quote by freedoms_stain
Yes, some catholic guy sat and went "well if everyone lived for 60 years that'd bring us to about 6000 years given how many people are in the begats"

That may have been so years ago, but today Catholics are a bit less conservative. The late Pope John Paul II even regarded evolution as "more than a hypothesis".
Archbishop James Ussher of Armagh, Ireland, calculated from the Bible (augmented by some astronomy and numerology) that creation began on October 23, 4004 BC

this.
Man you should of taken this to the Religion thread. Now they are all gonna leave that thread and come here.
epic7734
religion thread...

in the meantime, there is no "real" place where it says that, it's all people reading into it.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Religion thread...
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Some yokel made it up. It pacifies the drooling retarded and small children. And oh yeah- that same yokel also made it ok to drop BOMBS on anyone who doesn't believe the dogma. I **** you not, he really did!
Quote by XgamerGt04
Haha the whole idea that most people have of creation now is wrong. The original version of the Bible creation story talked about the seven ages instead of seven days. Therefore evolution is a possibility, and neither the Bible or Evolution disproves the other

I've actually never heard that before. I'm interested, you wouldn't happen to have a link or something? PM me if you do.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Quote by LinkManDX
That may have been so years ago, but today Catholics are a bit less conservative. The late Pope John Paul II even regarded evolution as "more than a hypothesis".

I was raised catholic until I became agnostic.
If you're so offended by this, why don't you go to a different school? Is that not possible in your situation?

And as I always say: Believe what you want to believe and shut up about it. Though it makes sense that you're hearing that in a catholic school.

I'm studying the 3 Abrahamic religions right now, and so far I have seen nothing about this 6000 year business...so I have no idea where it stems from.

But...I get your pain man...I hate it when people push religion on others...like...it's just disrespectful. Even if it's part of their religion to do so. Basically, there's good ways about TALKING to people in a civil matter about beliefs, and there's an improper way. The way that school is doing it sounds like the bad way.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Quote by blAstBeAtz

The title of this thread is misleading, I though you were going to lecture us on how the Earth is 6000 years old.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Well, it doesnt actually say in the Bible "And by the time you read this the earth would be 6000 years old." Obviously. But according the geneology of the people and decendents mentioned in the bible, the ages totaled up, and 2000 years or so since Jesus died, then it could perhaps be around 6000 years.

Some people say though that the "days" God spent creating the earth may not have been the same length as our days. So some believe it could be as high as 8000 years or so.
Quote by papersun87
The Smithsonian Institution considers it to be a factual document.

Not that i don't believe you, but could you post a link please.
epic7734
Quote by iceman_8319

The title of this thread is misleading, I though you were going to lecture us on how the Earth is 6000 years old.

Yeah that was pretty much the point, I knew nobody would really care about anything else other than a stupid christian babbling about creationism and how you're going to hell etc etc.
Quote by tortex199
The Bible isn't supposed to be interpreted literally, otherwise you'll end up like Jerry Falwell.
The human anus was not intended for our sick sexual grtaification either. We, as a species, have an illustrious history of doing this we maybe shouldn't.
http://www.becominghuman.org/ they have found our missing link in fossil form. proof of evolution.

look at a tiger from Africa, and a tigers from Siberia. notice the difference in appearance due to weather and conditions, along with the artic fox. and why is there black and white people? add a few billion years to that and you have the answer.

the evidence is right in front of us.. most people don't realize how long it took to create what the earth is today. which is why so many people blindly assume it happened by magic.
Quote by Karl Sanders
its like a four finger, diminished thingy
Last edited by kinzoku at Feb 25, 2008,
i'm gonna go with this:

Carbon Dating: 1

Religious theories: 0

carbon dating wins!
Gear:

Stinger Smx
Hondo H-1
Fender Classical
Custom Mini Les Paul
60 watt Mega Tube
GNX4 workstation
6 pack of Shiner Bock
Quote by Flying Couch
The human anus was not intended for our sick sexual grtaification either. We, as a species, have an illustrious history of doing this we maybe shouldn't.

Uhh, what?

Quote by TheShubes
i'm gonna go with this:

Carbon Dating: 1

Religious theories: 0

carbon dating wins!

lmao. I honestly think that people need to realize that in the past 100 years we've evolved so much scientifically that we can prove every religious theory significantly incorrect. I think that now is the time for change. Religion will keep diminishing naturally, until people are less consumed by it.
Quote by Flying Couch
Allow me to simplify.

People do silly things.

Yay!!!

In my Human Molecular Genetics lecture today we were shown a Speciation map that shows humans and chimps share a common ancestor only 6.5 million years ago.

Freaky no?
Quote by blAstBeAtz

haha

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Page 1 of 3