So I've been asked to play bass for one of my buddies bands, I'm primarily a guitar player been playing for 4 years, but I play a bit of bass, now I want to get more serious on bass, can you guys give me some tips, exercises warm ups ect. and Im playing with fingers if that tells you anything.

Thanks
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
Last edited by gibson_10 at Feb 25, 2008,
i had the same situation. but i went back to guitar. just develop a finger technique. its weird to get used to, but youll get it. mine was weird, for a fast 4 count i used 3-1-2-1 (#s being the fingers). still practice scales like you would on a guitar (if you practice scales). just go on ahead and play dude.
it's the same, just bigger and lower. bit different feel, but not hard to switch over.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
for some it is a misconception. unless you play like cliff willams of AC/DC. then you have no problem with the switch. granted the bass is a longer insturment, and is an octave lower. but the more you play, you will notice several differrences. where the basic rhythm of a song on guitar is usually confined on guitar, the bass can form runs and fills to add depth and flavor
Read the FAQ, use the search bar.

I am sorry to vent my spleen on the TS, but this has been asked quite a bit over the past few days. Its like someone declared February as the official "Guitarists to Convert to Bass Month".
Thanks guys, you guys wanna tell me some ways to practice my right hand.

Thanks
Quote by cashewchaching
it's the same, just bigger and lower. bit different feel, but not hard to switch over.

Dude, you've said this like 3 times today and yesterday. If you're playing the bass like a big, low guitar, you're a shitty bass player. Period. I don't care how many instruments you play.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
here's somethign i used to use, i learned it for a song in a band. i had to emulate a train taking off with my bass, so start with your open. slowly at first, then gradually pick up speed until your galloping along
Quote by gibson_10
Thanks guys, you guys wanna tell me some ways to practice my right hand.

Thanks

If you're doing fingerstyle, ALWAYS ALTERNATE THOSE FINGERS. It's very hard at the beginning, but once you're there, you're set.

But the LEFT HAND is the biggest difference between bass and guitars. To be an effective bass player, you should try to keep your fingers totally paralell to the frets, one finger per fret, and only have your thumb on the back of the neck as a pivot point. That whole John Mayer put-your-thumb-around-the-neck guitar thing won't cut it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
If you're doing fingerstyle, ALWAYS ALTERNATE THOSE FINGERS. It's very hard at the beginning, but once you're there, you're set.

But the LEFT HAND is the biggest difference between bass and guitars. To be an effective bass player, you should try to keep your fingers totally paralell to the frets, one finger per fret, and only have your thumb on the back of the neck as a pivot point. That whole John Mayer put-your-thumb-around-the-neck guitar thing won't cut it.

So should my thumb be on the skunk stripe?
Last edited by gibson_10 at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by gibson_10
So hsould my thumb be on the skunk stripe?

Yeah, that's a great place to put it. That's smack-dab in the middle of the neck and you should be able to reach every string with relative ease.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
most of the time it will stay on the skunk stripe. the only time you have to move it is if your doing more complex runs.

i have a pretty good sized mit. so keeping my thumb in the middle of the neck gets difficult on my higher strings durring runs.
Last edited by damienblack333 at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by damienblack333
most of the time it will stay on the skunk stripe. the only time you have to move it is if your doing more complex runs.

Or if you (I) have really crappy technique.

I'll blame my large palms and small fingers for that one, though it's no excuse.
And how should I develope speed, just scales?
Any sort of drills involving scales and arpeggios, along with "spider" exercises are good for building speed. The key is to do it with a metronome. That way you develop speed and a good locked rhythm. You are now a rhythm instrument, repeat this to yourself constantly.

And speed means nada if you don't play with a good locked rhythm and good tone. Building a solid sense of rhythm and a overall good tone / technique at this stage is far more important than speed.

Quote by gibson_10

Another way to look at it is that there should always be some "air" between your thumb /index and the bass neck when you hold the neck. And use a strap always--this will allow you to focus on fretting and not supporting the neck with your hand.
Last edited by anarkee at Feb 26, 2008,
Quote by anarkee
Its like someone declared February as the official "Guitarists to Convert to Bass Month".

I thought that was every month?

Quote by gibson_10

Doing that can damage your hand, most people seem to do it, but it is better for your hand to leave the thumb hanging
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Doing that can damage your hand, most people seem to do it, but it is better for your hand to leave the thumb hanging

Can you please explain how on earth you fret without any support on the back of the neck?

And although Fitz preaches the joys of having the thumb bang in the middle of the neck, I find it quite tricky to play like this on the higher frets, although I still keep one fret per finger with parallel ingers. Although the thumb pivot method is very useful, I find the key thing is to just not fall into a guitarist's fretting method, which will prove a problem as your playing progresses.

And TS, treat it as a whole new instrument, starting as though you had never played guitar. Of course some skills will come easier due to prior kowledge of the fretboard, but if you teach yourself bad guitarist habits on bass, your playing will be severly hampered in the long run.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Can you please explain how on earth you fret without any support on the back of the neck?

And although Fitz preaches the joys of having the thumb bang in the middle of the neck, I find it quite tricky to play like this on the higher frets, although I still keep one fret per finger with parallel ingers. Although the thumb pivot method is very useful, I find the key thing is to just not fall into a guitarist's fretting method, which will prove a problem as your playing progresses.

And TS, treat it as a whole new instrument, starting as though you had never played guitar. Of course some skills will come easier due to prior kowledge of the fretboard, but if you teach yourself bad guitarist habits on bass, your playing will be severly hampered in the long run.

Goddamit, I was thinking of the plucking hand....

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Goddamit, I was thinking of the plucking hand....

Totally. Keeping your plucking thumb on the skunk stripe on the back of your neck can rip your hand in half!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Totally. Keeping your plucking thumb on the skunk stripe on the back of your neck can rip your hand in half!

Quote by DisarmGoliath