Alright so I'm having trouble tuning.. yeah I know sounds noobish but its not
Ill get my low e in tune, then ill tune relative to that until the b string, and all those string will be in tune according to a tuner, but then if i tune my high e to the tuner, it wont be in tune relative to the b string, which is in tune to the tuner. so when i tune my high e relative to my b string it will sound good but then if i play the high e and low e they wont match because the high e is out of tune even though its in tune relative to the b. what the ****. if anyone can understand what im saying please give me some ideas as to why this is happening. i know when i tune the low e and then proceed to tune the rest the low e will change a little bit but even when i go back and fix it and the other strings this will still happen.
sounds like you need to adjust the intonation for the High E string. Tune your High E with the tuner then fret it at the 12th fret with the tuner if the note is sharp then you have to move the saddle back (Away from the neck) if the note is Flat then move the saddle forwards (Towards the neck) adjust it a little bit then retune the string open and recheck it yuo may have to do this a couple of times to get it right. It works best with a tuner that has a needle gauge as opposed to ones with lights.
Hope this helps....
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by GOLDIE93
sounds like you need to adjust the intonation for the High E string. Tune your High E with the tuner then fret it at the 12th fret with the tuner if the note is sharp then you have to move the saddle back (Away from the neck) if the note is Flat then move the saddle forwards (Towards the neck) adjust it a little bit then retune the string open and recheck it yuo may have to do this a couple of times to get it right. It works best with a tuner that has a needle gauge as opposed to ones with lights.
Hope this helps....

Intonation has nothing to do with the tone of an open string.

And, I would say to ignore the tuner and to tune with what sounds right in comparison to the rest of the strings.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Quote by MurderWorship
Intonation has nothing to do with the tone of an open string.

And, I would say to ignore the tuner and to tune with what sounds right in comparison to the rest of the strings.

Are you on crack? Who said anything about tone ?

He tunes his High E with a tuner and his B with a tuner then when he frets the B string at the 5th fret and hits the High E open they are not in tune anymore.
If you read his post he also said that when he just tunes it by ear relative to the other strings the high E is still out when you fret it on the neck...

If I am wrong I will apologize but his discription is screaming intonation issues....

I have had similar issues before with the G string on one of my guitars and adjusting the intonation fixed it. Check the intonation on all the strings just to be safe.
If it's the intonation, it isn't the high E that's out of intonation..

Intonation keeps all of the "fretted" notes in tune to the scale of the neck..

It is possible that the B string needs to be intoned, because if fretted on the 5th fret it might be a bit flat or sharp depending on the intonation....

But yes, it IS correct that intonation has nothing to do with an open string playing a note.

I also might add that the intonation may need to be adjusted for all strings..
It's not a bad idea to do this frequently anyways....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Dammit now I have to appologize.....
Of course it would be the B string not the E Looks like I am the one on Crack today.
I knew what I wanted to say but being slightly retarded I got it backwards.
now MurderWorship's comment about the open string makes perfect sense now that I have re-read what I posted.

Sorry Dude.....