Page 1 of 2
Most people by now have heard of the Gibson Robotic (that guitar that tunes its self)

The subject is pretty simple, would you buy a Robotic style bass if it was made by Ernie Ball Musicman (Fender) or some other high end brand?
~Insert Signature Here~
i wouldnt buy the guitar and i still wouldnt buy the bass. its lame. just do it yourself.
I'm supposed to pay an extra few hundred dollars for something that I can just do myself in just as much time... No, sir. I don't like it.
I would not buy it because it tunes itself. If the bass did everything I wanted it to, and fit all the other criteria (such as not costing that much over a normal instrument), then sure. Basically, I would probably pay a maximum $100 to have the instrument tune itself. Thats if it fulfills all my other criteria when buying a bass.
Those robotic tuners put on guitars to be able to CHANGE tunes and use alternate tunes on the spot - not really to keep your guitar in standard the whole time. People who use the robot guitars to stay in standard are just idiots. Bassist's needn't change tunings like that all the time.

But yeah, that intonation thing is cool.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
why buy a bass that tunes itself when you can buy a bass with good tuners or just buy good tuners? i wouldnt shell out the money for one. my basses stay in tune pretty well. and i check my intonations every time i change strings. so its all good there.
Cool concept, yes. Worth the money, no.

I just couldn't see me buying one. Especially for a bass. It seems quite alien to me, almost idk big brother-ish.
Quote by damienblack333
and i check my intonations every time i change strings. so its all good there.

Do you get your intonation to within 1% of perfect? Doubt it.

I reintonate every time I change strings (I often recheck every two weeks, actually), but understand that with a ****ty chromatic tuner and my ear, I won't get perfect intonation. The intonation system would be indispensible.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The automatic tuners I wouldn't go for... the intonation system though, is a fantastic idea- an LED display telling you how far out you're intonation is (in a very similar way to a tuner) with an error margin of less than 1%? Yes please.

Yes, please!!
the auto-tuners, with pre-set down tuning, are just gravy. push a button between songs, and be in tune? Yes!. if i could afford it, Yes! " i love technology".
KORG chromatic tuners Delerium, i've set up floyds with it better than the musicshop in jackson. if there's any percentage off. its not too noticeable. but i swear to the moon and stars that i'll never set up another guitarist floyd rose. thats a nightmare
The point of the tuners isn't that they tune for you it's that they KEEP you in tune.
Quote by thefitz
Those robotic tuners put on guitars to be able to CHANGE tunes and use alternate tunes on the spot - not really to keep your guitar in standard the whole time. People who use the robot guitars to stay in standard are just idiots. Bassist's needn't change tunings like that all the time.

But yeah, that intonation thing is cool.

+1
Yea id buy it just cause when Im surfing for tabs I come across alot of tabs in drop D or other tunings, but i dont play them cause I dont wanna tune or de-tune my strings.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
+1
Yea id buy it just cause when Im surfing for tabs I come across alot of tabs in drop D or other tunings, but i dont play them cause I dont wanna tune or de-tune my strings.

The robot tuners would be a lot more accuratethan a Hipshot D-tuner to boot.
Quote by Zycho
The point of the tuners isn't that they tune for you it's that they KEEP you in tune.

If you want that, I'm sure getting locking tuners if far cheaper.

I wouldn't go for it. I can afford 2 mins at the start of every practise to tune up.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'm sure it'd be cheaper to have multiple basses in different tunings than one with that junk built into it.
I bet the mechanism would break after like, three weeks, And you'd have to send it back, and it'd break agian, and you'd have to send it back again etc.

More trouble than it's worth. my bass normally keeps tuning fine anyway.
I've never had my bass go out of tune while playing, even at a gig I've never had it go sufficiently out of tune during a song for me to have to do anything about it.

Even if it was high quality and made by EBMM, I'd rather have a SR, SR5, Bongo 6, Sterling 4, Sterling 5 for the same price and all set up for any alternate tuning which I may have.
I would go for it. I can tune perfectly. But, as well as a good tool for alternate tunings, I see it being a great tool for live work. IMHO it looks daft when everyone stares at the floor/rack and starts to tune track after track after track! It takes some of the energy level out of it. So instead of 15 seconds, you spend 5 seconds tuning at a simple push of a button.

Of course it isn't neccesary... but it is a nice luxury. I've heard comments about the system being a lazy way out of tuning. My logic is, if you want to spend this kind of money in this sort of technology, you would be able to tune already. Like 83lespaulstudio, this is just gravy. You don't need it, hence why it is so poor value for money. But if you got the money to throw about, why not?
Last edited by shut_up_you_*** at Feb 26, 2008,
My question is this:

What alternate tunings do you need on the gig? OK, I can see going from Eb to E would require some time, but chances are those 2 songs have a very different sound that would require a very different instrument already in the tuning you need.

For bassists, I think a D-Tuner is the only device like that you "need." I can't imagine tuning anything more than that in the context of one set.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Basically, I'd get it if I had the money, to me, it's not quite worth it if I have to shell in a lot of extra money. Simply, because I don't have the money for it.

If I had the money, sure I'd get it.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Quote by thefitz
My question is this:

What alternate tunings do you need on the gig? OK, I can see going from Eb to E would require some time, but chances are those 2 songs have a very different sound that would require a very different instrument already in the tuning you need.

For bassists, I think a D-Tuner is the only device like that you "need." I can't imagine tuning anything more than that in the context of one set.

Dropping down all strings down half step. For songs like Bulls on Parade, you would only HAVE to do the low E, but keeping all the strings in 4ths is nice. For this, the device would be nice.
I'd go for it, I think. But my gripe with keeping it in tune is this; any guitar it'd be worth spending that kind of money on would (at least, should) have high quality tuners on it that won't lose it, and anything that doesn't probably isn't worth the money to upgrade with just that. And even if the guitar itself is worth upgrading crap tuners with that, wouldn't it be more worthwhile to just... buy quality tuners?

That said, I think it's awesome as hell, and shows a lot of promise, especially for live shows.
Personally, I wouldn't. It may be convenient, but to me it takes away from the feel of owning a quality instrument. I'm not sure why, but I just don't value a bass that does something for you like this. I'd much rather own a solid, quality American Fender than something partially robotic. It seems slightly impractical yet practical at the same time.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Personally, I wouldn't. It may be convenient, but to me it takes away from the feel of owning a quality instrument. I'm not sure why, but I just don't value a bass that does something for you like this. I'd much rather own a solid, quality American Fender than something partially robotic. It seems slightly impractical yet practical at the same time.

What about the same Fender with the robot part added?
i could actually see having a robot if you played for goo goo dolls will all their crazy tunings. my philosophy is simple. have an extra bass in the alt. tuning if needed. or be a sport and learn transposition. there's been many nights i've had to transpose something on the fly. usually playing a s****y bar and learning a song on the juke or from the DJ
Quote by staticmoe
Something about them just seems... menacing.

Embrace the future... soon musicians themselves will be replaced by robots.

Then...

Skulls!^

Im scerd now!

but im shure the robot bass wouldnt be as much as a whole separate bass if you sold your current one to get it.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by shut_up_you_***

Then...

That's the idea I'm getting at. It just takes away from the whole feeling of owning a bass, for me. Some technology is nice, but this is pushing it.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Quote by Your41Plague12
That's the idea I'm getting at. It just takes away from the whole feeling of owning a bass, for me. Some technology is nice, but this is pushing it.

I think we're all missing the point of the robotic tuning thing.

It's not designed to KEEP you in tune. It's more meant for you to be able to SWITCH tunings on the fly.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
I think we're all missing the point of the robotic tuning thing.

It's not designed to KEEP you in tune. It's more meant for you to be able to SWITCH tunings on the fly.

I realize that, but even something that useful takes away from the feel of owning a bass (or a stringed instrument of any kind, for that matter). I just don't like the idea of having something partially robotic on my instrument. Just an opinion
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by Your41Plague12
I realize that, but even something that useful takes away from the feel of owning a bass (or a stringed instrument of any kind, for that matter). I just don't like the idea of having something partially robotic on my instrument. Just an opinion

Yeah, and I would share your opinion of the Robot was the only way to tune. You can still play the instrument and tune it like normal, but if you want to get the job done fast, gaboom, you can.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Yeah, and I would share your opinion of the Robot was the only way to tune. You can still play the instrument and tune it like normal, but if you want to get the job done fast, gaboom, you can.

That's cool, I just don't like it. I'd prefer to tune a bass myself than to trust something mechanical to do the job. I just don't have the luck to warrant that kind of high-tech gear . It seems to me like everything I touch breaks, which is one more reason I'm looking at a Precision as my next bass. I like how they feel, I like how they sound, and I like the fact that they're built like tanks
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

^I kind of feel the same way--I'd rather do it myself, ergo the Big brother comment in my first post.

I was discussing the robot guitar with two guitarist friends over lunch yesterday and they both pointed out (jokingly) that if they bought the robot guitar, they would lose the greatest reason they give to their significant others for acting on GAS. "We'll, I need three guitars for gigging, ya know, 'cause I need this guitar for this tuning...and that guitar for that tuning...
Quote by anarkee
^I kind of feel the same way--I'd rather do it myself, ergo the Big brother comment in my first post.

I was discussing the robot guitar with two guitarist friends over lunch yesterday and they both pointed out (jokingly) that if they bought the robot guitar, they would lose the greatest reason they give to their significant others for acting on GAS. "We'll, I need three guitars for gigging, ya know, 'cause I need this guitar for this tuning...and that guitar for that tuning...

Good call, thank God I'm not married yet! I can do whatever I like in respect to bass playing and get away with it . The one thing that I would really like about it though is the little LED that has to do with the intonation. That's really handy.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by shut_up_you_***

Then...

Ah yes. I see your bassdroid friend is sporting a beautiful, military-black finish Warwick Assault Trooper, or ASB3004. Also available with advanced polycarbonate suppressor, grenade launcher attachment, laser scope, drum feeder, and monkey grip!
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
Ah yes. I see your bassdroid friend is sporting a beautiful, military-black finish Warwick Assault Trooper, or ASB3004. Also available with advanced polycarbonate suppressor, grenade launcher attachment, laser scope, drum feeder, and monkey grip!

You forgot to mention it has a convenient can opener at the back.
Page 1 of 2