So i'm making a new band with influences far from close genres. Going from Experimental (The Mars Volta, Fall of Troy), Post Hardcore (Alexisonfire), to Metalcore/Hardcore (Misery Signals, American Me).

I'm the guitarist, not the lead, but I'm gonna be making all of the songs, since the other guitarist is involved in a bigger project which he writes there.

Now my question is, I am kind of in a lack of creativity when it comes to making technical things. So how can I fuse influences from these bands and genres I have mentioned to make my own music. I want to make something original, but at the same time, it gets pretty hard when most of the riffs you make sound like something someone has heard. I'm trying to go as much as I can without breakdowns, but making something that can range from a soft riff to a brutal (not br00tal as in deathcore, but brutal as in a killer awesome ownage) riff. Something ranging from singed vocals to heavy screaming.

Also, if there are any good bands that I can get some good influences from that sounds like what I'd like, i'd be pleased to hear from these.
i never understand why people ask this question

1. if you are really passionate about the music, you should know basic riffs and what makes it heavy music. don't ask for bands to sound like, it just makes you sound like you wanna hop on the trend and make a heavy band without even liking the music

2. why would you want to sound like another band
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c

1. if you are really passionate about the music, you should know basic riffs and what makes it heavy music. don't ask for bands to sound like, it just makes you sound like you wanna hop on the trend and make a heavy band without even liking the music

this too
Quote by pmeg568c

It's not about sounding like another band, but using other bands style and mix it with my own to make what could be the coolest band in my scene, which does suck by the way.

I do know basic riffs to the style I like, the problem is I can't really put them together into something that'll sound different from other metalcore/hardcore bands that go from singing to screaming to breakdowns and repeat.

So I'm just really looking for tips on writing this style of music rather than asking how to actually play it, because I can, the problem I have is putting it together into one piece.
Quote by TheSound
It's not about sounding like another band, but using other bands style and mix it with my own to make what could be the coolest band in my scene, which does suck by the way.

I do know basic riffs to the style I like, the problem is I can't really put them together into something that'll sound different from other metalcore/hardcore bands that go from singing to screaming to breakdowns and repeat.

So I'm just really looking for tips on writing this style of music rather than asking how to actually play it, because I can, the problem I have is putting it together into one piece.

You should never be in a band to be "cool".
last.fm | Rush Hour | Dead Format
Quote by HxC73107
pray for plagues or off the heezay by bring me the horizon both great songs specially when ur at a pit at trhe reall show
Write. Then write more. Then write more. Then throw it all out and start again.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Alright. So I realized what I'm going through is a writer's block, if that's what I can call it. I can't really come up with riffs that come to my concept of original.

How do you guys cope with blocks?
Don't mean to be harsh, but how can we tell you how to write the music you want to write?
There is poetry in despair.
You have to be in the right mood.

If you try to write without any inspiration, you'll get nowhere and write bland, generic ****.

Try listening to a song that really hits the spot and let it inspire you. This is what I usually do and it puts me in a creative mood every time.

You'll know when you're in the mood because playing the guitar will feel great and be lots of fun and you won't want to put it down, and you'll come up with heaps of riffs.
Don't over complicate things too much.

when you're writing songs keep in mind that there is going to be vocals over the top. I know heaps of dudes who always write really awsome songs on guitar pro but ditch them because they thing they sound to boring. I know that sounds rediculously obvious but often when people are writing music its something they overlook.
Quote by hardcorestevo
WTF!!! B for my V is not hardcore. a real hardcore band is when there is nobody trying to get to the front the whole thing is a ****ing mosh pit
SUICIDE SILENCE!!
BMTH!!!
IKTPK!!!!
Hello!?!?!?!
Quote by Paracetamol
Don't over complicate things too much.

when you're writing songs keep in mind that there is going to be vocals over the top. I know heaps of dudes who always write really awsome songs on guitar pro but ditch them because they thing they sound to boring. I know that sounds rediculously obvious but often when people are writing music its something they overlook.

I know this problem too well. For months I'd sit down and come up with stuff I could barely play, the riffs sounded cool but you need simple parts too, because they tend to be catchier. And, if you're not very good at guitar, tech-anything isn't the genre you should try writing for.

Quote by TheSound
Alright. So I realized what I'm going through is a writer's block, if that's what I can call it. I can't really come up with riffs that come to my concept of original.

How do you guys cope with blocks?

Normally, I take breaks. In fact, I've been "working on a album, man" for the past 15 months. Geez, I'm almost Axl Rose. Anyways, have you considered smoking up before you write?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
I know this problem too well. For months I'd sit down and come up with stuff I could barely play, the riffs sounded cool but you need simple parts too, because they tend to be catchier. And, if you're not very good at guitar, tech-anything isn't the genre you should try writing for.

Normally, I take breaks. In fact, I've been "working on a album, man" for the past 15 months. Geez, I'm almost Axl Rose. Anyways, have you considered smoking up before you write?

I don't smoke. Although me and some friends are gonna get a hookah and try that :P

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

What are some good songs I can play that are good for inspiring?
Quote by TheSound
I don't smoke. Although me and some friends are gonna get a hookah and try that :P

hahaha he ment weed dude, it really helps with song writting..or atleast your riffs sound amazing at the time.
Quote by hardcorestevo
WTF!!! B for my V is not hardcore. a real hardcore band is when there is nobody trying to get to the front the whole thing is a ****ing mosh pit
SUICIDE SILENCE!!
BMTH!!!
IKTPK!!!!
Hello!?!?!?!

Sup dude

something thats given me alot of inspiration when it comes to songwriting has been the UG's lessons on how to apply different musical techniques.Although i'm into different bands in the hardcore/metal genre i recon any guitarist who has studied these techniques,knows how to apply them and knows why the guitarist put them there will have a much easier job when it comes to the task of songwriting.

Naturally no two guitarists can sound the same,every guitarist has different influences,different techniques they've practiced and different aggresiveness when it comes to biting into there guitar strings.So even if you have riffs that sound the same or identical to your influences its not a big problem provided that when you leave a band practice the song sounds different to the original(which it should do naturally).

Normally coming up with a catchy riff is a good way to start any song,something thats gona involve the audience immediatly and thats not gona be impossible to play.4 this you could use techniques such as tuplets,pedaling,harmonics,palm muting,the list is endless.Remember that coming up with a catchy riff takes time(even guys like kirk hamlet take weeks to find the riff he's looking for) and that other guys in the band are also there to help you out.

With this also comes the task of song layout which is equally as important as intros and riff writing.Consider points like: how is this song progressing?what type of lyrics do i want to put in the song and where do i want them to be placed in the song?what features can i put in to make this song unique?.Trust me you'll be on your way to making a song in no time.

hope sum of this helped,U-Legend
Quote by u-legend
Naturally no two guitarists can sound the same,every guitarist has different influences,different techniques they've practiced and different aggresiveness when it comes to biting into there guitar strings.So even if you have riffs that sound the same or identical to your influences its not a big problem provided that when you leave a band practice the song sounds different to the original(which it should do naturally).

i use a pick
Just keep writing songs and eventually you should develop your own sound. You're going to be doing a lot of remodeling and creating new songs.

It's a long and tedious process. =P
you should get into some softer bands as well as hardcore/metalcore.
i write stuff along the lines of hopesfall/misery signals/shai hulud, but i draw a lot of my influences from post-rock/instrumental bands as well as heavy bands.
i find that if you just listen to one genre, you are going to sound generic. try getting into bands with lots of atmostpheric guitars/effects.
my main influences are russian circles, pelican, hopesfall, circa survive, on broken wings and the gorgeous.
these help me diversify my sound.

hope this helps.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
What he said ^

I also recommend Sigur Ros, This Will Destroy You and Explosions In The Sky. Learn to write melodic stuff before writing heavy riffs.